Thread: Mazda Kazamai Concept 2008

Mazda Kazamai Concept 2008

Mazda Kazamai Concept
    Premiere at Moscow International Automobile Salon 2008

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda will unveil a sporty, compact crossover concept vehicle, Mazda Kazamai, at the Moscow International Automobile Salon (MIAS) on August 26. Kazamai, which means “swirling crosswinds” in Japanese, expresses the powerful yet nimble image of a stylish and compact crossover. The concept is based on Mazda’s long-term vision for technology development, Sustainable Zoom-Zoom, which aims to provide a unique balance between sporty driving fun and superior environmental and safety performance. Kazamai will be joined at MIAS by the Russian debut of Mazda’s CX-9 SUV, which was crowned 2008 North American Truck of the Year in February.

The Kazamai concept further evolves Mazda’s ‘Nagare’ design language by fusing Nagare’s ‘flow’ design cues with aerodynamic proportions. The design features panel lines inspired by crosswinds in nature which evoke visual lightness. Its bold five-point grille, accentuated front wheel arches and sleek roof line, combined with large 22-inch wheels, lend it high emotional appeal.

Sporty to look at, Kazamai is meant to be spirited and fun to drive, with compact dimensions. Kazamai’s four-wheel drive powertrain will consist of a next-generation direct injection engine and a newly developed transmission. It is also aerodynamic, with an evolved lightweight body structure and enhanced the vehicle safety attributes. Were it to be built, Mazda’s latest show car would deliver exciting driving dynamics, frugal fuel consumption and greatly reduced CO2 emissions.

The Mazda Kazamai promises to be another ground-breaking show car from Mazda Design, winner of this year’s Grand Prix du Design in Paris. Created especially for the Moscow International Automobile Salon, it gives a good indication of where Mazda is going with a possible future compact crossover. And in Russia’s growing automotive market, compact SUVs are the second-largest segment, representing about 13 percent of all new car sales.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mazda Kazamai Concept sketches:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooh, it's... aaahhhh.. it's... ohhh.. it's just the next 3/CX-7 in fantasy form. Damn. I hoping it would be something worthwhile...

I don't think the Beautifully lithe surfacing that makes the Furai such a beautiful car translates so well here. Perhaps it's just the patterning but in my eyes it's too geometric. and the front Beak effect wouldn't fly past EuroNCAP pedestrian safety.

Other than that, proportions are good, and the rear is decent. But probably my least favourite of the recent concepts.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by 90ft View Post
    Created especially for the Moscow International Automobile Salon, it gives a good indication of where Mazda is going with a possible future compact crossover. And in Russia’s growing automotive market, compact SUVs are the second-largest segment, representing about 13 percent of all new car sales.
    It is really a lot of compact SUV's here - so boring to look at them every day, but hey, on our roads... If they remain the general style it would become a best-seller here.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    After a while, these cars are all starting to look the same.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information