Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HSV Coupe 4

youll more then liekly find it severly limits the cars top speed having all that shit put on it with the added weight and the extra diffs and the transfer case which is exactly what it does to the evo lancer.

well i dont see how it would do that. the Evo lancer is held back by gearing more than anything because if its close ratio gearbox, being a rally derived car. all that extra 100kg weight wouldnt do anything to the coupe4's top speed, its only the weight of an XR8. aerodynamics are the biggest problem for getting around top speed and i dont think a monaro would have any problems with that

Drive train losses will affect it especailly since it has like 3 gear boxes and two diffs too it. The car deosnt strike me as anything specail and i think for 95k as a base price your entiteld to a little more.

You have to compare it to something similar ie AWD 270kw V8 Coupe. And I dont think for $95 large there is anything. If you can forgo AWD, which I could, you are right. Of course strangely you would still be considering a GT Ford or HSV Commodore.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Yeah well strangley i would save 30k and get the option of manual gearbox. One thought that comes to mind I wonder if this is holdens plans for a ARC car with the new rules which allows for prototype cars (the bates brothers carolla) the adventura or the coupe4 would very easily be modified to work well in the rallies itll also be a good way to further develop the system.
    And what could we actually compare it too? that new all paw jaguar their talking about? (supercharged v8 and now has alloy pannels?) uhh ok never mind just looked it up and its onlythe v6 model that has awd well what do you sujjest we compare it too? the new maserati is about 110k more and i cant really think of anything off the top of my head.

My point is, there is nothing within the price range that compares. The GT you want is fine. The Coupe 4 is in a different league. NOt particularly aimed at the highest performace in terms of speed etc. It is aimed at those more likely to be looking at Euro sports cars. If you want the fastest Holden there is the GTS coupe or 4 door. As far as two door coupes go, HSV has it nailed. Brute power or sophisticated driveline and handling. And dont think they have been snookered by the exhaust limit on the power output. They have progressively milked more and more out of the Gen III since they've had it.

Ok some very valid points hav ben made for and against the car and i will agree to disagree while im not totally bought by the car i must admit it does have a few up sides. The main reason i dont like it it is my in general poor opion of AWD (its a good system but has its little draw backs i dont like) and its not helped by lack of love (i dont hate holdens just dont like them as much as ford and take note i wouldent mind owning an VP HSV ) for the brand

Originally posted by Falcon500
    Drive train losses will affect it especailly since it has like 3 gear boxes and two diffs too it. The car deosnt strike me as anything specail and i think for 95k as a base price your entiteld to a little more.
    well its 3 diffs and only 1 gearbox, but still with any more drivetrain losses from them, why is it still as fast as an XR8? you'd think it would be slower

On the comment about Holden entering ARC. The one guy who has been seeing the AWD platform all the way through is Bob Watson. He is an ex rally car champion. It's worth thinking about.

It is too big for a rally car.

definately too big, compared to the corrolas, lancers and imprezas that race. its not like the 70'1 anymore where someone could stick offroad tires on a falcon and win rallies

There is an aussie car class and all of them are rear wheel drives and the car thats currently winning is an XR8 EL so i think itll draw attention to the class given the hours long rallie show we got this year (which is about 45 minutes of what they do in their spare time :yawn: theres not aproblem about that but spread it out a bit more) i think that car could easily dominate that class anyway.

Originally posted by Falcon500
    There is an aussie car class and all of them are rear wheel drives and the car thats currently winning is an XR8 EL so i think itll draw attention to the class given the hours long rallie show we got this year (which is about 45 minutes of what they do in their spare time :yawn: theres not aproblem about that but spread it out a bit more) i think that car could easily dominate that class anyway.
    With all the bitching about the 427 Monaro in the nations cup do you think there would be complaints about a AWD Monaro competing againts rear wheel drive onlys? I rekon it would attract a bit of publicity to the race though.

Guys .. speaking as a foreigner on the cars that you produce - I for one think the holden and ford models and variants you guys make are awesome - I only wish the HSVs and FPVs were available here - I would definitely think of getting a seriously modded HSV Coupe 4. I like the FPV GT looks as well - I just think if they were able to cut down the kerb weight considerably - they'd definitely swing me over ...

well wclome to the forums feejeean i peroanlly would suggest a GT its about 30k cheaper youcan get a manual gearbox for it and it would be esiaer to modify (the holden coupe 4 isnt suggested at over 270kw)
    but im sure it has its up sides (just stiring)
    Well crisis i cant really comlain because they brought in prototype rukles that allow the vehical to race. The calss could use a breath of fresh air hell the newest car there is a EL! (in the aussie class)

Just wonder feejeean what do you get over there? i dont actually know ( i know you got datsun 1600s but thats the only thing i can think of)

Thread Information