Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You've been asking for rear wheel drive from Lamborghini for such a long time, and when they deliver it - you complain! The relative weight of it is puzzling though - what was added? The less power is very odd as well - why not a bit more power. Isn't that how limited editions work?

I woulda figured for you Ferrer that the fact it was rear wheel drive would eliminate the other "problems" with this car. I recall reading a review of the 560-4 and it was amazing; I don't doubt that this one will be amazing either.
    Personal preferences can account for much of that. So many people diefy the Veyron and gush about how it is the all time king of super cars. I have trouble liking any sports car that weighs more than an F-150, regardless of what else it an do.

I for one was expecting much more from a RWD version in the stats department and it leaves me wondering what it would be like to drive with a little less enthusiasm than I had previously felt for the concept. Did they decide not to increase the power because they were worried about percieved 'safety'? If so, that would kind of be a downer. When it comes down to it loving a car is about passion and passion is highly subjective and can be influenced by little details like that.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Would this car be your selection in the current Lamborghini lineup?
    Hard question actually. On the one hadn it's the only two wheel drive Lambo currently on sale, but on the other hand it's pretty much an Audi. The Murcielago is four wheel drive, but it's a proper Lambo, V12 engine, mad doors, impractical proportions and all.

It's near the top, but I don't know if it's the one I'd choose.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Here are the weights of the various Gallardos via UCP:

Lightest to heaviest

Gallardo Superlegerra 1330 kilo / 2932.1 lbs
    Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni 1380 kilo / 3042.4 lbs
    Gallardo 1430 kilo / 3152.6 lbs
    Gallardo LP560-4 1500 kilo / 3306.9 lbs

I guess it would be more ideal were this car lighter than the Superlegerra, but it also has a larger engine by 200 ccs which will account for some weight. It isn't really that bad I don't think. I also learned that the V10 in the Gallardo is undersquare which I find a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Hard question actually. On the one hadn it's the only two wheel drive Lambo currently on sale, but on the other hand it's pretty much an Audi. The Murcielago is four wheel drive, but it's a proper Lambo, V12 engine, mad doors, impractical proportions and all.

It's near the top, but I don't know if it's the one I'd choose.
    Why is the Gallardo pretty much an Audi?

Why is the Gallardo pretty much an Audi?
    Because it's as near as makes no difference an Audi R8. IIRC LotD even said that some parts had Audi badges on them.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because it's as near as makes no difference an Audi R8. IIRC LotD even said that some parts had Audi badges on them.
    But did not the Gallardo come out years in advance of the R8? I know Audi owns Lamborghini, but it would seem to me the R8 is a Lamborghini, not the other way around. That is unless Audi had a significant role in designing the Gallardo. If the Gallardo was designed by Lamborghini for the most part, even if it uses Audi parts, I would still say it's soul/DNA is Lamborghini. If not, then maybe not.

But did not the Gallardo come out years in advance of the R8? I know Audi owns Lamborghini, but it would seem to me the R8 is a Lamborghini, not the other way around. That is unless Audi had a significant role in designing the Gallardo. If the Gallardo was designed by Lamborghini for the most part, even if it uses Audi parts, I would still say it's soul/DNA is Lamborghini. If not, then maybe not.
    Well, you you asked why the V10 engine is undersquare. It's because it's based in Audi's 90º V engine architecture. Audi's 3.2 litre V6, 4.2 litre V8 and 5.2 litre V10 all share the same bore and stroke.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well, you you asked why the V10 engine is undersquare. It's because it's based in Audi's 90º V engine architecture. Audi's 3.2 litre V6, 4.2 litre V8 and 5.2 litre V10 all share the same bore and stroke.
    I knew that the engine was Audi related. What about the chassis though? I know the engine is the heart of the car and if the heart of the car is based on an Audi design that takes way form the "Lamborghininess" of the Gallardo but surely there is more to the engine than just the block/bore/stroke.

Even if it is just an Audi (yes I know how much you hate Audis) this is one damn fine Audi at least - have you read the reviews? Is it really that bad that it and the R8 are similar?

I knew that the engine was Audi related. What about the chassis though? I know the engine is the heart of the car and if the heart of the car is based on an Audi design that takes way form the "Lamborghininess" of the Gallardo but surely there is more to the engine than just the block/bore/stroke.

Even if it is just an Audi (yes I know how much you hate Audis) this is one damn fine Audi at least - have you read the reviews? Is it really that bad that it and the R8 are similar?
    It's not the fact that it's bad a car, which as you say it isn't, that annoys me. It's annoys me for the same reason the Astonota annoys me. I don't want rebadged cars. I want unique cars, I want cars that stand true to their principles, not that they are trying to sell you a badge.

There are plenty of examples as we discussed in the Toyoartin thread. The Audi A3, the Cadillac BLS, the Alfa Romeo MiTo and many more. Thing is, I don't want being ripped off, and when I buy a car I want to feel than I'm buying for something, not because it has a badge or a name. The Arnage v Continental series is a classic case in point. I'm sure the Continental is a much better car than the Arnage objectively, but if I bought one I couldn't help feeling that I just bought an expensive Volkswagen.

And this is the same. The R8 is fine, you may like it or not but it's an Audi and a proper one at that. If I buy a Lambo I want a Lambo not an Audi with an augmented pricetag.

I know this could be potentially controversial and that many people won't agree, but that's how I see it.
    Visca Catalunya!

A few things. Did Audi since the start of the Gallardo program plan on bringing out the R8?

Why did the old V10 not share the same bore and stroke?

You didn't address the issue of design - if the Gallardo is an in house Lamborghini design, then is it not a Lamborghini and the R8 is the impostor?

As for Arnage vs Continental, I'm not sure that the Continental would be an o bjectively better car.

A few things. Did Audi since the start of the Gallardo program plan on bringing out the R8?

Why did the old V10 not share the same bore and stroke?

You didn't address the issue of design - if the Gallardo is an in house Lamborghini design, then is it not a Lamborghini and the R8 is the impostor?
    I don't know but the original one had too many Audi parts, not only the engine (which shares the bore and stroke with Audi's 3 litre V6) but the interior too for instance, for it to be a 100% inhouse Lambo design. Then there's the four wheel drive which certainly is an Audi trademark. And finally the R8. I'd say too much of a coincindence there to not have any sort of Audi involvement...
    As for Arnage vs Continental, I'm not sure that the Continental would be an o bjectively better car.
    Well it's cheaper, faster and uses less fuel. However it certainly doesn't have the sense of occasion an Arnage has.
    Visca Catalunya!

I never said it was 100% a Lamborghini, but say it's 75% or so then I'd consider it a Lamborghini. They may well have raided Audi's parts bin but that doesn't mean it's an Audi.

As for the Continental vs. Arnage, is not the Arnage one of the absolutely top flight luxury sedans along with only the Phantom and Maybach? Doesn't that say anything about it?

EDIT: Lamborghini used all wheel drive before Audi came into play, did they not? Is not Lamborghini's all wheel drive system different than Audis?

The only problem is: Lamborghini belongs to Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    The only problem is: Lamborghini belongs to Audi.
    When Lamborghini built the Diablo, it was owned by Chrysler. I don't see how ownership would be a problem.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Well i'm a bit puzeled about the weight to, maybe when the first unit start coming of the line we'll know the real weight.

Now, even with 10 less horse power the car should be puting more power on the road than the 560, it does have less drive train parts so less loss in power to wheels.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information