Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news, Lambo back at killing people

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Electronic aids can't put power to the other wheels unless their are driveshafts and diffs there to start with. The electronics control the diff slip rates to adjust torque to different driven wheels when needed and apply brakes to slow wheels down.
    So AWD/Quattro adds an extra capability for better performance.
    But is AWD needed at all in this day and age ? Canīt, for example, these rumored RWD Lambos with driverīs aids be as fast, exciting and safe as the regular AWD ones? And if so, whatīs the point of still keeping the heavier, mechanically more complicated, more expensive to manufacture(?) AWD versions?
    Last edited by teatako; 12-19-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    But is AWD needed at all in this day and age ? Canīt, for example, these rumored RWD Lambos with driverīs aids be as fast, exciting and safe as the regular AWD ones? And if so, whatīs the point of still keeping the heavier, mechanically more complicated, more expensive to manufacture(?) AWD versions?
    Because Lamborghini realised that if they killed their entire customer base they'd end up with no sales at all.

Maybe they are now tired of building so many cars and want to go on a holiday.

Probably.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because Lamborghini realised that if they killed their entire customer base they'd end up with no sales at all.

Maybe they are now tired of building so many cars and want to go on a holiday.

Probably.

"The economy is going off a cliff anyway, so nowīs the time to kill them off AND take some money from them while we can!" ?

Or maybe a master plan by Audi to make Lambos unsafe and lean people towards the R8?

Seriously though, now that I wrote that last sentence, it makes perfect sense to set Lamborghini models apart by offering RWD because of the R8, doesnīt it?
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    Seriously though, now that I wrote that last sentence, it makes perfect sense to set Lamborghini models apart by offering RWD because of the R8, doesnīt it?
    Could be a reason. Altough the Murcielago has no Audi equivalent.
    Visca Catalunya!

This might also make the Veyron more "special", not that it needs it.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Does someone really buy an AWD Lamborghini because of the safety? I always though anyone who bought a post-Diablo Lamborghini had no taste, didn't like driving, or was a straight up would-be. For the purist customers and driving enthusiasts, RWD just makes sense for an automotive of Lamborghini's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Does someone really buy an AWD Lamborghini because of the safety? I always though anyone who bought a post-Diablo Lamborghini had no taste, didn't like driving, or was a straight up would-be. For the purist customers and driving enthusiasts, RWD just makes sense for an automotive of Lamborghini's caliber.
    Modern Lambos drive much better than Lamborghinis of yore, but I agree with you.
    That being said, Lambo has never pandered to the "nerdy" driving crowd, they alwayls sell to those who need to be flash and stylish. That applies to RWD Lambos too.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Modern Lambos drive much better than Lamborghinis of yore, but I agree with you.
    That being said, Lambo has never pandered to the "nerdy" driving crowd, they alwayls sell to those who need to be flash and stylish. That applies to RWD Lambos too.
    Not always. At first Lamborghini wanted to make the ultimate grand tourer. They tried until the 70's.

Before that in the late 60's, the Miura came. And that changed everything. It was a revolution. And since then Lamborghini has been the car of choice for someone who wanted a supercar that was way beyond the realms of sanity.

Flash and stylish? Flash maybe, stylish not so much I'd say.
    Visca Catalunya!

Flash maybe, stylish not so much I'd say.
    I'd say class-less. Well, many of their driver's at least.

The RWD Murcielago has been known, but a proper Superleggera is nuts. Even more so, it's being developed for the LP560. Look out Ferrari & Porsche.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Sweet, this is good news. I think AWD is useless unless you absolutely want those incredible 0-60 times or plan on dealing with incredibly low traction situations. The latter doesn't really apply to lambos and the first has serious sustainability issues (burn out the clutch if you keep revving it up and dropping it.) I really don't think it is worth the extra cost and complexity, to say nothing of the weight.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    I'd say class-less. Well, many of their driver's at least.
    It's widely known that Lamborghini is the company car of choice for the gentlemen of the adult-entertainment bussiness.

At least Lambos are (or perhaps used to be) authentic. I like that in a car.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's widely known that Lamborghini is the company car of choice for the gentlemen of the adult-entertainment bussiness.

So you're saying that you're in the adult entertainment bussiness?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I thought that title belonged to the Corvette. Not that I know from watching...
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Is AWD really beneficial to 0-60 or is it traction control that does the job? The AWD adds what about 100 pounds or so to the car yeah, does the fancy traction control + AWD utilised by cars such as the GT-R make it better than a comparable RWD car?

And wwgkd would you consder extreme track cornering as low-traction situations as at that speed traction is hard to come by?

Thread Information