Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW X1 (E84) 2009-2015

This is X1 is about the same size as the X3, only a lot lower. So in a way it can do battle with the Q5 and GLK, altough probably those will be tackled by the next generation X3. However here, while the Kuga seems to have quite a success, almost doubling in sales the next SUV which is the Audi Q5.

Also the top 10 sales charts is clearly dominated by C and D segment SUVs, which means that indeed small SUVs are a hot thing right now, or at least they sell more than big ones. The first big SUV, down in 15th place, is curiously the Toyota Land Cruiser, ahead of the BMW X5 in 17th.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    By the looks of it, this X1 looks like a competitor for the Infiniti crossover thing that I can't remember. And its not the sexy FX either.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

EX35... and you're pretty much right on there. and also the Acura version of the Accord Crosstour, whatever they are calling it, and then the Lexus RX to a lesser extent.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

i think that globally it will succeed. But i think bmw could have done a much better job with the styling.
    it looks like they were in a rush to put the pieces together, and they didnt fit properly or something.

overall i think it one of the worst looking bmw's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    EX35... and you're pretty much right on there. and also the Acura version of the Accord Crosstour, whatever they are calling it, and then the Lexus RX to a lesser extent.
    The ZDX is what you're referring to.

I don't see how BMW will fit this in their lineup- they have the X6, the 5 Gran Turismo weird hatchback thingy, the 5 series sedan, the 5 series wagon, the 3 series sedan and 3 series wagon, not to mention the X3 and X5.

Holy crap, that's a lot of model overlap.

Honestly, there's a lot of better cars in BMW's lineup I'd rather buy. And to be frank, it obviously won't be cheap to any extent anyway, so what's the point?

And I love how Ferrer didn't even bother to capitalize the thread name.

Good on ya. That's what the X1 deserves.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I agree with torque55. It looks very smushed up so-to-speak. I personally think that the only good lookng car(s) in this class are the Infiniti EX35.... and yeah. I seen the other cars and I personally think they look wretched.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

There's no such thing as a good looking SUV.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would disagree - there are some SUV's that look at least fit for purpose (Freelander 2) or like a raised hot hatch (Tiguan).

This is BMW at it's product niching, slash styling, rip-off merchant worst though.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I would disagree - there are some SUV's that look at least fit for purpose (Freelander 2)
    Pity that the real purpose is hardly practiced, and that therefore most of the time it looks completely unfit for use....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Looking match fit is the aim for most people.

The Freelander is just one of the few that can back up it's macho presence.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I would disagree - there are some SUV's that look at least fit for purpose (Freelander 2) or like a raised hot hatch (Tiguan).

This is BMW at it's product niching, slash styling, rip-off merchant worst though.
    I can see the beauty in off roaders like Wrangler or a Defender, but an SUV isn't beautiful, mainly because it's hypocrite.
    Visca Catalunya!

I completely get that it's a complete lie of a vehicle - off road prowess that isn't there as a trade off to road manners which are also not there.

But there are some which, if you ignore the hatred you heap on the entire field of vehicles, are actually OK. The Freelander is moderately capable off road, certainly fit for purpose, and won't throw you off the road in a sudden manouvre.

The Tiguan handles very well by all accounts, is capable (if a little dull) but trades off road prowess for on road manners. Again, a delibrate and successful attempt to make the car more than a stop gap.

The fact remains the market is there for high vehicles that don't look like eggs or vans. They might as well be good.

I can see your point, but I can't still get around the lie and the complete pointlessness by having too many points to cover.

Altough if I squint hard maybe I could fully agree with you. Probably.
    Visca Catalunya!

I guess my point is - if you're going to be a whore for money, be the best god damn whore you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I can see your point, but I can't still get around the lie and the complete pointlessness by having too many points to cover.

Altough if I squint hard maybe I could fully agree with you. Probably.
    I fail to understand why people buy a car that sacrifices road going capabilities for an option that the majority of the buyers will not even use. The story about all those UK X5 owners that could go nowhere during the recent heavy snows, because they fitted low profile steam rollers in stead of normal tires is symptomatic.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information