Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 512 TR 1991-1994

Ferrari 512 TR 1991-1994

The Ferrari Testarossa (Type F110) is a 12-cylinder mid-engine sports car manufactured by Ferrari, which went into production in 1984 as the successor to the Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer. The Pininfarina-designed car was originally produced from 1984 to 1991, with two model revisions following the ending of Testarossa production and the introduction of the 512 TR and F512 M which were produced from 1992 to 1996. Almost 10,000 Testarossas, 512 TRs, and F512 Ms were produced, making it one of the most-produced Ferrari models, despite its high price and exotic design. In 1995, the F512 M retailed for $220,000 (£136,500).

The Testarossa is a two-door coupé that premiered at the 1984 Paris Auto Show. All versions of the Testarossa had the power fed through the wheels from a rear-mounted, five-speed manual transmission. The Rear mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout (engine between the axles but behind the cabin) keeps the centre of gravity in the middle of the car, which increases stability and improves the car's cornering ability, and thus results in a standing weight distribution of 40% front: 60% rear. The original Testarossa was re-engineered for 1992 and released as the 512 TR, at the Los Angeles Auto Show, effectively as a completely new car, and an improved weight distribution of 41% front: 59% rear. The F512 M was introduced at the 1994 Paris Auto Show. The car dropped the TR initials and added the M which in Italian stood for modificata, or translated to modified, and was the final version of the Testarossa, and continued its predecessor's weight distribution improvement of 42% front: 58% rear. The F512 M was Ferrari's last mid-engine 12-cylinder car, apart from the F50, Ferrari Enzo and LaFerrari, featuring the company's last flat engine. The Testarossa was replaced in 1996 by the front-engined 550 Maranello coupé.

Ferrari Testarossa 1984-1991 - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
    Ferrari F512 M 1994-1996 - Ultimatecarpage.com forums
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Ferrari 512 TR 1991-1994

Engine
    The 512 TR sports a 4.9 litre (4,943 cc or 301.6 cu in) Ferrari Colombo engine 180° F-12 engine longitudinally mid mounted. Each cylinder has four valves, with forty-eight valves total, lubricated via a dry sump system, and a compression ratio of 10.00:1. These combine to provide a maximum torque of 491 newton metres (362 ft·lbf) at 5500 rpm and a maximum power of 319 kilowatts (434 PS; 428 hp) at 6750 rpm.

The Ferrari 512 TR can accelerate from 0–97 kilometres per hour (60 mph) in 4.90 seconds and on to 161 km/h (100 mph) in 10.70 seconds. It can complete a standing (from stationary) quarter mile in 13.20 seconds or a standing kilometre in 23.40 seconds. The maximum speed the 512 TR can attain is 314 kilometres per hour (195 mph).
    A recall was issued in 1995, regarding fuel hose fitting issues. Over 400 models had this defect which was caused by variances in temperature and environment. Another recall was issued in relation to the passive restraint system on seat belts not functioning properly, on over 2,000 512TR's. If the restraint system suffered a mechanical or electrical failure only the lap belt would provide the occupant protection.

The 512 TR's engine was modified in many ways. Nikasil liners were added, along with a new air intake system, Bosch engine management system, larger intake valves, and a revised exhaust system. In addition to the higher peak power, the modifications delivered a more broad power curve for better acceleration.

Gearshifting effort, long a complaint about the Testarossa, was eased with a new single-plate clutch, sliding ball bearings, and better angle for the shifter. The braking system included larger front rotors and cross-drilling all around. Quicker steering, lower-profile tires, and new shock settings improved handling. Most importantly, engine and gearbox position was rethought, which improved the centre of gravity, aiding the handling and making the car less fearsome on the limit.

The interior was revised too, with the center console split from the dashboard, and the climate controls relocated. Pininfarina tweaked the body of the car to better integrate the spoilers and engine cover and update the design in line with the recently released 348.

It cost US$212,160 in 1992 with luxury items, the "gas-guzzler" taxes, and destination freight, it cost £131,600 in the UK.

Wheels
    The 512 TR has 18-inch (457 mm) wheels with a width of 8 in (200 mm) at the front and 10.5 in (270 mm) at the rear. The tire code for the front wheels are 235/40 ZR 18 and 295/35 ZR 18 for the rear tires. The front brakes have a diameter of 315 millimetres (12.40 in) and the rear brakes have a diameter of 310 mm (12.20 in).

info: wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (477.9 KB, 62 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (472.1 KB, 57 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (218.1 KB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (126.6 KB, 66 views)
    Last edited by Duell; 02-07-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

love the third pic very nice car
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

...Utah! Get me two...

...Utah! Get me two...

*drools* i love this car, keep them coming! please!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Until i got into the 512 it was a great car, now i don't even want it given, a real disapontment
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Until i got into the 512 it was a great car, now i don't even want it given, a real disapontment
    What about it disappointed you?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    What about it disappointed you?
    Driving position, the worst i've ever been in, arms to one side, legs to another, but i guess that's almost all supercars are, anyone know of any with a good driving position?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Oh what a beautiful car. Thanks for the pics nopassn.

Driving position, the worst i've ever been in, arms to one side, legs to another, but i guess that's almost all supercars are, anyone know of any with a good driving position?
    the McLaren F1 has a pretty good driving position - or so I've heard
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn
    the McLaren F1 has a pretty good driving position - or so I've heard
    Ithink so to, i guess that all supercars that have right or left stearing wheels will have the problem of puting your legs to the middle of the car, wich is a shame, for me it takes out all the fun of having a car like this, if i can't feel confortable why the hell would i buy a supercar?

Ithink so to, i guess that all supercars that have right or left stearing wheels will have the problem of puting your legs to the middle of the car, wich is a shame, for me it takes out all the fun of having a car like this, if i can't feel confortable why the hell would i buy a supercar?
    If you want to be comfortable, buy a GT car or a fast luxury cruiser - if you want obscene perfomance, you have to compromise...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn
    If you want to be comfortable, buy a GT car or a fast luxury cruiser - if you want obscene perfomance, you have to compromise...
    The problem isn't all about feeling confortable, it's about driving this type of cars without getting out all bent, and a more important issue is that they don't provide a good driving position so how are you going to enjoy a car wich doesn't let you drive or at least doesn't provide good leg position, i'm not even talking about confortable i'm talking non-torture position.

The thuth is, if all supercars, with the exception of the Mc F1, have this driving position, then something is very rong. i understood this when i had the chance of driving some of them, the 512 included, and i can tell you, it was a very big disapointment wich got me thinking about it, if they are all like this then i don't want any of then, i'll buy the one who as decent ergonomics and antropometry wich probably will never exist becouse until i got into one i've never even heard about this "problem" in supercars. i compare it to having the best bicicle in the world and only one foot pedal.

Ferrari Testarossa/512 TR #11
    Yellow
    Fasten seat belt while seated

Ferrari Testarossa/512 TR #15
    Fasten seat belt while seated

Thread Information