Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi RS6 (C8) 2019-

Audi RS6 (C8) 2019-

Audi RS 6 Avant

The concept of the super-fast Avant is more tightly woven into the Audi DNA than virtually any other hallmark of Vorsprung durch Technik, and that concept has been refined yet again in the creation of the new, fourth generation RS 6 Avant. Bristling with the technological accomplishments already delivered by the new A6 Avant, the latest addition to the Audi Sport fold combines formidable twin-turbo eight-cylinder TFSI power with state-of-the-art efficiency features including mild hybrid drive and cylinder-on-demand technology, helping to deliver epic performance as responsibly as possible.

"Throughout our 25-year RS history, the Audi RS 6 Avant is one of our absolute icons with a large global fan base," says Oliver Hoffmann, Managing Director of Audi Sport GmbH. "We will also be offering the RS 6 Avant in North America for the very first time. As such, we will be tapping into a new market with huge potential and generating further growth."

With the exception of the front doors, roof and tailgate, the exterior of the RS 6 Avant comprises exclusively RS-specific parts, and to look at the car at rest on its sizeable 21-inch wheels shrouded by broad flared arches that expand its width by 40mm on each side, this is immediately evident.

The new RS 6 Avant is one of the first Audi Sport models to feature the new RS design language. In addition to a new bonnet with powerdome, it also adopts the front headlights from the A7 model line which are not only slimmer and more sporting in style but also offer the RS Matrix LED laser headlight with darkened trims as an additional USP of the RS 6 Avant in the A6 family. Similar to the LED rear lights, they feature a dynamic indicator along with RS-specific sequencing when the vehicle is locked and unlocked.

The three-dimensional honeycomb structure within the Singleframe grille is finished in gloss black, and its surround and the quattro logo in the bumper have been removed in this latest incarnation of the design. Below the standard LED headlights, side air inlets open on the strikingly drawn new RS bumper and extend almost into the lower edge of the headlights. The designers have taken their cue for this application from the front-end of the Audi R8 supercar.

The characteristic Avant silhouette dominates in the side view - elongated front section, long, straight roofline and flat D pillars, which rest on the quattro blisters. RS-specific sills with black inserts also add emphasis to the flanks. The dynamic rear-end consists of the roof edge spoiler and an RS-specific bumper with rear diffuser and design elements in gloss black. In hallmark RS style, the RS exhaust system flows on both sides into oval chrome-coloured tailpipes.

The 4.0 TFSI in the new Audi RS 6 Avant delivers 600PS and 800 Nm (590.0 lb-ft) of torque, which is maintained at this high level between 2,050 and 4,500 rpm. In just 3.6 seconds the high-performance Avant sprints from zero to 62mph, and where conditions permit the driver can see 124mph by the time 12 seconds have elapsed. Top speed is electronically governed at 155mph.

Thanks to the 48-volt main electrical system the twin-turbo V8 combines maximum performance with high efficiency. A belt alternator starter lies at the heart of the mild hybrid system (MHEV). Up to 12 kW of power can be recovered during light deceleration and stored in a separate lithium-ion battery. If the driver lifts off the accelerator at a speed of between 34 and 99mph, the drive management selects one of two options: Depending on the driving situation and setting in the standard Audi drive select dynamic driving system the new RS 6 Avant recovers energy or coasts for up to 40 seconds with the engine switched off. Re-applying pressure on the accelerator instructs the belt alternator starter to restart the engine. MHEV technology allows for start/stop operation at speeds of up to 13mph. Fuel savings of up to 0.8 litres per 100 kilometres are possible in everyday driving.

More info here on UCP

Also in the Hide-out:
    Audi RS6 (C5) 2002-2004
    Audi RS6 (C5) Plus 2004
    Audi RS6 (C6) 2008-2010
    Audi RS6 (C7-4G) 2013-2018
    Audi RS6 (C8) 2019-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 09-03-2019 at 02:21 PM.

mit "Dynamikpaket plus" it will reach 305 km/h (189 mph)
    Attached Images Attached Images

If anyone missed this Audi wagon commercial...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gw8B939Eo"]Audi Presents: An Avant Story - YouTube[/ame]

I kind of wished Audi had just badged this the Lamborghini Hurrican wagon. Too many sharp corners, but at least we get another performance wagon, especially when Subaru ditched performance wagons in general.

