Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I think the phrase you're looking for is: "You can't put a price on style."
    Precisely, son.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

No worries - It happens to us all and I actually believed you for a minute until I went and found the thread again!

Just to make my point clear: I'm in no doubt now that the 8C is a very good car, but before a car's launched all you can do is hope - you can't be certain there wont be a "fly in the ointment".

The other thing to consider in this particular case though is, and I'm sorry if I'm about to sound like a Porsche bore, that the 997 GT3 is phenomenal at what it does...
    There are some cars though, like the Alfa, that are just great.

How it drives, or how fast it is, or the price are completely irrelevant.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Lies.
    Yeah, right.

$265,000 for a 450Hp V8 Alfa Romeo? You do realize you can buy the exact same engine with 480Hp for around $170,000 in an actual Ferrari?

And then there's the fact that if you want it in anything but Alfa Red which is what everyone's going to get, there's an extra $6,000 for that, or $22,000 for any other color. $22,000 for anything not on Alfa Romeo's color options. That's a helluva lot more than even Lamborghini will charge you to get a custom paint LP640 ($15,000-$18,000).

Just the simple fact a 430 Scuderia will be cheaper is obvious Alfa Romeo is asking too much. I'll save my $15,000 and buy the 430 Scuderia, thank you.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    Yeah, right.

$265,000 for a 450Hp V8 Alfa Romeo? You do realize you can buy the exact same engine with 480Hp for around $170,000 in an actual Ferrari?

And then there's the fact that if you want it in anything but Alfa Red which is what everyone's going to get, there's an extra $6,000 for that, or $22,000 for any other color. $22,000 for anything not on Alfa Romeo's color options. That's a helluva lot more than even Lamborghini will charge you to get a custom paint LP640 ($15,000-$18,000).

Just the simple fact a 430 Scuderia will be cheaper is obvious Alfa Romeo is asking too much. I'll save my $15,000 and buy the 430 Scuderia, thank you.
    You have valid points, I mostly agree with you. Except I dunno, there's something about the 8C, what we call in French un petit je-ne-sais-quoi that makes it better than the 430 Scuderia. It may not be the best bang for the bucks, but it's definitely one hell of a beautiful car.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 03-10-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

This man speaketh the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    You have valid points, I mostly agree with you. Except I dunno, there's something about the 8C, what we call in French un petit je-ne-sais-quoi that makes it better than the 430 Scuderia. It may not be the best bang for the bucks, but it's definitely one hell of a beautiful car.
    I'll agree it's a great looking car. But for me and others, we'd like to get more for our money than just a good looking exterior.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Yeah, right.

Only they'll only be making 500, it doesn't have the same engine as the Ferrari and here it costs a little bit less than the Scuderia.
    Visca Catalunya!

Only they'll only be making 500, it doesn't have the same engine as the Ferrari and here it costs a little bit less than the Scuderia.
    Ok, it's a Ferrari-tuned V8. I'd still rather have the real deal regardless of how many they are making in a coupe version, b/c I still find it overpriced for what you get.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Ok, it's a Ferrari-tuned V8. I'd still rather have the real deal regardless of how many they are making in a coupe version, b/c I still find it overpriced for what you get.
    Maybe if you look at the preformance but there's so much more. What about the Reventon and the Spykers then?
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe if you look at the preformance but there's so much more. What about the Reventon and the Spykers then?
    The Spykers are like it, but they're at least somewhat unique.

And the Reventon isn't like this. That's nothing more than a collector's show piece in reality, and isn't being built to compete with anyone. Finding 20 folks to actually pay $1.4 million for a car that has a Lamborghini emblem on it is also a lot easier than Alfa Romeo trying to find 1,000 folks willing to buy this over a Ferrari F430 or 430 Scuderia.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

The Spykers are like it, but they're at least somewhat unique.

And the Reventon isn't like this. That's nothing more than a collector's show piece in reality, and isn't being built to compete with anyone. Finding 20 folks to actually pay $1.4 million for a car that has a Lamborghini emblem on it is also a lot easier than Alfa Romeo trying to find 1,000 folks willing to buy this over a Ferrari F430 or 430 Scuderia.
    Aren't the 500 orders already sold out? I could see an additional 500 being sold out as well to be honest. Everyone seems to think that the car is so gorgeous.

I dunno: Nice-looking cars are actually quite a regular occurrence these days - for me it takes far more to impress, especially at that price point. However, we now know that the 8C is a good car, and with a little more development on the handling side of things, could be a truly legendary one. - We need a "GT3" version with less weight, better suspension and the rear bumper better integrated into the shape of the rear-end (the only slightly imperfect design detail for me)!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I dunno: Nice-looking cars are actually quite a regular occurrence these days...
    Are they? Where? I want to be able buy them too...

Thing is most cars have been ugiflied from generation to generation these days. Even some that I thought was impossible, like the 307/308.

If that because of regulations or because people like fugly cars I do not know. Even I drive a car that's not exactly what we'd call beautiful.

The 8C (Spider especially) though, has ben one of the very few contemporary cars which I looked at it and thought it was absolutely beautiful, with no need for buts and ifs at all.
    Visca Catalunya!

you folks are building a quite good conversation...but i can't remember the last time someone talked about the new gallardo...so i will join you ... taking a Scuderia against an 8C is a mere question of taste. you can argue between Scuderia and Gallardo Superleggera. since the 8C is built in a limited edition, it cannot be compared with others "standard" cars. with this approach, i could justify even the Reventon, which is a 5 times more expensive LP640, but with a unique style. nothing more. the 8C is a tuned version of a Maserati Gran Turismo and also has a unique style. and in Europe the difference is about 50k €. now, i don't care if the dollar has a bad exchange rate with the euro. is still too much expensive? i still don't know the price of the Gran Turismo S, which is going to have the same engine as the 8C, but it wiill be oviously higher than that of the standard version, so not so far from that of the 8C, which is much more exclusive. you can not like the 8C but it isn't too much expensive. if you would rather prefer a Ferrari because it is "the true one", the only similar car (GT) in the Maranello's line-up is the 599 GTB, much more expensive and at a totally different performance level.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Concerning the 8C it's not as easy as saying it's a Maserati GranTurismo with an Alfa Romeo badge on it. It's a mix of GranTurismo and old Gransport, with bespoke carbonfibre bodywork and a different engine (even from that of the GranTurismo S, a different tune) as well as different settings.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information