Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin Rapide 2010-

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I have to add this, the rear seats are actually comfortable compared to what many reviews tried to show. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of luxury sedans which are more comfortable, but being 1,80 m tall (so 6 for you Americans and Canadians) I had no problem entering trough the small rear door, and climbing up wasn't more difficult than exiting a previous gen 5 doors VW Polo, mainly due to the size of my shoes (44, EU size).
    That said I'm 25, while I can definitely see my father getting trapped in those rear seats once he entered the car, but I'm not as agile as you would expect , lazy dude...

If anything the rear of the Rapide is a better place then the Phatom's, which looks more like an empty box, something a bit too much close to a coffin, especially when the battery of the car dies during the show and you are trapped inside of it with an Indian man who was not in his better years anymore.
    The Panamera is equally comfortable. But it's also relatively tall and large. A bit too large. I sat in it at the NY Auto Show.

I also sat in the panamera at the car show in Van last weekend. To be honest, I think the car looks very awkward. The AM Rapide was at the show too, and I caught myself having to take a second look at the car, because at a quick glimpse I mistook it for a DB9. It was only after I looked back that I noticed it was longer and had four doors. I think when it comes to these cars, thats the way it should be. It was built purposeful but styled in such a way as to almost disguise the fact that its a people carrier. With the Panamera, they just came straight out and made it blatantly obvious that it was an original design (an ugly one). With all the different models of Cayenne in their lineup, I personally saw no use for a car like the Panamera. Aston Martin did a far better job with their super sedan. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I also sat in the panamera at the car show in Van last weekend. To be honest, I think the car looks very awkward. The AM Rapide was at the show too, and I caught myself having to take a second look at the car, because at a quick glimpse I mistook it for a DB9. It was only after I looked back that I noticed it was longer and had four doors. I think when it comes to these cars, thats the way it should be. It was built purposeful but styled in such a way as to almost disguise the fact that its a people carrier. With the Panamera, they just came straight out and made it blatantly obvious that it was an original design (an ugly one). With all the different models of Cayenne in their lineup, I personally saw no use for a car like the Panamera. Aston Martin did a far better job with their super sedan. My 2 cents.
    You're leaving out the most important part - how they drive. What I've read is the Panamera is better basically.

Also, Aston Martin didn't even bother to bring a Rapide to the Canadian International Autoshow in Toronto. Toronto, as we all know, is more important city in Canada (along with best).

In fact due to it's multiculturality (look it up) it's the most important city in the world, and all car manufacturers should display here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You're leaving out the most important part - how they drive. What I've read is the Panamera is better basically.

Also, Aston Martin didn't even bother to bring a Rapide to the Canadian International Autoshow in Toronto. Toronto, as we all know, is more important city in Canada (along with best).

In fact due to it's multiculturality (look it up) it's the most important city in the world, and all car manufacturers should display here.
    lol classic. And yes I'm sure the Porsche is the better driver's car. That's typically a given any time they bring out something new. It still doesn't change the fact that it looks kinda crap. If I'm buying a 4 door, I don't really care for track use anyway, so as long as it looks sharp I'm in. I'm surprised you guys never got one at the show down there. All b.s. aside, toronto is kind of a big deal .

I don't think that just because a car has more than three doors we shouldn't care how it drives.

Also, the Panamera isn't very tall. And if it means the end of Cayenne, at least it'll have done something well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm not saying don't care about how it drives. I'm saying I wouldn't buy the thing with plans of doing anything extravagant like I would with say a 911 or Cayman. That would include track events and possibly some modifications. Personally, I can't help but see it as kind of a waste to take a big heavy 4 door vehicle and turn it into some sort of racer. Thats why I've never been too excited about the Cayenne either, because its pretty much the epitome of waste. You take something that's supposed to bushwack, and you make it corner by which you kind of take away the bushwacking capabilities. Whatever, if these things help sales then great. At least we'll be seeing many more exciting sports cars in the future, the stuff we actually care about. Lets face it, not many people on a forum full of car nuts would actually think about buying these types of vehicles. They're marketed to a different crowd. All we're arguing about here is whether or not we can appreciate them, which yes I do think its wonderful that they've turned what should be an enormous slug into a grasshopper, but shame that they kept the looks of the slug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think that just because a car has more than three doors we shouldn't care how it drives.

Also, the Panamera isn't very tall. And if it means the end of Cayenne, at least it'll have done something well.
    To me the Panamera is tall. My family has a Subaru Forester, an old first generation one. That's like a tall wagon. The Panamera is at least as long and almost comes up to the middle of the greenhouse. That's pretty massive. I guess I'm used to smaller cars?

And good luck trying to wish away the Cayenne.

