Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangers of Driving Distracted

Dangers of Driving Distracted

Not hard to figure out of course, but of course driving while distracted is retarded and plain stupid.

But, even with many deaths in the US, legislators have not moved towards tougher enforcement of driving while using a cell phone, laptop, etc.

The NY Times have found that although research has been conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it had been withheld for fear of retribution from legislators.

The first link is just about driving distracted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/te...ref=technology

This second one is the article about the research being covered up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/te...racted.html?hp

The stupid part is that this research was conducted many years ago, and if legislation had happened, perhaps some lives might have been saved.

It's pretty much a failure of the Transportation Department altogether, because if they aren't keeping us safe, what the hell are they supposed to be doing otherwise?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.

couldn't agree with you more. i am firmly against talking and driving, and it is unfortunate that it is such a prominent problem has so little being done about it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

It's a shame that we've been reduced to NEEDING a government institution to tell us what to do when we drive. I wish people had the common sense to realize texting in heavy traffic is a bad idea. Amazing how uncommon common sense is.

Legislation has been passed in Canada against using your cell phone behind the wheel. To a certain extent I agree with it, though it's one of those laws that are enforced but not really, you kno? I like it that way, cops are very lenient on it in certain situations (3am in the morning or no traffic or shit like that). They see you being a risk on the road though and they crack down hard.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

When caught behind the wheel with a cellphone, (just having one in your hand is enough) we get a fine of 140 Euros. Still, people making phone calls with a non hands-free phone, is common sight in Dutch traffic....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    couldn't agree with you more. i am firmly against talking and driving, and it is unfortunate that it is such a prominent problem has so little being done about it.
    Yeah, I make sure my phone is turned off when I drive. And if it does ring, I ignore it.

Or, if I can, I hand it off to a passenger in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    It's a shame that we've been reduced to NEEDING a government institution to tell us what to do when we drive. I wish people had the common sense to realize texting in heavy traffic is a bad idea. Amazing how uncommon common sense is.

Legislation has been passed in Canada against using your cell phone behind the wheel. To a certain extent I agree with it, though it's one of those laws that are enforced but not really, you kno? I like it that way, cops are very lenient on it in certain situations (3am in the morning or no traffic or shit like that). They see you being a risk on the road though and they crack down hard.
    No one really cares about it- I mean, some cops pull people over for it, but not nearly as much as I wish they did.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    When caught behind the wheel with a cellphone, (just having one in your hand is enough) we get a fine of 140 Euros. Still, people making phone calls with a non hands-free phone, is common sight in Dutch traffic....
    It's illegal in NY, but as I said, it's not enforced as much as it should be. Which is a shame, because it can cost someone's life.

NY always complains about the budget. This can so easily be used to fill it in.

I'm going to be provocative:
    You are having a phone call while driving, and something happens in front of view. You probably need to brake as hard as possible, which could require you to grab the steering wheel with both your hands, let alone if you have to avoid an obstacle because there isn't enough space to stop the car.
    You could drop the phone, and try to save yourself from your stupidity.

What if you were smoking?
    Apart from ruining the interior with a bad smell and ash all over the place it still requires a couple of your fingers, depending on your "habit".
    Surely, a lighted cigarette wouldn't ve the first thing to be dropped in a car. I'm not saying you should keep it in order to avoid to burn the seats or carpets, just that someone could do so, making even a cigarette potentially dangerous while driving.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

yep and of course let's not forget the "conversation" which can be a distraction.

So the wife and the two kids in the back seats will need to be drugged to stop them taking away adrivers attention ?

Another "wrong solution to the problem" .... the issue is BAD DRIVERS who don't take into account the environment they are driving in and do not concentrate whilst driving.
    A person who allows a significant part of their consciousness NOT to be employed on driving shoulnd't BE driving. If it's not the miobile, it'll be the radio or the cute woman on the street corner ! ( I had to smooth things over after MY nephew drove into the rear of someone whilst he was looking at the very pretty ladies in Glasgow and say "wow look at her" to his mate ... then bang )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yep and of course let's not forget the "conversation" which can be a distraction.

So the wife and the two kids in the back seats will need to be drugged to stop them taking away adrivers attention ?

Another "wrong solution to the problem" .... the issue is BAD DRIVERS who don't take into account the environment they are driving in and do not concentrate whilst driving.
    A person who allows a significant part of their consciousness NOT to be employed on driving shoulnd't BE driving. If it's not the miobile, it'll be the radio or the cute woman on the street corner ! ( I had to smooth things over after MY nephew drove into the rear of someone whilst he was looking at the very pretty ladies in Glasgow and say "wow look at her" to his mate ... then bang )
    while i completely agree with you, if you make something illegal with sharp penalties you can effectively curtail the prevalence. drunk driving is an excellent parallel, the numbers of drunk drivers has fallen off considerably since the penalties became very very severe. it hasn't stopped it, but it has slowed appreciably. the same should be done for cellphones. the articles say that there is very little difference between the two, so why should they be treated differently?
    there are always distractions, but most of those are short term, changing the radio station, adjusting the A/C, or observing the female specimens on the street corner. but like alcohol, cell phones take your attention away from the road for significant amounts of time. while talking you can at least keep your eyes up, but texting removes your eyes from the road for several seconds. i can't support the only stupid people do it argument, and that those people shouldn't be behind the wheel. if thats the case, then a majority of the driving population shouldn't be on the roads.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    a majority of the driving population shouldn't be on the roads.
    end of thread
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

every discussion on safe driving ends up with half of the population not being qualified to drive, license schools being pointless and enthusiasts screwed in the middle for whatever reason.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    every discussion on safe driving ends up with half of the population not being qualified to drive, license schools being pointless and enthusiasts screwed in the middle for whatever reason.
    and the other half joins automotive fora...

I make quick phone calls on my cell when driving but it's for my job and I only do it at red lights or stop signs. The call takes 15 seconds and I hang up, which admittedly could be a bit dangerous but it makes work much more efficient.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I make quick phone calls on my cell when driving but it's for my job and I only do it at red lights or stop signs. The call takes 15 seconds and I hang up, which admittedly could be a bit dangerous but it makes work much more efficient.
    do you actually STOP at stop signs????

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    do you actually STOP at stop signs????
    Claro.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Claro.
    strange, I have been taught by a distinct member of the Calgary police to always apply the so-called rolling stop. Very effective...

Thread Information