Thread: The two superstars of the 1952 season: Ferrari 500 F2 and Mercedes-Benz 300 SL ...

The two superstars of the 1952 season: Ferrari 500 F2 and Mercedes-Benz 300 SL ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

Today Ferrari is the most successful of all Formula 1 teams. Their championship winning run started in 1952, with a Formula 2 car as for that year the Grand Prix World Championship was run under Formula 2 regulations. Timed perfectly, Ferrari replaced their first Formula 2 car with the brand new 500 F2. Debuting a straight four, it was the very first Ferrari not powered by a V12 engine. Enzo Ferrari's choice to adopt the four cylinder was inspired by the very potent British F2 cars that used a similar design. Alberto Ascari underlined that Ferrari's interpretation of the design was superior, winning all but one of the 1952 European rounds of the championship. The other was won by his team-mate Piero Taruffi. The success continued the following season although Ferrari did lose one of the European rounds to Juan Manuel Fangio. Ascari was the first Ferrari driver to be crowned World Champion, a feat he repeated a year later. The four-cylinder Ferraris were raced for many more seasons in various championships, often in highly modified form. Our article is illustrated by 12 pictures of two surviving cars. One of them was originally raced by Ascari and is considered one of the most successful Grand Prix chassis ever built.
    While Ferrari dominated single seater racing, Mercedes-Benz picked up the big sports car trophy with the 300 SL Competition Coupe. It was the first of the German company's spaceframe designs that was developed into the W196 Grand Prix car and the legendary 'Gullwing' 300 SL. The Le Mans winning machine combined the cutting edge chassis with a road-car derived straight six engine. Like the later road car, it used 'gullwing' style doors to clear the relatively high sills. In preparation for the Le Mans race, Mercedes-Benz tested a roof mounted air-brake on one of the cars but decided not to race it. Both the Le Mans winning machine and the unsuccessful test car are pictured in our 18-shot gallery.

Enjoy the links:

1952 - 1953 Ferrari 500 F2 - Images, Specifications and Information

1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Competition Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm working on an illustration of a 500 F2 currently! Funny coincidence. Here's the piece so far. It's kind of a crappy scan, but you get the idea. I've only got about 5 hours in so far, mainly just the outline. I'll post the finished piece when It's ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

If you drew that by hand I have to say that you got the dimensions spot on. And keep copies of the stages during progress...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks. Yes, I always do everything freehand. I'm going to try to work on it more today, but I've been busy watching my new daughter, so not much time for work lately! I'll post updates.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I always do everything freehand. I'm going to try to work on it more today, but I've been busy watching my new daughter, so not much time for work lately! I'll post updates.
    Well Congratulations then!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Grazie!

Thread Information