418mm focal length
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Niko_Fx
    C6 Z06 - HDR
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    05/15/09

Love your work!

niko is that a monaro/gto next to the corvette?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by nikowgcf View Post
    Love your work!
    How come?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

It is nice photo, but it needs some fixing to be a great one.

Love your work!
    Thanks

niko is that a monaro/gto next to the corvette?
    Yep, it probably had the entire exhaust done, cause it sounded amazing

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    How come?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Just like the colour, reflections and sky. Also like previous work submitted by my namesake.
    (We aren't related by the way.)

nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    It is nice photo, but it needs some fixing to be a great one.
    IMHO, its a rather ordinary shot "enhanced" by hdr. I don't like the contrast and I really don't like the hood up nature of the shot. I guess HDR made the shot somewhat more interesting but still not compelling. I think hdr can be a fun tool, you just can't depend on it to take a nominal shot and make it something terribly special. Just my 2 cents.

regards

ken
    Last edited by kvisser; 05-21-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Many photos that win are just still images of parked cars that with the right camera and post-processing come out looking pretty neat. When I asked to have HDRs banned from the photo comp (or any post processing for that matter) nobody said anything, now, every time I submit one, I hear complains.

If it is considered cheating because some people are impressed by an "enhanced yet ordinary" photo then ban HDRs already.

I don't get the chance of going to tracks and take action photos like a lot of people, so I gotta defend myself somehow. It really isn't all that hard to get a nice spot and start shooting on continuous mode either... with the right zoom, on the right ISO, shutter speed, etc. until you get a good shot out of 1000 then do some editing and done.

Unfortunately I have a wifey who hates motorsports and an HDR of a parked Z06 is all I can submit, either ban HDRs or stop hating on them because it's getting quite annoying. I don't understand why there's so much hate coming from everybody only because a member liked my photo.

Quote Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
    IMHO, its a rather ordinary shot "enhanced" by hdr. I don't like the contrast and I really don't like the hood up nature of the shot. I guess HDR made the shot somewhat more interesting but still not compelling. I think hdr can be a fun tool, you just can't depend on it to take a nominal shot and make it something terribly special. Just my 2 cents.

regards

ken
    Yeah it is nice, because it can be better. In another hand, some shots are just hopeless, not worth editing, enhancement, spending time on it. Thats what i meant.

IMO, HDR "tech" will lead in the near future.

HDR was introduced so that you could use a range of photographs to get the maximum exposure range for that image, so you can expose for the highlights properly as well as exposing for the shadows properly. And to me your shot would've been just fine without some serious overworking in the HDR department.

I'm not hating on HDR, I just don't think it was necessary in those circumstances to use it (maybe if it was used correctly not to just crazily "enhance" the photo), to me it looks more like a piece of digital artwork than a piece of photography. The overall composure of the shot is not that good, though the angle isn't bad.

Thing is I might think about voting for a shot like yours if it were normal and had proper colour, bump more contrast etc, but the HDR ruined it for me and I just couldn't figure out why someone could like it.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

IMO the HDR works well in niko's entry. Yes, the effect itself was introduced to correctly expose photographs that in raw format were under or over exposed but the nature of HDR itself is an effect to deliberately perform these days. I use it myself alot for effect and with niko's it is no different. His entry does work well. Because the emphasis on the contrast of the clouds and the reflection on the bodwork is what HDR brings out in a photo like this. It is afterall a combination of 3 or more levels of exposure that create the effect with tone mapping. It works well in the way that it creates the dark moody weather effect whilst bringing out the shine and colour of the car. It is deliberate and the shot in my opinion does gain from HDR.

Anyway Its been over a year since I entered and even longer since I used to lead the standings but to mark the celebration of my first car I thought I'd enter this week.

Cotterik
    My New Corsa SXI
    Warrington, UK
    Nikon D80 w/ 18mm Wide Angle + Reverse Polarizer
    14/05/09

• File Type: jpg 6.jpg (515.3 KB, 283 views)

Niko_Fx;885575 I don't understand why there's so much hate coming from everybody only because a member liked my photo.[/QUOTE]

Mate, I apologise to you, for causing so much drama. I'll keep my thoughts to myself in future. Still love your work.

Thanks Cotterik.

And to me your shot would've been just fine without some serious overworking in the HDR department.
    That remains your opinion though, not Nikowgcf's

Thing is I might think about voting for a shot like yours if it were normal and had proper colour, bump more contrast etc, but the HDR ruined it for me and I just couldn't figure out why someone could like it.
    You have to admit that there's been worse photos than mine in these comps... Why all the fuzz about my photo? He likes it, what's the big deal?

I'm interested to see what you can come up with, here you go:

Niko_Fx I don't understand why there's so much hate coming from everybody only because a member liked my photo.

Mate, I apologise to you, for causing so much drama. I'll keep my thoughts to myself in future. Still love your work.
    Please don't. I know your comment kicked up a bit of a shitstorm, but the purpose of these threads is to get better and get advice, even if you don't participate actively(me). I personally think that HDR panders to a certain taste, so some like it and some don't. I do not really like it, but it is legal and I'm in no way angered by Niko's use of it.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information