I never thought Subaru was ever a staple of the high performance estate car market.

I have always been under the impression this is a European thing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

But, but... you could get a Country Squire with a 428 and a Toploader!

Allegedly.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

That would have been fast... until you got to the first corner.

I wonder what was the first proper example of something that I just decided to call the sports estate. Surely the Audi RS2 springs to mind, but is there any earlier example?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I never thought Subaru was ever a staple of the high performance estate car market.

I have always been under the impression this is a European thing.
    Subaru made the WRX STi in wagon form once, and they made the WRX for multiple years.

Come on, throw us plebes a bone here!

I wonder what was the first proper example of something that I just decided to call the sports estate. Surely the Audi RS2 springs to mind, but is there any earlier example?
    There were a couple deadend attempts that focused more on straight-line speed like the big-block longroofs mentioned above and the turbo bricks from Volvo, but I think the RS2 set the blueprint for the genre and all subsequent sports wagons owe their design to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Subaru made the WRX STi in wagon form once, and they made the WRX for multiple years.

Come on, throw us plebes a bone here!
    I didn't know Subaru made STI estates (at least not the Impreza), the WRXs were fairly common though. Which generation was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    There were a couple deadend attempts that focused more on straight-line speed like the big-block longroofs mentioned above and the turbo bricks from Volvo, but I think the RS2 set the blueprint for the genre and all subsequent sports wagons owe their design to it.
    Actually, apparently, the BMW M5 Touring predates the RS2, but I had completely forgot about the turbo Volvos.
    Visca Catalunya!

I didn't know Subaru made STI estates (at least not the Impreza), the WRXs were fairly common though. Which generation was it?
    The 3rd gen WRX had both wagon and sedan STI variants.

Subaru also made a Forester STI and a Legacy Spec B which I think was available in Japan as a wagon.

Some might argue the Forester is too tall to be a wagon, but relatively speaking, it's pretty short as crossovers go.

Subaru Impreza (3rd gen) 2007-2011 - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

Subaru Forester - Page 3 - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

That 3rd gen Impreza was more a hatch than an estate, wasn't it?
    Visca Catalunya!

That 3rd gen Impreza was more a hatch than an estate, wasn't it?
    Kind of..?

I know what it is! It's a liftback!

The definition is kind of blurry. Any wagon to me has a D pillar. Estate vs hatch is kind of a weird thing. Estates and hatchbacks both have D pillars.

I feel like the first gen Integra sedan is a hatchback. The Civic Type R is a hatchback.

The 3rd gen Impreza (when not in sedan form) to me is a wagon.

While on the same topic, would you consider the Jazz/Fit to be a wagon too?

The RS2 had a pretty-short rear as well though, no?

Let's see: we have (seats up/down?) 13-45 cu.ft (365-1,280 L) in the Subie and 13-23 cu.ft (370-650 L) in the Audi. The Audi is about 3" longer in both total length and wheelbase. So, that in mind, I'd say they're substantially similar, though the Audi has about 50% more power.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The RS2 had a pretty-short rear as well though, no?

Let's see: we have (seats up/down?) 13-45 cu.ft (365-1,280 L) in the Subie and 13-23 cu.ft (370-650 L) in the Audi. The Audi is about 3" longer in both total length and wheelbase. So, that in mind, I'd say they're substantially similar, though the Audi has about 50% more power.
    In terms of power, they're about equal, the Subaru is about 310 hp and 291 lb ft.

Audi RS2 is 311 hp and 302 lb ft.

Subaru Impreza STI-
    Wheelbase: 2,620 mm
    Length: 4,415 mm
    Weight: 1395 kg

Audi RS2-
    Wheelbase : 2,611 mm
    Length: 4,580 mm
    Weight: 1595 kg

Mind you this is Wikipedia we're talking about. The Audi is about 100mm longer, but a good 200kg heavier. All things being equal, I think the STI might perform a good bit better.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 09-08-2019 at 02:33 PM.

I still think that the 3rd gen Impreza 5 door is a hatchback, not an estate. 1st and 2nd gen 5 door Imprezas were estate cars though.

In terms of performance, well 15 years of progress should show somewhere, shouldn't it?
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information