Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cars are boring and too huge

New cars are boring and too huge

So I went to the Auto Show today - they had a couple Elises there which totally stood out and got everyone's attention, even next to all the M6s, M5s, Lamborghinis, etc. Also, it seems that all new cars (even 'compact cars') are now massive. Makes me angry. I used to go to the Auto Show and spend 2 or 3 hours, but I could only stand to be there 45 minutes today. 90% of new cars look totally bland, and 9% of the remaining 10% are designed by people with a terrible concept of "daring styling". The current auto industry is in a very boring place.

Rant over
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-09-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Hey, I second that. You got sleek's approval.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Yes,when I went to the auto show I wasn't very impressed.Some cars like the Elise, DB9 and the Cayman were amazing,but most of the cars were ugly or too huge.

I too concur, while there are some standout models they bulk are hideously overdesigned, bloated, or ridiculously bland. Acura is one of the few volume manufacturers whose styling is good across the line. And of course Porsche, except the Cayenne travesty... but it doesn't count in my eyes.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Everything is very bland these days, seems like there isn't too much originality, Ferrari's all look the same, Porsches all look the same, there is no new-looking car and you are right they are much bigger. A lot of cars look bulky and overweight, nothing looks very seek or cool.

The major issue is safety and kit - people want room, safety and stuff, and that can't be fitted into a small car.

I highly doubt people will be willing to give up their electric seat adjustment just to save .4MpG or shirnk the car by .2 Cubic Centimetres.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The major issue is safety and kit - people want room, safety and stuff, and that can't be fitted into a small car.

I highly doubt people will be willing to give up their electric seat adjustment just to save .4MpG or shirnk the car by .2 Cubic Centimetres.
    I basically hate all of these reasons, although I know you're right, and I don't see things changing soon either. The Mk7 VW Golf is going to be the size of a van.

When I first saw pictures of the new Shelby Cobra concept I thought it looked awesome - and it did. I saw it today and was totally turned off - it was MASSIVE! I thought it would be the same size as the old one!
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-09-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Yeah buds I hear you; companies load their cars up with so much shit, and there's a lot of tasteless fools that think bigger is better.

consumer demand fellas. big cars give the illusion of safety, so everyone buys them

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloVT
    consumer demand fellas. big cars give the illusion of safety, so everyone buys them
    Sucks doesn't it? This must be why I like older cars. There's too much safety hysteria. Cars that I drive are safe because I'm driving them, not because they're twice as big as they need to be.

I hate the new Hummers, in fact I hate all Hummers

Heres the thing - people believe that even if they are a crap driver, being in the bigger vehicle in an accident will protect them. Hence most people nowadays are lured into a false sense of security, thinking they'll be protected by the vehicle's smarts or, failing that, inertia.

It's indicative of a world where looking after yourself has become paramount.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

i want the small cars back i've also noticed that even quite small cars today weigh quite a lot
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Heres the thing - people believe that even if they are a crap driver, being in the bigger vehicle in an accident will protect them. Hence most people nowadays are lured into a false sense of security, thinking they'll be protected by the vehicle's smarts or, failing that, inertia.

It's indicative of a world where looking after yourself has become paramount.
    Kinda ironic that bigger cars are more unsafe for their passengers and others, isnt it

Thread Information