Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLaren (F1-2008) MP4-23

McLaren (F1-2008) MP4-23

Hot on the heels of the release of Ferrari's 2008 challenger, McLaren-Mercedes have today unveiled their new car, to be piloted by Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen.

Only one pic so far, McLaren want to release it bit by bit...

[EDIT: More pics to be added as they become available]

MP4-23 FACTFILE

The first design meeting for the MP4-23 took place back in November 2006 with early layout work starting in March 2007.

Wind tunnel work commenced in late May 2007.

Since then the MP4-23 has spent over 3000 hours being developed in the wind tunnel.

The first MP4-23 chassis was ready for bonding in mid November 2007.

Lewis Hamilton, Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett had their provisional seat fittings for the MP4-23 back in September 2007. Heikki Kovalainen was fitted for his seat shortly after being announced as a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver.

The car build process for chassis 1 began in early December 2007 and was finished in early January 2008.

Throughout the development process 150 different engineers have been involved in the whole project in all disciplines.

14000 engineering man hours have so far been put into the MP4-23 development project.

A similar number applies to the manufacturing man hours involved to produce the MP4-23 in time for its track debut on the 9th January 2008.

The MP4-23 is an evolution of the MP4-22 and as such there is no significant visual difference currently, however between now and the first race in Australia there are planned upgrades on most of the aerodynamic surfaces, wings, bodywork, bargeboards and additional bodywork components.

Alongside the development of the 2008 challenger, concept work has been started for the 2009 car since November 2007, with the KERS project (energy storage) beginning a year ago.

MP4-23 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

ENGINE

Type: Mercedes-Benz FO 108V
    Capacity: 2.4 litre
    No. of cylinders: 8
    Max. rpm: 19,000 (FIA regulatory limit since 2007)
    Bank angle: 90O
    Piston bore: maximum 98 mm (FIA regulation)
    Bore spacing: 106.5 mm
    Number of valves: 32
    Fuel: Mobil 1 Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)
    Lubricants: Mobil 1, newly developed 2008 formula for lower friction and better wear resistance
    Engine: 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)

TRANSMISSION

Gearbox Speeds: Seven forward and one reverse
    Semi-auto: Yes
    Driveshafts: McLaren
    Clutch: Hand-operated

Chassis: McLaren moulded carbon fibre/aluminium honeycomb composite incorporating front and side impact structures. Contains integral safety fuel cell
    Front Suspension: Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
    Rear Suspension: Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
    Suspension Dampers: Koni
    Electronics: McLaren Electronic Systems control units incorporating electronics for chassis, engine and data acquisition. McLaren Electronic Systems also supplies the electronic dash board, alternator voltage control, sensors, data analysis and telemetry systems
    Bodywork Construction: One-piece engine cover; separate sidepod covers; separate floor section, structural nose with integral front wing.
    Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza
    Radios: Kenwood
    Race Wheels: Enkei
    Batteries: GS Yuasa Corporation
    Steering: McLaren power-assisted
    Instruments: McLaren Electronic Systems
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 01-07-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

The new era is coming. Look how many aerodynamic elements does it have! I mean, there always were many of them, but thus many... And that little wing between rear wheels... But no moustaches! That's what impressed me. I thought everybody would have moustaches this year... Or is it just like in the end of 1960s - with or without wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Radios: Kenwood
    hamilton is the man... he drives an F1 car and still can listen to his favourite tune (snoop dogg i suppose?) at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    The new era is coming. Look how many aerodynamic elements does it have! I mean, there always were many of them, but thus many... And that little wing between rear wheels... But no moustaches! That's what impressed me. I thought everybody would have moustaches this year... Or is it just like in the end of 1960s - with or without wings?
    in fact new rules are coming, due to with number of aero elements will be drastically lowered
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    14000 engineering man hours have so far been put into the MP4-23 development project.
    would that include the reading of some 700 pages???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thank you for posting these pictures of the new Ferrari-Mercedes...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Thank you for posting these pictures of the new Ferrari-Mercedes...
    It's got to the point where I'm so tired of these Ferrari-McLaren jokes, I wish people would stop judging the car/drivers/team until they get onto the track. It's time to move on, people.

I guess when both Ferrari and McLaren come out with new cars that look 99% the same as last years machinery, its time to shake up the rules again. 2009 cant come soon enough.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I guess when both Ferrari and McLaren come out with new cars that look 99% the same as last years machinery, its time to shake up the rules again. 2009 cant come soon enough.
    It's not that surprising considering both were the dominating cars of the past season. There were days when the same car would be used for four seasons, so this not that unusual.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

delicious)))

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    hamilton is the man... he drives an F1 car and still can listen to his favourite tune (snoop dogg i suppose?) at the same time
    I think they mean radio for communication not entertainment.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17 View Post
    I think they mean radio for communication not entertainment.
    O RLY?
    BTW, where the hell is iPod slot in this car? Every car today has an iPod slot!

I like more than the Ferrari I hope they win this year very interesting year this is going to be
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

I understand that mclaren wants to paint there car red too, but bernie and the FIA say this year they cant do it, but next year they will think about it, mcferrari.
    What's this for?

I dont like the paint scheme on this car. The red and silver on it together just dont look good.
    Last edited by DanicaFan; 01-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    Danica Patrick #7 Motorola Dallara- Future Indy 500 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisEvo View Post
    It's got to the point where I'm so tired of these Ferrari-McLaren jokes, I wish people would stop judging the car/drivers/team until they get onto the track. It's time to move on, people.
    Given the events from last year, don't you think it is a bit "strange" that McLaren gives a full breakdown of design hours spent on the car? I have never seen that anywhere before (did not search for it either), and exactly in this case it may raise some eyebrows...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information