Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Classic cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
dave o dave o is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Arizona
1931 Bugatti Type 41 (Royales)

Greetings!

My name is David, and I am wondering if you can help me with something. Many years ago, I worked for Harrah's Automobile Collection in Reno/Sparks Nevada. My dad had started with Mr. Harrah and I followed later. I am now writing a book on my experiences with the Collection and wonder if anyone can provide me with some information. At Harrah's, we had on display two fully restored 1931 Bugatti Type 41 (Royale). Any information would be very much appreciated as to these cars. I have attached thumbnails for both automobiles. I believe the dark blue/gray '31 is at some kind of static display, but whereabouts are unknown. The yellow/black '31 I believe has changed ownership with private collectors. Both of these cars would have been part of the dismantelment of Harrah's Automobile Collection in the 80's. Recent photos would be great along with information.

Thanks ahead,
Dave O.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bugatti_Typ_41_vl_bicolor_TCE.jpg (47.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Bugatti (Royale).jpg (46.8 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 AM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave o View Post
Greetings!

My name is David, and I am wondering if you can help me with something. Many years ago, I worked for Harrah's Automobile Collection in Reno/Sparks Nevada. My dad had started with Mr. Harrah and I followed later. I am now writing a book on my experiences with the Collection and wonder if anyone can provide me with some information. At Harrah's, we had on display two fully restored 1931 Bugatti Type 41 (Royale). Any information would be very much appreciated as to these cars. I have attached thumbnails for both automobiles. I believe the dark blue/gray '31 is at some kind of static display, but whereabouts are unknown. The yellow/black '31 I believe has changed ownership with private collectors. Both of these cars would have been part of the dismantelment of Harrah's Automobile Collection in the 80's. Recent photos would be great along with information.

Thanks ahead,
Dave O.
Welcome, for a beginning, try here

Bugatti Type 41 Royale Binder Coupe de Ville - Ultimatecarpage.com - Images, Specifications and Information
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
go.pawel's Avatar
go.pawel go.pawel is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,114
Gdynia, Poland
Send a message via MSN to go.pawel
The first car is the s/n 41111 Binder Coupe de Ville. It's the first sold Royale, built for French clothing manufacturer Armand Esders in 1932. Originally it was fitted with a roadster body (so-called Esders Roadster) penned by Jean Bugatti. A copy of this car can be seen in the Musee National de l'Automobile.
The body was changed in late thirties to an armoured coupe de ville built by Bilder. It is generally assumed that the Romanian king Carol II commissioned the new body but the war outbreak prevented him from taking delivery of the new car. 41111 was stored in Paris sewers during the war years and subsequently sold to an Englishman named Frederick Henry in 1949. Its next owner, Mills Lane of Atlanta, sold the car to the Harrah's collection in 1964. In 1986 it was bought by Orange County collector William Lyon, who later tried to sell the car at 1996 Barrett-Jackson, but the highest bid of $11M didn't meet the $15M reserve. In 1999 VW bought the car, the price estimates varying from 4 up to 20 million dollars.

The second car is s/n 41150. Despite sporting the highest s/n it was actually the first chassis fitted with a body (apart from the 41100 prototype). It was most probably built in 1929. The body is Double Berline de Voyage made by the factory itself. It's unusually traditional in its looks, compared with the other bodies. The car wasn't sold and remained in the Bugatti family possession until 1950 when, together with s/n 41141, it was bought from Ettore's daughter by Briggs Cunningham. Next owners were: Cameron Peck of Chicago, B. Skitarelic and Jack Nethercutt. The Harrah Collection acquired the car in 1964. Later it was sold to Texan Jerry Moore and finally to Tom Monaghan (of Domino's Pizza). Recently, the car was co-owned by the Blackhawk Collection and the Imperial Palace Collection. The current owner is one Mr. Lee from Korea.
__________________
It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Last edited by go.pawel; 01-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
ScionDriver's Avatar
ScionDriver ScionDriver is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,381
Goshen, IN
Send a message via AIM to ScionDriver
If I remember correctly, probably incorrect though, One of them (Don't know Chasis number or anything) was bought by some Englishman I believe, then he moved it a couple of times during WWII and eventually it came to the states. In the 40s or 50s the engine block cracked and he dumped it in a junkyard. It has since been bought and restored by the Henry Ford Museum. Here is a picture from the Meadowbrook Concours in Detroit, MI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type41.jpg (418.9 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Wouter Melissen's Avatar
Wouter Melissen Wouter Melissen is offline
Supporting Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,530
Rozenburg
Send a message via MSN to Wouter Melissen
Ultimatecarpage.com - Images, Specifications and Information
__________________
If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
go.pawel's Avatar
go.pawel go.pawel is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,114
Gdynia, Poland
Send a message via MSN to go.pawel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
If I remember correctly, probably incorrect though, One of them (Don't know Chasis number or anything) was bought by some Englishman I believe, then he moved it a couple of times during WWII and eventually it came to the states. In the 40s or 50s the engine block cracked and he dumped it in a junkyard. It has since been bought and restored by the Henry Ford Museum. Here is a picture from the Meadowbrook Concours in Detroit, MI
It's the Weinberger Roadster (s/n 41121). The owner was a German surgeon, dr Josef Fuchs of Munich. He took the car with him to Triest, Shanghai and later to New York. In 1938 the engine got broken and in 1943 the car was sent to scrapyard. There it was bought by Charles Chayne (the future VP of GM) for $412 In 1958 the car was donated to the Henry Ford Museum, where it still resides.
__________________
It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
ScionDriver's Avatar
ScionDriver ScionDriver is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,381
Goshen, IN
Send a message via AIM to ScionDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
It's the Weinberger Roadster (s/n 41121). The owner was a German surgeon, dr Josef Fuchs of Munich. He took the car with him to Triest, Shanghai and later to New York. In 1938 the engine got broken and in 1943 the car was sent to scrapyard. There it was bought by Charles Chayne (the future VP of GM) for $412 In 1958 the car was donated to the Henry Ford Museum, where it still resides.
Thank you for clarifying, I knew the end but not the detailed beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
mac townsend mac townsend is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Fairfield, California
I recall the cars in Reno. It is terrible that Holiday Inn felt they had to sell to sell the collection...it was so much more than a bunch of cars.

anyway, the yellow car was in Danville CA at Blackhawk museum as of about 18 months ago.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
dydzi's Avatar
dydzi dydzi is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,450
Warsaw
Send a message via MSN to dydzi
s/n 41111 is currently in vienna on display called Chromjuwelen
__________________
12 cylinders or walk!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic lfb666 Classic cars 44 09-12-2010 09:14 PM
Bugatti Type 101 Ghia Roadster porlamfer Classic cars 39 10-05-2006 08:51 PM
Meadow Brook Concours D'Elegance 2004 Matt Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 79 02-16-2005 05:14 PM
Bugatti Type 41 Royale Henri Binder Coupe de Ville McLareN Multimedia 3 01-08-2005 05:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 PM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com