Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My own personal Uber-Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    What's the significance of the "Memphis" decals? Is it some kind of special edition?

I guess so. I know there are Golf III Memphis too...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    well, if you are aware of that, it's already something.

we have 20 points, and if lost all of them you have to repeat an exam, similar to the one you took for the theoretic part.
    new drivers will lost twice the points for the same infraction compared to other drivers. I'm not sure if this is true also for new drivers, but I (6 years of license) can't lose more than 15 points in a single time (obviously more than one infraction at the same time), but there are infractions that even not consuming a lot of points, can suspend your license, like 40 km/h over the limit, driving in the opposite lane, overtaking during a turn, all cost 10 points but suspend the license from 1 to 3 months, and maybe even to 6 months for new drivers.
    that said, since you lost 2 points for 12 km/h over the limit, I must say the sanctions seem to be similar, but we have almost twice the points available. Up to know I got just ticket for parking out of the lines, so not only the license is intact, but I also gain 2 points (up to 30) every 2 years without an infraction involving a detraction of points, so my license looks good, but I have the feeling that with less points available, as at your place, probably a lot of people would pay more attention to how they drive.
    Same here. We have got three points for young drivers (first 3 years, so im almost out of it now ). The points are given to serious infractions only, drinking and driving, 30+ over the limit, causing dangerous situations(art. 5), red lights and so on.

I've lost two (in about 300.000km of driving) which is pretty bad. One was when i just had my license, I stalled my car at the traffic light at 4am saturdaynight. So I started again and just when i pulled away, the light turned red. And yes, the police car stood behind me at the lights... damnit.

Second was another not too smart action when I drove 31km to fast and they lasered/stopped me. I was driving too fast, because I had the task to get beer 10 minutes before the Netherlands-Russia match this summer. My own dumb fault and definately not to be repeated !..!

for a free car, you can't really go wrong until it starts to cost you money
    useful in the city i bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think that's actually normal in Europe.

Here you cannot go over 80km/h for the first year.
    same, it's graduated - 1st year 80 or 90, second year 100, third year 110 then opens license
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Yeah, I agree that newer drivers are statistically not that great at driving. (Some exceptions apply of course ) But why make them stick a big red sticker in their back window announcing to the country that your a new driver. In Canada we just have a new driver stciker on our license, not on the back of our car.
    because new drivers are noobs and have nowhere near the experience and skills that other drivers take for granted.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

And it's fun to run them off the road......

I keed, I keed.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

When I was in Perth attaining mine it was 2 years at not over 90km/h. Not that that stopped P-platers keeping up with the traffic flow on the freeway (100).. the cops' stationary, unmanned speed cameras can't detect the plates anyway so if they choose not to have actual cars driving about keeping an eye on things, they're not going to catch anyone in that situation. Also, I think they didn't mind so long as you weren't driving like a twat. Which should be an offence anyway.

Congrats, Piacki. Nice car you got there. Be careful with your points and enjoy your ride.
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant View Post
    Be careful with your points and enjoy your ride.
    I love that car even if it's slow because it reminds me of my childhood, when my grandmother used to take me to the French riviera every summer. Now I drive her to the city when she needs something...
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 02-02-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    I love that car even if it's slow because it reminds me of my childhood, when my grandmother used to take me to the French riviera every summer. Now I drive her to the city when she needs something...
    i understand how you feel... my rx-7 was my grandmother's so i have been riding in it since before i can remember. not only is it a cool car, but it has that personal touch too...

i havent commented in this thread yet, but excellent car. i really like it. even if its slow, theres nothing like an old car to make you re-learn how to drive.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i havent commented in this thread yet, but excellent car. i really like it. even if its slow, theres nothing like an old car to make you re-learn how to drive.
    Exactly my opinion too. It's just that it bugs me a little when I have to bring it in the garage every night... Or else the engine won't start.

Exactly my opinion too. It's just that it bugs me a little when I have to bring it in the garage every night... Or else the engine won't start.
    does it have power steering? or are you working on building up your forearms? the rex has no power steering, abs, or anything that might help you drive. very pure driving experience. i imagine the golf is much the same way.

does it have power steering? or are you working on building up your forearms? the rex has no power steering, abs, or anything that might help you drive. very pure driving experience. i imagine the golf is much the same way.

Are you kidding? It was the cheapest version back in 1988. Parking the car is a punishment.

I recently drove a Mk II Polo GT with power nothing. I loved how mechanical it felt and how much you were part of the process.
    Are you kidding? It was the cheapest version back in 1988. Parking the car is a punishment.
    Even the GTIs didn't have power steering as standard...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I recently drove a Mk II Polo GT with power nothing. I loved how mechanical it felt and how much you were part of the process.
    driving the rex is really a different experience to almost any other car i have ever been in. while the mini was a very engaging drive, it still had that appliance feel. get in, turn it on, and go. point it where you want to go, and it gets there. the rex on the other hand starts with fury as the choke screams. it has to warm up for a few minutes. then once you get going, the steering is firm to say the least, and is a bit loose immediately off center. and ive mentioned that the synchros in 1st and 2nd are pretty well gone. but once it gets going, and your heel toeing through the sticky gears, it drives amazingly. its still faster than most cars out there, and when you manage your revs, will get up and go almost as fast as my car with 3 times the power. your assessment as mechanical is a great descriptor. you can hear everything working, but more importantly you can feel everything working. its one car, where i know that i havent yet figured out how to drive it properly fast.

I can completely relate to this.

Furthermore being low powered you learn to drive fast properly, because if you're caught in the wrong gear or out of the power band you aren't really going anywhere. However the Polo weighted about as half as the Mini, so you had no inertia whatsoever.

I love old cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Congratulations on the car, it appears to be in great condition!

A friend of mine used to have one of those back in the day, same year and all - many fine memories - but also a few engine problems. :P
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information