Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Amelia Island Concours

i love the 917s... it was surprising seeing them in person as to how small they actually are.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

How about some brass?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i love the 917s... it was surprising seeing them in person as to how small they actually are.
    They're tiny. Sitting in one, head and legs angled to the left make one understand how commited the drivers were to using the beast on track. The CanAm cars are more comfortable, but imagine driving such a compact package with upwards of 1100hp!
    Last edited by csl177; 03-18-2010 at 02:11 PM.

well, the engine cover on the 917-30 is not really small. Having stood next to the 16 cylinder recently also does not give you this impression of smallness...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    They're tiny. Sitting in one, head and legs angled to the left make one understand how commited the drivers were to using the beast on track. The CanAm cars are more comfortable, but imagine driving such a compact package with upwards of 1100hp!
    i'd still love to try... and that yellow mercer was one of my favorites from pebble.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Yeah, I love Mercers... America's first supercar.

Here's a couple of old track cars, the yellow one freshly restored by Geoff Hacker, the other a survivor:
    Attached Images Attached Images

coming to think of it, they are also look tiny because our everyday cars have grown so big so we got used that sort of sizes. Compared to an Austin Healey Frogeye, the 917 will look massive...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Perhaps "tiny" is the wrong word (unless discussing the cockpit)... but certainly the proportions decieve.
    It's not a big car compared to a GT40 or Ferrari 512, especially not compared to modern cars!

Speaking of small, what do you think of the yellow tanker above? Check out that cockpit: a bicycle seat.
    Last edited by csl177; 03-19-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Perhaps "tiny" is the wrong word (unless discussing the cockpit)... but certainly the proportions decieve.
    It's not a big car compared to a GT40 or Ferrari 512, especially not compared to modern cars!

Speaking of small, what do you think of the yellow tanker above? Check out that cockpit: a bicycle seat.
    It should have the same dimensions as a 512, more or less, same class, same philosophy, but offhand I would say it is bigger than a GT40.
    My experience with a bicycle seat at high speeds is quite good, but with a bike you can lean into a corner, but not with this yellow contraption

Cobra CSX2171, pulled out of a Utah closet enclosure, hidden under a model A Ford for 30 years and displayed without even washing it:

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It should have the same dimensions as a 512, more or less, same class, same philosophy, but offhand I would say it is bigger than a GT40.
    My experience with a bicycle seat at high speeds is quite good, but with a bike you can lean into a corner, but not with this yellow contraption
    Fine then... it just SEEMS small.

Fine then... it just SEEMS small.
    or people would expect it to be larger

A nice little group of British cars; Aston Martin Ulster, lovely AC, MG engine compartment, and a charming front-wheel-drive BSA.

motion shots

Here are some motion shots I took. This is what makes this such a cool event, to see these magnificent beast strolling the green carpet at the Ritz. Very cool.

The cars were going very slow making it difficult to get much of a blur on any of the images.

Having a media badge made it a bunch easier to get where I wanted. I spoke with the head guy managing the staging area in front of the stands. He said that there used to be a bull pen for photographers but due to size contraints, I had to manage behind the ropes. Well, I managed to hang out with the cops outside the ropes and walk up to shoot what ever cars I wanted in the main thorough causeway. He kept shuttling other guys off but never bothered me. I like getting to events like this early, lets you get familiar with the guys running everything.

regards

Any pics of a blue '65 Aston Martin LHD convertible? or the red Bocar Stiletto?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information