Thread: PH Sunday Service, Wilton House

PH Sunday Service, Wilton House

Hi All

Here are a few photos from the Piston Heads Sunday Service at Wilton House in the UK last Sunday. All proceeds went to Charity (Stars Appeal) to help fund the local hospital. It was a wonderful collection of supercars, including McLaren F1 GTR (roadgoing!), EBM Tazio, Veyron, Enzo and a few of the other usual suspects. A full complement of photos (176!) can be found here:

globalsupercars.co.uk - Sports, classic and supercars from around the World

I hope you like them!

Andy
    ---
    globalsupercars.co.uk - Sports, classic and supercars from around the World
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a few more...

...including one of four roadgoing McLaren F1 GTRs!

And a final set

Full set at

http://www.globalsupercars.co.uk/gal...009/index.html

Andy

what that thing, third pic, beside the orang diablo?

It's an EBM Tazio. More information can be found here in the forums:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...n-bugatti.html

However, it would appear that the fixed head was also badged as a Bugatti. Very rare indeed! I had a quick chat with the owner at Goodwood Breakfast Club, but not long enought o garner any more information...maybe next time!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    man, those are purdy cars.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Wow, great pics. That looks like it was some event...lucky you got to attend! Thanks for posting. That EBM Tazio is badass.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Simply excellent photos, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by globalsupercars View Post
    ...including one of four roadgoing McLaren F1 GTRs!
    One point of correction here, there are at least 9 McLaren F1 GTRs around the world that have been converted for road use and registered in various countries. The chassis numbers are #06R (UK), #07R (UK), #08R (Bahrain), #10R (UK), #11R (Sweden), #12R (UK), #13R (Germany), #15R (UK) and #16R (UK). I know that all the conversions have not been completed by the factory, so perhaps the number of four that gets passed around relates only to those cars.

The GTR in your photographs is #10R owned by Nick Mason, the drummer from Pink Floyd and a well known car enthusiast. It is the very first of the 1996 McLaren F1 GTRs - featuring updates all throughout the car intended to bring it closer to a true racer than the earlier 1995 models that were only loosely converted from the F1 road cars.

GTR #10R served as the development car for the rest of the 1996 GTRs and was often seen at the track on race weekends being used as a parts car for the other GTRs. Besides the many laps it did under testing, the car was used one time for the Pre-Qualifying at the 1996 24-Hours of LeMans. It was later replaced by the team that used it with GTR #11R for actual qualifying and the 24 Hour race.

Mason tells the story of how he arranged to purchase #10R in his book, "Into the Red". He realized he had a car in his collection - an older McLaren M15 - that he didn't really need, and it was one that was missing from the extensive McLaren collection of Ron Dennis. He said that he and Ron went back and forth for 2-3 years about it with Gordon Murray playing the intermediary. All along Ron was claiming he didn't really need the M15, and all the while Mason played as if he could live without the F1.

He says that eventually he broke, and that GTR 10R was the most appealing of the three that were lurking around Woking at the time. He goes on to say that he liked the fact that although it had no actual racing history, that the factory had complete, detailed documentation on all the testing, including all the aces who had turned laps behind the wheel. One in particular was J.J. Lehto who had won LeMans in a different GTR the year prior to this one being built, so he felt that there was a link to that great race in this car. He finally brought the car home in December 1999 after McLaren completed all the changes needed for passing the MOT.

Mason recently had #10R refitted with its "Presentation Livery" which it wore for the first few months of it's life in 1996. Prior to that work the car had been solid red the rest of its life. You can see a couple of photos of it pre-refit in the recent feature that UltimateCarPage did on their visit to the British National Motor Museum. The 'new' look is a bit controversial, but if you understand the history I think it's entirely appropriate for the car.

>8^)
    ER

unusual colour for CGT!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thanks for the update on the GTRs Peloton25! I hadn't realised that 5 more had gone through the process. Love the Dennis/Mason banter too!

And yes, it's not a common CGT colour (only one I've seen in fact), but it looks fantastic, especially on a sunny day! :-)

Thanks global, great selection of photos. I love the one of the rear of the AeroMax, but then I'm biased!

Great pictures. I really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    unusual colour for CGT!
    Correct. The only one in Europe. There's a twin in the USA, and that's it.

Hi all, I'm Jay, the guy who organised the whole event.

The display at Wilton House was pretty awesome (and thanks for all the comments) but what you didn't get to see was how all the cars got there...

I organised a meet at 6 am in Hyde Park, London, and we blatted cross-country to Wiltshire as one massive, roaring convoy.

When we got there, I'd arranged totally private use of an MSA approved hillclimb course, Gurston Down, and we spent the morning thrashing up that, before eventually swooping back down to Wilton House to make a coordinated entrance at midday.

I've also produced a video from the day - an extended trailer can be found on my website, but the full version can be had (even on 1080p Blu-Ray) with extras including behind the scenes footage, driver interviews, featurettes and even a professional slideshow. Proceeds from this are also going to the children's hospital charity.

All can be found at www.jaykaybi.com/wilton

I love the one of the rear of the AeroMax, but then I'm biased!
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 11-20-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    When you receive a warning, you may or may not be given infraction points. Infraction points and warnings have expiry dates that are set by a moderator/administrator.

Thread Information