Thread: Ferrari FXX millechili concept

Ferrari FXX millechili concept

Ferrari FXX millechili concept (taken from 'winding road')

WINDING ROAD was on hand at the beginning of Ferrari’s 60th Anniversary weekend celebration, where we saw such dignitaries as Fiat boss Luca Cordero di Montezemolo and Ferrari CEO Jean Todt. While the company focused on a show of their technical know-how and the debut of the 60th anniversary edition of the 612 Scaglietti (details on that coming soon), we were excited to see the “little Enzo” sitting front and center.

The car has an official name (FXX Millechili) or doesn’t (depending on who you talk to) and was not a drivable concept. It’s made of largely cardboard and plastic (note the paper wheels), but we fell hard for it, anyway. The design concept seems to take away the worst of the Enzo (its long front and rear overhangs) while retaining the stuff we really like (it can hold a V-8 or V-12 in its current specification).

Ferrari insiders have called this the “1000 kilo” car, while the Ferrari media site refers to it in the more Italian translation of “FXX Millechili.” However you call it, 1000 kg translates into a very desirable 2207 lb. Power could be rated as high as 660 horsepower from the Enzo’s V-12. The company’s new goal of achieving efficiency in performance is at the core of this concept’s mission. Making everything lighter and stronger has always been a top priority in racing and it appears that Ferrari is getting serious about applying that to its production cars in ways we’ve never seen before.

This car is much smaller. Its wheelbase is 93.7 inches versus the Enzo’s 104.3 inches. The distance from the top of the windshield to the tip of the nose is much shorter, too (43.3 inches versus the bigger car’s 49.1 inches) giving it a much shorter front overhang. Out back, the rear overhang has been lopped off. Like we said, it’s better in almost every way.

More details on the car will be unveiled over the weekend.

Editor’s note: Don’t expect to see this 1000kg concept showing up as a production car. Ferrari insiders specifically noted that the surface graphics of this car — which mimic the Enzo in nearly every way — are not written into the final plan, if there is one at all. However, the proportions are important. The short overhangs are delicious and give us hope that a 2200-lb, 660 hp Ferrari could be coming our way in the future. We like Ferrari’s “efficiency” strategy here; they don’t define the word by throwing a diesel or a hybrid at the car. They’re doing it the right way, by making the car lighter, smaller, and more focused.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the downforce be with you

a few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the downforce be with you

I think they're moving in the right direction and I hope more manufacturers move that way as well.

Still, having 660hp on 1000kg car would be somewhat counterproductive since the objective to reduce weight means that you'll need less power, therefore less consumption not to mention it'd be complicated to put that power down.

From what I've read they're also thinking on using turbochargers(makes sense considering F1 will use them also) so there's alot to come from Ferrari in the next decade!
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

The efficiency strategy is the best thing to do.

I'm tired of reading about new supercars with more hp and more weight. Even the akmighty Elise, has gained 20% in weight since it's initial release.

This focus on weight doesn't mean that the engines shouldn't be developed. The "downsizing via turbocharging" reports should shed some weight, compared to the V12, but what I would like to see is technology developments such as direct injection or hydraulic valves compared to increase further the efficiency of the car.

For me, the car must keep the V12. A V8 (as reported by many sites) to my eyes will be a step back, reminding me the F40. This doesn't mean that I don't like the F40, but they have already produced a turbo 3,000 cc V8 weighing 1100 kg (I don't think that the 1,000 kg target will be met).
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Here's evo's article on the subject...

Having a new, drastically different approach to designing your cars might be interesting, but why present it in the most uninteresting form imaginable?

If you are building a "concept" car, the styling doesn't actually cost you anything, and you aren't limited by practical constraints; you can produce something outlandish, attractive and attention-grabbing for the same cost as something uninspired, ungainly and unsophisticated.

It is not as if the Enzo is highly regarded as a good piece of design in the first place, and you would at least expect some sort of "evolution" of the design - as with the FXX - but to leave no detail unchanged apart from reducing the size slightly? Amateurish at best, in an age when something can be knocked up on computer and machined into 3D with such ease, and in a very short space of time.

I would guess that the casual observer probably wouldn't even realise this was supposed to be a "new" design.

Well they managed to make it uglier than the origional.

I would guess that the casual observer probably wouldn't even realise this was supposed to be a "new" design.
    I think that on the street it would be recognized as an imposter. Many people know about ferrari body kits and such that you can bolt onto smaller cars. If I saw this on the street my first guess would be a miata with a bolt on enzo body kit.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I can hear it now... "Aww! Honey, isn't that cute? A toy Enzo!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Having a new, drastically different approach to designing your cars might be interesting, but why present it in the most uninteresting form imaginable?

If you are building a "concept" car, the styling doesn't actually cost you anything, and you aren't limited by practical constraints; you can produce something outlandish, attractive and attention-grabbing for the same cost as something uninspired, ungainly and unsophisticated.

It is not as if the Enzo is highly regarded as a good piece of design in the first place, and you would at least expect some sort of "evolution" of the design - as with the FXX - but to leave no detail unchanged apart from reducing the size slightly? Amateurish at best, in an age when something can be knocked up on computer and machined into 3D with such ease, and in a very short space of time.

You are right in what you say, but I suppose they thought it still wasn't the time to show anything more concrete so it's more like a declaration of intention. Maybe it shouldn't be called a concept...

This crap again? booring... new concept usually means NEW! not a scaled down copy of another car.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Heck yeah, keep reducing the weight!

Cars shouldn't have to get bigger and weigh more every year just so they can be "safer". It's nice seeing concept cars going in the opposite direction and keep getting lighter.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Whatever... I think Ferrari should go back to making sexy GT cars instead of appealing to the greenies.

What would Enzo do?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post

What would Enzo do?
    What ever made him money?

I thought he really only cared about the racing...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    What ever made him money?

I thought he really only cared about the racing...
    Yep, that's why he made the road cars in the first place. To make sure he had enough money for racing.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Thread Information