Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get into motorsport?

Not so long ago

Since i played gran turismo my whole world has changed,,,, 1998 i remember yes..

i think thats a mistake i made on the karts...despite the heavy steering, i still felt like the gokart would get tangled up if i let it do its own thing too much, so i gripped on for my life
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i think thats a mistake i made on the karts...despite the heavy steering, i still felt like the gokart would get tangled up if i let it do its own thing too much, so i gripped on for my life
    well before I get blamed for causing a pile-up in a corner next time you're out karting ....

karts take a LOT of force to turn in and keep them on line. So you tend to NEED to have a strongish grip. But on EVERY straight loosen your grip and your shoulders. Let the muscles relax and then prepare for the next corner.

Sorry, I jsut had a vision of you sitting in the traps cursing my name
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

haha nah, why would i do that

i only spun out once and that was going in too hot through the hairpin and that was just a simple 180 just off racing line....

but the course they had setup at Eastern Creek, there was really only 1 major straight, the rest was full of switchbacks and the hairpin
    I am the Stig

wel my fitness is out the wazoo since i stopped playin footy, time to get running again!
    The Datto will rage again...

i think something you gotta focus on is like your breathing patterns and stuff, not so much the physical stuff, but things that'll help you conserve energy etc.

theres some rating for personal fitness, and Cam McConville (Matra wont know him, hes a V8 Supercar driver) has the same level as an iron man or professional cyclist
    I am the Stig

Karts really take it out of you, i was stuffed after a 20 minute session at Hume superkarts... had a great tussle with a mate, im heavier so i can take tighter corners witout slippin out, but he can take the straights at a higher speed, i nearly had him with 5 mins left i could tap his bumper, then i clipped the wall taking the hairpin too tight, put me 7 secs down and i couldnt catch that up in the remainin minutes, damn

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i think something you gotta focus on is like your breathing patterns and stuff, not so much the physical stuff, but things that'll help you conserve energy etc.
    yeah breathing patterns ... like getting the new guys to actually BREATHE
    Seriously lots of newcomers actually tense up and hold their breath through corners. It's all a natural reflex seemingly. One which is counter-productive to fast driving
    theres some rating for personal fitness, and Cam McConville (Matra wont know him, hes a V8 Supercar driver) has the same level as an iron man or professional cyclist
    Don't know him, but a few years back a "superstarts' comp had soem top F1 and rally drivers in it and for their size were showing the big guys a run for their money. I bet todays drivers stamina is even higher. I know Colin McRae is a serious mountain biek rider to keep his strength and endurance up.
    Most folks under-rate what it takes to drive a car fast until they've tried it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I once tryed go-karts but i was to fat for them They had these little ones i sat in it but wasn't confy in the dam thing, The steering was to close and low not what i like, I was pissed, They need to make ones that suit everyone, I got the upper body strength fitness is about min I would love to make my own go-kart.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

thatd be tops, we should all get karts and have a Australian UCP Kart Challenge day! Bathurst here we come!!!

That would be cool man,,, But i need a head start weight disavantage

My mate started in formula V's. (Unfortunately that turned him into a rather irritating VW fanboy!) They are about the cheapest. So the first thing you need is money or a benevolent sponsor. He now races club cars (or whatever the class is now called). You should check a the CAMMS website. Also go along to local race meets and talk to the drivers. If you are genuinely intersted they will put you in touch with the right organisations. My mate got a lot of help and they are communities within themselves. It is in their interest to nurture new drivers.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

VW Fanboy

ill check out the cams website, im goin to buy a helmet and fire extingusher tommorow, theyre a requirement for racing at any level.

If you have lots and lots of money you can get into motoracing really easily, you can skip the go karting step etc. These days teams seem to go moreso for people with money that cant drive then a skilled driver with not much money :S

Go-Karting is leet!! FPV do you go on the Hire Karts or do u have ur own go-kart? If you dont have ur own get ur own and go race its so much better then hire go-karts
    coltyu. d;-)!

Thread Information