Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo 4C 2013-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alfa is saying $60,000 for the U.S. market. This seems high for a car whose performance likely won't exceed an up-engined Alfiata by that much.

all that said; Do Want.

EDIT: Even as a Lotus competitor, which is not what Alfa should be making, this doesn't quite add up. The car will still be $10,000-15,000 more expensive than an Elise which will likely be lighter.

All of this could be forgiven if the car was a looker, but it isn't.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 02-12-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Alfa is saying $60,000 for the U.S. market. This seems high for a car whose performance likely won't exceed an up-engined Alfiata by that much.

all that said; Do Want.

EDIT: Even as a Lotus competitor, which is not what Alfa should be making, this doesn't quite add up. The car will still be $10,000-15,000 more expensive than an Elise which will likely be lighter.

All of this could be forgiven if the car was a looker, but it isn't.
    So it's a KTM Coupé thing with an automatic and a preposterous price tag.

I'm sorry but no.

I'll wait for the Spider.

Thank you very much.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It is about time that they come up with new affordable models.

They only have the MiTo and Guilietta, and now the 4C. The new Giulia is not promised before 2014 and the 159 has been phased out years ago.

I really hope the future of the brand is more promising.

I do still love my 147 BTW.

Wow, from the rear it definitely looks a lot like a Lotus Elise.

Anything affordable from Alfa Romeo is a plus, the last car they sold new in the US was the 8C. Yeah, like that was attainable.

Though I am more optimistic than Ferrer, I have a few questions for that shifty Canaditalian:

Why midengined?
    Why carbon-fiber?
    Why drop a sackful of lire on the aforementioned things only to neglect the styling? It looks unfinished in my eyes.
    Why go for the microengine/macroturbo combination on a car that is too expensive for fuel economy to be that much of a concern? Drop in the V6.
    Also, why release it around the time of the new Spider?

You can do better, Serg.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I do still love my 147 BTW.
    I don't think that was ever in doubt.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The "everyman" Alfa based on the next Miata is still coming, this can serve as a nice halo....seems people are seeing prototype of this running around Michigan already, I hope I can catch a glimpse of it at some point considering Chrysler is like 2 mins away from me...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Hellcat, you can't judge based on those, they just look off. Check out some pics of it not in that stupid matte red paint they released it in.

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gall...-gallery_7.jpg

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gall...-gallery_5.jpg

Outside of that, why shouldn't Alfa make a Lotus competitor? Alfa's have never been heavy, maybe not as light as Lotus, but they have been making pure driving cars for a lot longer than Lotus has been around. Also, a dual clutch semi is far from an automatic. There's a reason why you can't get an Enzo or a 458 with a gated shifter; semi autos are better transmissions for driving fast. (This coming from a guy who loves manuals and old cars.) The four cylinder 1750cc turbocharged is quite a bit lighter than a V6 for similar power output and Alfa has a long history with four cylinders of that particular engine displacement. Also, the Exige is still just a hair over a ton and this Alfa is supposed to come in under 1950 lbs. So, that carbon fiber thing is definitely working out for them.
    Last edited by xander18; 02-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xander18 View Post
    Hellcat, you can't judge based on those, they just look off. Check out some pics of it not in that stupid matte red paint they released it in.
    You are referring to pictures of the concept. Which might be slightly better looking. Even though these look a bit wrong too me too.

Outside of that, why shouldn't Alfa make a Lotus competitor? Alfa's have never been heavy, maybe not as light as Lotus, but they have been making pure driving cars for a lot longer than Lotus has been around. Also, a dual clutch semi is far from an automatic. There's a reason why you can't get an Enzo or a 458 with a gated shifter; semi autos are better transmissions for driving fast. (This coming from a guy who loves manuals and old cars.) The four cylinder 1750cc turbocharged is quite a bit lighter than a V6 for similar power output and Alfa has a long history with four cylinders of that particular engine displacement. Also, the Exige is still just a hair over a ton and this Alfa is supposed to come in under 1950 lbs. So, that carbon fiber thing is definitely working out for them.
    Yes the have the heritage to make small sportscars. But using carbon fiber makes it more expensive. And what Alfa needs right now is sales and sales in big numbers. This isn't going to be there Alfas "Panda" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Yes the have the heritage to make small sportscars. But using carbon fiber makes it more expensive. And what Alfa needs right now is sales and sales in big numbers. This isn't going to be there Alfas "Panda" so to speak.
    Neither has been the MiTo which looks a bit like Frogeye Sprite hardtop on steroids... And then we have Chryslancia. I hope they win a lot of money, Fiat, because in terms of product for their Italian branch desirability is going down the drain...

Also, despite the different price tags the 4C and Spider are pretty much aimed at the same customer and they will end up cannibalising themselves probably (unless the limited production 4C ends shortly before the Spider is launched).
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post

At the time of writing my other comment I had not heard that they were only planning on making 2000. To me, that ruins what they're trying to do with the car. They already sold a limited run, poster fodder 'dream car' (the 8C) in the US, now they need the cars that people will actually buy. They could probably have sold 2000 4Cs in New Jersey alone based on the number of people who would see a shiny red Italian sports car, think Ferrari and buy it for the sub $100k price tag and prestige. (Then I could buy a used one for $30k like my friend's Elise and race it .) I was optimistic that the dual clutch box was because of superior driving characteristics, not making it accessible to non-enthusiasts. Now I'm not so sure. I still have faith that the only reason to work to make a sub 2000 lbs car instead of just going in the more reasonable 2600-3000lbs range with a more powerful V6 is for mass production.

That being said, there's only ONE source that anyone is citing for that 2000 car production run and that's the leaked info from the European dealer conference. Maybe that was just 2000 for Europe, or for Switzerland (where the dealer who leaked the info was from). The first place I saw that info was Car and Driver (link below) and they said 'It's believed that...'

It just seems like everything about this car is designed for larger production.

Details of 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Emerge from European Dealer Meeting – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Also, a dual clutch semi is far from an automatic. There's a reason why you can't get an Enzo or a 458 with a gated shifter; semi autos are better transmissions for driving fast. (This coming from a guy who loves manuals and old cars.)
    If you are really serious about driving (which can, in some cases, be different from going fast) a proper clutch-pedal manual is still the way to go. In terms of actual real life road use dual clutch automatics are as involving as modern torque converter automatics.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If you are really serious about driving (which can, in some cases, be different from going fast) a proper clutch-pedal manual is still the way to go.
    Opinion /= fact
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Opinion /= fact
    So says the DSG heretic.

Also, Ferrer = fact.

I would actually like to drive stick and get a hold of it again so to speak. If I did, then I think I would appreciate it more. As it stands, autos and DSGs aren't too bothersome for me, and I ain't even driven a DSG yet.

This car may not make sense, but it is good that it is being made. I have wanted more botiqueish non-Zonda priced cars around. Think Lotus. I consider this a car in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Also, Ferrer = fact.
    Meh, Ferrer = Automotive Hipster...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information