Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are American Cars so BIG?

Quote Originally Posted by MrVette83
    Well, keep in mind most of the American public are unaware of what that car is, the main point behind that commercial is to show the RT model(Hemi powered) as sporty and fun. They're not attempting to say that a Magnum can outperform an Esprit at all, the HP numbers are close(350 in the lotus, 345 in the magnum) but that's about the only thing.
    I can now see ALL those kiddies coming on UCP and boasting how trashy European sports cars are based on that subjective television.

Try that over here in a free country and the advertising standards authority would get the ad pulled We don't allow lies
    ( Well unless you're Blair and you want to go play soldiers with your best buddy )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Actually that commercial wasn't a flat-out race, rather a highway passing situation where the Hemi-powered Magnum's low-end torque powered it past the Lotus, mildly surprising the Lotus driver. And the message of the commercial was not that the Magnum was faster, rather that it could hold its own AND has a lot of utility. At the end the Lotus driver rolls down the window and asks, "What have you got in that thing?"
    The Magnum driver turns and looks behind his seat and says, "A guitar, amp, surfboard, and a dozen 2x4's."

As for big cars and SUV's I figure to each his own. If my neighbor wants to buy an over-priced gas-hog of an SUV when a smaller car would probably serve his purpose, well that's his right. He's the one that has to fork out the cash to fuel and insure the darn thing. He accepts those consequences when he buys the vehicle. I prefer a smaller vehicle that sits low to the ground. (though it's got a decently large engine, so the mileage isn't great) I often have trouble seeing around large SUV's. I knew that when I bought the car. That's a consequence of my purchase and my decision. I'm not one to say, "I can't see around these *#$^&% SUV's! And they're dangerous to other cars and burn too much gas! They should be banned!". See, my preference is to drive a 16-year old Japanese import because it's rare and RWD and a good balance between performance and economy, and maintaining and modifying it provides a nice challenge and taxes my ingenuity. And I paid cash for it. Now, if I start saying that those SUV drivers shouldn't be allowed to drive their behemoth gas-guzzlers because they're too big, or inefficient, or hard to see around, or dangerous to other cars, then what right would I have to complain if someone else said that the cars I like should be banned because they're too old, or they don't have the latest emissions and safety technology (what's an airbag?) Or maybe Ferraris should be banned because they burn too much gas and no one should spend that much on a car? See what I mean? I dislike SUV's as much as anyone, but what I despise more is hypocrisy, so if I don't want my own decisions and preferences to be attacked, then I will not attack the decisions and preferences of SUV drivers.

Aside from SUV's American cars aren't that big these days. Even the "full-size" category, cars like the Crown Victoria and the Chrysler 300, are much smaller than full size cars were 20 years ago. And they were that big than because they were mostly holdovers from the '70s, before the gas crunches, when fuel was REALLY cheap, no one thought about emissions, and the bigger your car the cooler you were. And yes, the roads here in the US are for the most part much less demanding on suspension and handling than European roads. Most routes were laid out during the 20th century, many during the Depression when the government was doing all sorts of projects just to make work for people, lots of highways were built, tunnels blasted through mountains, hills flattened, etc. The end result is that our roads are for the most part relatively straight and flat. And then starting in the '50s the Eisenhower Interstate System was built (and continues to be built), which features even straighter, smoother roads, banked turns, etc. They're designed to allow you to hold a constant speed for hours and hours and miles and miles and keep traffic flowing. They usually go around large cities, using connecting spurs to reach into the more populated areas. And yes, they're often painfully boring, but they are a very efficient way to get from point A to point B. Of course there are some good twisty roads in the more mountainous areas.
    Last edited by cls12vg30; 07-19-2004 at 02:46 PM.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    I figure to each his own. If my neighbor wants to buy an over-priced gas-hog of an SUV when a smaller car would probably serve his purpose, well that's his right. He's the one that has to fork out the cash to fuel and insure the darn thing. He accepts those consequences when he buys the vehicle.(...)
    Yes very true and I agree... but although I am bitching and nagging on big Trucks/Suvs (wich I like little) I just want to say that a european coupé its more of a car to me than a more rare and big american stand-off truck or even a Chrysler...judging the sizes of them and just plain image ......and this is just MHO....

I live deep in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, so life without a Big Car would be Impossible. We own a Ford F-150 V8, a Toyota 4runner, and a very basic Hummer (That is only used when is snows.) A small car would never make it up here, and I drive my 4runner when ever possible because it gets 27 MPG.

One thing I really hate about modern America is that everyone goes out and buys Luxary SUV's for the apperance. The don't need them, and they don't help them at all.

I go to a Lake in Nebraska with really loose sand. My 4runner can make it through the sand, but I see alot of BMW X5, H2's, Mercedes-Benz ML350, Cadillac Escalades, and other Luxary SUV's getting stuck, and I would know I help push them out. It really makes me mad to see people who think that there piece of sh*t Luxary SUV's are really worth us sharing the road, and the beach with.
    Last edited by Shiftty; 07-19-2004 at 09:24 PM.
    The Beautiful Roar of the Engine, The awesome curves on the panels. The sun gilmering off the windsheild. The steering wheel just waiting.
    -The Car.