I'm not saying don't care about how it drives. I'm saying I wouldn't buy the thing with plans of doing anything extravagant like I would with say a 911 or Cayman. That would include track events and possibly some modifications. Personally, I can't help but see it as kind of a waste to take a big heavy 4 door vehicle and turn it into some sort of racer. Thats why I've never been too excited about the Cayenne either, because its pretty much the epitome of waste. You take something that's supposed to bushwack, and you make it corner by which you kind of take away the bushwacking capabilities. Whatever, if these things help sales then great. At least we'll be seeing many more exciting sports cars in the future, the stuff we actually care about. Lets face it, not many people on a forum full of car nuts would actually think about buying these types of vehicles. They're marketed to a different crowd. All we're arguing about here is whether or not we can appreciate them, which yes I do think its wonderful that they've turned what should be an enormous slug into a grasshopper, but shame that they kept the looks of the slug.
    I can kind of see the point, especially with the Cayenne or any SUV for that matter, but still four or five door cars can be very enjoyable.

I'm personally not into modifying cars and trackdays here are few and far in between. So in many cases having a dedicated track car or ultra radical sportscar is a moot point. Then there's the case where you can only afford one car and you still need to maintain a bit of practicality.

This doesn't mean you don't like or can't drive. Here there are plenty of excellent roads in which you can enjoy the capabilities of your car. And a hot hatchback or a sports saloon make a lot of sense, as much as a sportscar. Also, being an open road you need a higher margin of security and you're not going to be pushing to the absolute limit which could mean that you are not using the sportscar to its full extent.

Cars like this, the Panamera, the Jag XF or many others, may not be the ultimate in driving dynamics but they can still be plenty of fun and they do represent a good compromise, should you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    To me the Panamera is tall. My family has a Subaru Forester, an old first generation one. That's like a tall wagon. The Panamera is at least as long and almost comes up to the middle of the greenhouse. That's pretty massive. I guess I'm used to smaller cars?
    The Panamera is 1418mm tall. For a contemporary saloon that's a low car.
    Visca Catalunya!

I can't remember which, but in two reviews (one possibly from Autocar) the Rapide was considered slower but much more enjoyable then the Panamera.

Even assuming the Panamera is faster and even a better car to drive, the Rapide would surely be a lesser car in a very relative way, so I'd still live with this stigma.
    Dark blue for me, thanks.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm surprised you guys never got one at the show down there. All b.s. aside, toronto is kind of a big deal .
    I was just thinking, I am not sure the Rapide was released at that point but I don't know if that matters - there wasn't even an Aston exhibit. Nor Porsche. Nor Rolls Royce. Nor Bentley. No LFA - sure, an outside shot but damn.

The show was still fun, but the car selection was disappointing. The SkyDome (or Rogers Centre for the unfaithful) was not even used this year - it is usually used alongside the Metro Toronto Convention Centre North and South.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I can't remember which, but in two reviews (one possibly from Autocar) the Rapide was considered slower but much more enjoyable then the Panamera.

Even assuming the Panamera is faster and even a better car to drive, the Rapide would surely be a lesser car in a very relative way, so I'd still live with this stigma.
    Dark blue for me, thanks.
    The only good thing about the Panamera is, that it is the only big saloon available with a manual gearbox.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I was just thinking, I am not sure the Rapide was released at that point but I don't know if that matters - there wasn't even an Aston exhibit. Nor Porsche. Nor Rolls Royce. Nor Bentley. No LFA - sure, an outside shot but damn.

The show was still fun, but the car selection was disappointing. The SkyDome (or Rogers Centre for the unfaithful) was not even used this year - it is usually used alongside the Metro Toronto Convention Centre North and South.
    We had a few bentleys at ours. There was no LFA, and nissan wasn't present at all, while the "supercar exhibit" grows each year by multiple additions. I really enjoy these shows because everyone is really friendly and most cars are open for anyone wishing to get acquainted with them. Its not like walking into an expensive car dealership where it almost seems like the salesman are sizing you up to see if you're even worth their time. Its a much nicer environment, and for me nearly a paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The only good thing about the Panamera is, that it is the only big saloon available with a manual gearbox.
    Wait, you guys are all about the manual and that's the only one you get? Even we get others, like the CTS-V and... well come to think of it I don't know of any others.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Wait, you guys are all about the manual and that's the only one you get? Even we get others, like the CTS-V and... well come to think of it I don't know of any others.
    I don't think the Jaguar XJ or the XF even comes with a manual anymore. That leaves Audi and BMW that make cars with manuals. The Maserati Quattroporte comes with a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I don't think the Jaguar XJ or the XF even comes with a manual anymore. That leaves Audi and BMW that make cars with manuals. The Maserati Quattroporte comes with a manual.
    Jags haven't come with proper gearboxes for a long time now. I still want one butt..
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information