Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Discussions Thread

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

The Random Discussions Thread

There. I did it. I felt that UCP needed a Random Discussions Thread so that we don't 'hijack' someone else's thread anymore. But its probably a "whimsical thread'. Let alone a stupid one.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

You just gave another thread to the Aussies to spam in
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

how many is that now?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

more than is warranted.

but we have needed this for a long time. other sites do monthly discussion threads, but i like the idea of just one fricken huge one like the galah sessions, except not biased toward the land that logic forgot.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

There actually is a whole section of the website dedicated to random discussions. It's called "Miscellaneous".

One heck of the thing that.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Yeah, but the Miscellaneous usually has thread with TOPICS. Topics that are meant to stay on TOPIC. Do you understand Roentgen?
    Was this thread a good idea guys?
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Yeah, but the Miscellaneous usually has thread with TOPICS. Topics that are meant to stay on TOPIC.
    I think staying on topic is one of the hardest things to do over the internet. I mean we are a conglomerate who participate with others discussions. A discussion will naturally take you in a trifecta of directions. Say for instance a topic starts as "Places you never will visit." One member will mention a place that another has been and the other member diagrees with what was said with the other user. Now to have a good counterpoint, the second user needs to provide a reason for which the origional users statement is wrong. This can usually be done with something as simple as "Well you must have missed this while you were there." or "Well you must have seen something upresentative of the location origionally stated by the origional user. Naturally the first user will then provide his reasoning behind his point of view and repeat, repeat untill a conclusion happens. This is usually happening while other users not knowing, or caring, post ontopic and now you have 3 or more (Usually much more) conversations happening at the same time in a single thread. The advantage of this is of course not creating a seperate thread for each single conversation. If you were, then threads with titles like "well I disagree with you (See attached link to thread where diasagreement started). If your still reading this stop right meow before it starts getting off topic.
    The second segment of the trifecta that I previously mentioned about various users going off topic in the post relates to the user who intermittenly will make a single post which bears no meaning to the current discussion, but is again answering the question, or making a comment on the thread creators content. This poster, however is intentions may be (good or otherwise) will likely have not read the thread, but simply went from the first post, scrolled to the bottom, and created a reply. This type of post will a) be ignored because topic was suffecently discussed beforehand. b) be ignored because what user stated was so blatant and obviously true, or so far off the mark, users dont have anything constructive to say. A quick and dirty example is like "Fiset is become baby", or "Kitdy like'a da men". Im afraid that I may have gone off track, a quick reread should help. Yes im afraid im wasting your time.
    The third leg of the trifecta from post whoring begins with the idiot who starts upsetting users with his complete lack of logic and just as likely, knowledge. This poster may often say something seemingly innocent like "Speak for yourself. "Are you an adult", as far as any ethical person with a sound sense of judgement is concerned, is as equally irrelevant as "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride"" blah blah blah. The said user is obtuse, nearsighted, and possibly mad. Like so many before him, he will a) insight rage, b) create what can only be described as irrevelant discussion within a purposefull thread, and c) waste your and my time trying to get him to see and understand any point of view other than his own.
    I rest my case now that...um, an African swallow can carry a coconut to Mercia, where as a European swallow cannot.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Was this thread a good idea guys?
    Yup, Its like.. hmm.. a chat room. And like u said, to keep other threads clean.

Hats off to you.

So my town just had an impromptu 'sausage sizzle' day of epic and unexpected proportions, with 3 stores in a 4 store block each hosting sample bbqs for free without any knowing about any of the others. Free foooood!

Hey wait... This isn't Galah Sessions... False advertisement! I'll sue you all!

I have this itchy sensation between my toes!.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

The result of this thread:

1st: People comes in and say very random things... as S.O.S demonstrated.
    2nd: Discussion about whether a thread like this should exist.
    3rd: It's almost a copy of something we already have.

Think about it this way. If I want to start a topic here, I can start it, and people will post back and reply. Now, I can also start a new thread in the Miscellaneous section, and people will also post back and reply.

Posting in Miscellaneous section also means if it is an important point, it'll be easy to find. As for this, if it becomes successful, it will be a HUGE thread, and the result is nobody can find anything they want in it.

Of course, I'm not a moderator, or anything even close to that, but as a low-class forum user, I'm against people who post new threads that just clutters up the website, or is totally pointless (eg. 4wheelsonline, as we already have some very efficient news reporters). Sure, if it's an interesting thread, like the one about the old lady, post right ahead! It has a place under the Miscellaneous section.

In my defence, I must start talking about the threads that I've started

The threads that I am often keen to start are about model cars which I have recently purchased. I believe there are 3 audiences that might be interested in those threads: photographers, model collectors, and the occasional petrolhead. Do correct me if I'm wrong

Anyway, my point of all this is, only post when we either have to (eg. question about how to do something), or really want to (eg. my model car threads). For those news/new car threads, there are experienced forumites for that here already
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Hmm, random....like /b/?
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    Yup, Its like.. hmm.. a chat room. And like u said, to keep other threads clean.

Hats off to you.
    Thank you Dary!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I think staying on topic is one of the hardest things to do over the internet. I mean we are a conglomerate who participate with others discussions. A discussion will naturally take you in a trifecta of directions. Say for instance a topic starts as "Places you never will visit." One member will mention a place that another has been and the other member diagrees with what was said with the other user. Now to have a good counterpoint, the second user needs to provide a reason for which the origional users statement is wrong. This can usually be done with something as simple as "Well you must have missed this while you were there." or "Well you must have seen something upresentative of the location origionally stated by the origional user. Naturally the first user will then provide his reasoning behind his point of view and repeat, repeat untill a conclusion happens. This is usually happening while other users not knowing, or caring, post ontopic and now you have 3 or more (Usually much more) conversations happening at the same time in a single thread. The advantage of this is of course not creating a seperate thread for each single conversation. If you were, then threads with titles like "well I disagree with you (See attached link to thread where diasagreement started). If your still reading this stop right meow before it starts getting off topic.
    The second segment of the trifecta that I previously mentioned about various users going off topic in the post relates to the user who intermittenly will make a single post which bears no meaning to the current discussion, but is again answering the question, or making a comment on the thread creators content. This poster, however is intentions may be (good or otherwise) will likely have not read the thread, but simply went from the first post, scrolled to the bottom, and created a reply. This type of post will a) be ignored because topic was suffecently discussed beforehand. b) be ignored because what user stated was so blatant and obviously true, or so far off the mark, users dont have anything constructive to say. A quick and dirty example is like "Fiset is become baby", or "Kitdy like'a da men". Im afraid that I may have gone off track, a quick reread should help. Yes im afraid im wasting your time.
    The third leg of the trifecta from post whoring begins with the idiot who starts upsetting users with his complete lack of logic and just as likely, knowledge. This poster may often say something seemingly innocent like "Speak for yourself. "Are you an adult", as far as any ethical person with a sound sense of judgement is concerned, is as equally irrelevant as "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride"" blah blah blah. The said user is obtuse, nearsighted, and possibly mad. Like so many before him, he will a) insight rage, b) create what can only be described as irrevelant discussion within a purposefull thread, and c) waste your and my time trying to get him to see and understand any point of view other than his own.
    I rest my case now that...um, an African swallow can carry a coconut to Mercia, where as a European swallow cannot.
    Awesome.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I just thought that some of us feel guilty of hijacking a thread. So, I thought of this. I really need to get a flippin life...
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information