Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Discussions Thread

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but has anyone seen the race format of the GT1 World Championship and the GT2 Euro Championship?

It's a two race format with 1 hour for each race. Seems a little demeaning to endurance GT racing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed but has anyone seen the race format of the GT1 World Championship and the GT2 Euro Championship?

It's a two race format with 1 hour for each race. Seems a little demeaning to endurance GT racing if you ask me.
    Me and the mate working at Maserati were wondering about that yesterday evening, as this year 2010 GT1 cars were about as fast as 2009 GT2 (which afaik won't change much for next year).
    At the end of the races the Gt2 cars were often ahead of 2010 GT1 cars, mostly because of technical problems and safe driving to carry the cars home for the sake of testing. Separating them makes sense from this point of view,
    also there will be more cars in both categories.

The time frame may seems weird, but apart from punctures for debris there wasn't much happening after the first hour.
    Technical problems can still occur in the second race.
    Don't know if I'd have preferred a single two hours race as this year, as a live spectator after the first pit stops you won't understand anything anymore, and more races equals more time to see what's going on in the paddock.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post

Indeed. Bring back the WSC, and 1000km, 6h, 12h and 24h races.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Indeed. Bring back the WSC, and 1000km, 6h, 12h and 24h races.
    Speaking of kilometers... I plan to take a 6,000kms roadtrip across Spain with a friend and my good old Golf. The thing is I've heard things about spanish roads being dangerous (especially in the south, which is quite inconvenient since we intend to go down to Gibraltar). What do you think about that? Oh and we wanted to sleep in the car but since I heard that I've thought it might not be a smart idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Speaking of kilometers... I plan to take a 6,000kms roadtrip across Spain with a friend and my good old Golf. The thing is I've heard things about spanish roads being dangerous (especially in the south, which is quite inconvenient since we intend to go down to Gibraltar). What do you think about that? Oh and we wanted to sleep in the car but since I heard that I've thought it might not be a smart idea.
    I wouldn't sleep in the car, especially if you planed to do it on motorway service stations or car parks. You can always hire a room in a cheapt hotel or a youth hostel for not much money.

As for roads being dangerous I cannot speak for the south, but here in the north east roads are ok, not the best in the world but not bad either. In Catalunya motorways are toll roads, but I believe that's not the case in most of the rest of Spain. In anycase I'd stick to them, unless you want to visit some specific places.
    Visca Catalunya!

In Catalunya motorways are toll roads, but I believe that's not the case in most of the rest of Spain. In anycase I'd stick to them, unless you want to visit some specific places.
    Driving in that part of the world just lost huge appeal for me.

My nemesis are toll roads and paid parking.

There's only one toll road in Ontario - the 407 - and consequently, it's empty. It was built to relieve volume from the main highway - hell's highway - the 401. So everyone that mighta used the 407 doesn't as it costs a dumb amount so the 401 remains absurdly clogged at rush hour. Luckily, I never drive it during rush hour, only during off hours so it's a bomb highway to me.

Contrast hell's highway with god's highway the 427 which runs north-south through the western part of the city. That highway is pretty much always flowing well unless there's construction and that's pretty rare, well, except for this summer where it was rampant.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with anything but I guess it is the random discussions thread.

whats wrong with toll roads? just drive onto them, tag goes beep when you pass under the overhang, you don't drop speed or anything
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    whats wrong with toll roads? just drive onto them, tag goes beep when you pass under the overhang, you don't drop speed or anything
    What's wrong with them is you gotta pay, plain and simple.

And in the ones in the US I've been to you actually have to stop to pay the toll at a both. A literal toll booth.

Terrible.

I drove down to the States once with no Yankee money and hit a toll - luckily they took Canadian (or "fake" money as American would call it) or else I guess I was headed back the other way.

there are quite a few toll roads from Alicante to Gibraltar. but i wouldn't bother with Gibraltar (again), not that fun.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What's wrong with them is you gotta pay, plain and simple.

And in the ones in the US I've been to you actually have to stop to pay the toll at a both. A literal toll booth.

Terrible.

I drove down to the States once with no Yankee money and hit a toll - luckily they took Canadian (or "fake" money as American would call it) or else I guess I was headed back the other way.
    toll roads pay for tunnels, i am okay with this
    toll booths are so last century.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

In Catalunya motorways are toll roads, but I believe that's not the case in most of the rest of Spain. In anycase I'd stick to them, unless you want to visit some specific places.
    Why? Because the point was actually to use the little roads and not to spend a penny. But I heard stories of agressions and all, that scared me a little.
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 12-13-2009 at 01:02 AM.

I don't like toll roads, they're uncivilised. I'd preferto pay slightly more tax than tolls.. Also, motorbikes should be toll free. We pretty much don't take up road space, charging us the same as a car is ridiculous.

Thats the same argument Cyclists make.

And we Don't like Cyclists, Either.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Toll roads are great for one thing only here. No speed cameras at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Why? Because the point was actually to use the little roads and not to spend a penny. But I heard stories of agressions and all, that scared me a little.
    I don't think it's any worse than any other country in Europe. Again though, I'd advise against sleeping in the car.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Thats the same argument Cyclists make.

And we Don't like Cyclists, Either.
    Cyclists pay tolls too?

Thread Information