Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opel Vectra is more powerful than Ferrari Enzo

Lightbulb Disel Turbo

You are in fact correct with a Disel being one of the hardest motors to make high performance but if you have noticed in the past 5 years Opel is putting high performance disel's in the market. The Speedster's orginal concept motor was a turbo charged Disel making somewhere around 400hp (don't quote me and if you know the correct spec let me know). The other factor is the Opel is twin turbo charged adding emmense boost pressure air input while the Enzo is normal aspirated and has to have air normally feed into the chambers rather than having a booster (turbo, supercharger) to force the air in creating immense power with out taking up a lot of space or having to run high RPM.
    Bear

yes, that was funny when i found that out....*looks at rx-8*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    It's a bit of a funny comparison but the facts about the diesel are correct. It once more proves the way to go. High output and low mileage.
    There you are. This thread was made for you. Mind you if they made it rear wheel drive I might even have one. Wonder what it sounds like. Very important in the whole driving experience thing for me.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

What about the emissions of diesel engines?
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

I take it that you weren't serious about comparing the two cars... because if you are, you're a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I think people are missing the point. The Vectra is making more BHP/litre than the Ferrari using a diesel engine, something that is not usually associated with a performance engine.
    That is true and I do get the idea behind the thread. And I agree that Diesel is great in a performance car. But the comparison that is being made makes no sense in my opinion.

You compare a turbo to a naturaly aspired engine. And therefor you cannot compare the 2. If you force the air into that ferrari engine I am sure the output per liter would be simpy huge. And the other way around as well, if you remove the turbos from the Vectra there would be very little BHP left.

But still, diesel is great.

Sorry, couldn't leave it (even without introducing myself decently ).

That is true and I do get the idea behind the thread
    Appearantly not all of it. Second point is that it *may* become a production car. That means the engine should be reliable and conform the emission standards.

People cannot buy a twin turbo production ferrari making 1000HP (perhaps on special request, yes). I think the place you'll find such cars will be at a dragstrip. But those engines are highly modified to run with a turbo. And such a modification probably cost a lot more than this Vectra will!

Top of the segment Audi S3/TT Leon CupraR 1.8T engines make 225HP and are production, just like the OPC once may be...

So, it doesn't matter how much air the engine uses. Air is free! The comparisson is about capacity, mpg and power and being for sale!

See more clear now?

spinUp

delete this thread??
    make another catagory.... like.... lame comparisasions??

or please just quit comparing a supercar with a freakin diesel (besides ur talking about a twin-turbo what would happen if you feed the enzo a twin-turbo)

Quote Originally Posted by spinUp
    Sorry, couldn't leave it (even without introducing myself decently ).

Appearantly not all of it. Second point is that it *may* become a production car. That means the engine should be reliable and conform the emission standards.

People cannot buy a twin turbo production ferrari making 1000HP (perhaps on special request, yes). I think the place you'll find such cars will be at a dragstrip. But those engines are highly modified to run with a turbo. And such a modification probably cost a lot more than this Vectra will!

Top of the segment Audi S3/TT Leon CupraR 1.8T engines make 225HP and are production, just like the OPC once may be...

So, it doesn't matter how much air the engine uses. Air is free! The comparisson is about capacity, mpg and power and being for sale!

See more clear now?

spinUp
    Its abit more clear now, however I stick to my point. The comparison doesnt make any sense in my opinion. The TS is comparing 2 completely different techniques and then reaches a conclusion that I dont think he can reach.

And wheter or not it will reach production isnt really relevant in my book. But there will always be different opinions on all subject.

In the end what matters is that our cars are getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    Its abit more clear now, however I stick to my point. The comparison doesnt make any sense in my opinion. The TS is comparing 2 completely different techniques and then reaches a conclusion that I dont think he can reach.

And wheter or not it will reach production isnt really relevant in my book. But there will always be different opinions on all subject.

In the end what matters is that our cars are getting better and better.
    Ofcourse it is a lame comparisson. But it still is an amazing achievement that todays production diesel engines make as much power as todays gassers do. Perhaps the guy that wrote the story just wanted to make that more clear without saying it. I mean everybody knows what a Ferrari is, right?

Personally, I would find it more of a challenge to build a drug-less 300+HP 1.9 or 2L TDI than than doing the same for a gasser. Just because people don't do the first. And I don't care if I have to do 60psi boost or just 18 to reach that. However, I don't like diesel more than gas. It just is the technology and uncharted areas that interest me, which basically is the same you say: "engines get better".

spinUp

let's see the torque-curve or the power output-graph of the diesel. Let's see how much power you can actually utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by sunk
    let's see the torque-curve or the power output-graph of the diesel. Let's see how much power you can actually utilize.
    Percentage wise probably much more than from the high revving Enzo engine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bear87G
    The Speedster's orginal concept motor was a turbo charged Disel making somewhere around 400hp (don't quote me and if you know the correct spec let me know).
    I assume you mean the Opel Ecospeedster (I think it was called that way). It had a 1.3-litre tubodiesel engine pushing out 250bhp. It was used to take on some comsumption and speed records.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    There you are. This thread was made for you. Mind you if they made it rear wheel drive I might even have one. Wonder what it sounds like. Very important in the whole driving experience thing for me.
    Then forget it, diesels, now, sound dreadful. In the future who knows...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Then forget it, diesels, now, sound dreadful. In the future who knows...
    the larger ones really seem to sound nicely. A four pot will just sound like a fourpot.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information