- § Ben §

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftty
    I see alot of BMW X5, H2's, Mercedes-Benz ML350, Cadillac Escalades, and other Luxary SUV's getting stuck, and I would know I help push them out.
    Let them dig themselves out!
    They bought a crap off roader, so it's their fault when it gets stuck off road.
    If they buy a crap off roader, and go off roading without the appropriate kit, they deserve everything the get.

Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by MrVette83
    We(my family) have three "big" vehicles......Ford F350 dually.....Chevy 3500 flatbed.....Chevy Avalanche.....
    Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.
    You just can't understand American Farmers/ranchers need trucks to survive.
    Last edited by Shiftty; 07-19-2004 at 09:26 PM.
    The Beautiful Roar of the Engine, The awesome curves on the panels. The sun gilmering off the windsheild. The steering wheel just waiting.
    -The Car.

- § Ben §

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftty
    You can't understand. American Farmers/ranchers need trucks to survive.
    Very true, you can't pull a horse trailer with 3 horses in it or a car trailer with a geo. I have a dodge dakota V8, which gets about 20 mpg, and a lot less when towing. But, I need it to tow my cars. I also think that people feel safer in big vehicles. Also, I don't think you could fit welders, tools, and materials that contractors need into a pirus or citroen.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Let them dig themselves out!
    They bought a crap off roader, so it's their fault when it gets stuck off road.
    If they buy a crap off roader, and go off roading without the appropriate kit, they deserve everything the get.

I know, but its funny to watch them when they first get stuck, they have no idea what to do.
    I don't have it in my heart to not help the stupid rich loser, plus its not that hard and the usally give me a twenty (extra cash)
    -The Car.

- § Ben §

Question WHO's kidding WHOM???

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomet
    Oh come on you guys! How about the Hummer and the enormous SUVs? Do You think they are bought mainly as a labour tool!!!! I think not ..... I remember one article I read in National Geographic Magazine were a womem talked about her Hummer H2. She pointed out that she Knew It was not the most FUEL EFICIENT car...........but she was glad to owne a car that would overcome any obstacle in the road ( a small car maybe?!) and it had the plus of her kids camping inside it for fun!!!!??????? Come on man!

What do You think about that?
    Do YOU think?

The MOST EXPENSIVE CAR/SUV sold in Australia, in terms of running costs, at more than $A17,000.00 a year,
    is JAPANESE -
    Toyota Land Cruiser!

The Cruiser weighs approx. 3,250 kgs all-up
    A Range Rover 3,100 kgs
    A VW Touareg V8 (not V10) 3,000 kgs
    A Dodge Durango 3,000 kgs
    A Jeep Grand Cherokee O/L 2,500 kgs

If fuel consumption is the issue -
    why is one of the biggest selling SUV's in the world (see Land Cruiser) -
    also one of the most expensive to run -
    and among the biggest and heaviest?

Come on -
    man?

WHO CAME UP WITH
    THIS GUY'S NAME? - 'AutoMotivated' - what a w.....r

If your life's not cars
    it's not worth living!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I can now see ALL those kiddies coming on UCP and boasting how trashy European sports cars are based on that subjective television.

Try that over here in a free country and the advertising standards authority would get the ad pulled We don't allow lies
    ( Well unless you're Blair and you want to go play soldiers with your best buddy )
    In America we have a law that prohibits false advertisment. You can make a commercial that gives the appearance of a more powerful car (thus the Magnum) than another car, and you can give the excuse that the opposing car (Thus the Lotus) is not giving it as much gas therefore it is going slower.

-Think outside the box.

-Not to be rude, because I agree the magnum is a carzy gas guzzler, and the Lotus is much nicer.
    Last edited by Shiftty; 07-19-2004 at 05:58 PM.
    -The Car.

- § Ben §

Quote Originally Posted by brum
    State our opinion and whatever your country thinks of Americas love affair with large pick-ups etc.
    Because they like them and have grown up with them. Why does everyone have to justify it? Why do Europeans make outrageously fast and expensive sports cars? Why does anyone make a car bigger than a pulsar, why do we have cars that exceed the speed limit. Cars are not about pragmatism to all people. I imagine thats why we have car related websites. Why dont we all use the bus?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

i guess that answers my question.
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Why dont we all use the bus?
    Coz www.ultimatebuspage.com just wouldn't be as much fun
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Why dont we all use the bus?
    Because a bus round here costs ~3x as much per mile as a reasonable car.
    You still have to walk 1/2 mile to the bus stop
    The bus is always late
    Taking the bus take 30 mins more than driving there in a car
    The bus is full of chavscum, and stinks of a delightful mixture of piss, beer, and vomit.

I have spent an average of 3/4 of an hour per day waiting for a bus for about 5 years when I was going to school. At the end I gave up, and walked for the last 3 years, because I found out that it took 10 mins longer to walk than to get the bus (40mins as opposed to 30mins). I once spent over 1/2 an hour waiting for a bus that was supposed to come every 10 mins, before giving up and walking home in the pissing rain in the dark in the depths of winter.
    Also every 6 months they cranked up the price by 5p, well above inflation (7% increase at 70p, 4.5% increase at £1.10 for just over a mile. Inflation roughly 2.5% p.a.) with no improvement in service.

I really hate busses.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information