Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good news, Lambo back at killing people

well AWD is less efficient and seems to put more wear on the tires in my experience (could be other factors to that though)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Most of this AWD/RWD talk seems to be track biased, where theres smooth lines, usually trained drivers and high grip tarmac. Lamborghini's basic range of cars arent track inspired cars like a GT3 or sold to people Lamborghini deem fit to own one of their cars like an Enzo. Making them AWD is only logical given the types of buyers and the possible almost-every day usage, and the least powerful Lambo on the market is still 500hp.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Most of this AWD/RWD talk seems to be track biased, where theres smooth lines, usually trained drivers and high grip tarmac. Lamborghini's basic range of cars arent track inspired cars like a GT3 or sold to people Lamborghini deem fit to own one of their cars like an Enzo. Making them AWD is only logical given the types of buyers and the possible almost-every day usage, and the least powerful Lambo on the market is still 500hp.
    Which stems back to my remark of a RWD based Murcielago appealing more to purists and enthusiasts of racing.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    But isn't AWD only used to the fullest off the tarmac? I'm no engineering expert but to my knowledge RWD provides better cornering than AWD (in a road racing perspective), and RWD is just better all around with track racing.
    I dunno which is why I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Well, I am formerly an engineering student and a person who likes to know how things work and the mechanism of how they work so in this instance - it does matter.

It sounds - thought you don't state it - that you are siding with RWD cars. What if you prefer the grip/dynamics of AWD during cornering?
    Well usually 4WD ends understeering (except for the most high tech systems), so that's no fun in my opinion.

Also four wheel drive provides masses of grip which means that to reach the limit you have to drive and faster and therefore if you make a mistake in a corner the results will be much more... expensive.

I do prefer rear wheel drive because of the purer driving experience, as well as weight and simplicity benefits. But each to his own I guess.

Also I'm not racing driver, nor there are many track days around here, so Iim not interested in race track performance. But even so I'd still prefer rear wheel drive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Maybe some people don't want to feel that limit - maybe the want more control and confidence during high speed manoeuvres.

you mean they want to go fast without actually learning how to drive fast?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I have a feeling almost everyone here is too ham fisted of a driver to eek the top performance out of either drivetrains.

Maybe AWD is a selling point for current gen lambo, god knows the cars catch on fire enough without making the car out of napalm.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I have a feeling almost everyone here is too ham fisted of a driver to eek the top performance out of either drivetrains.
    ferrer's point is exactly that. the AWD could make it worse because you think you can go faster because the AWD is taking care of things

If the driver is dull thats quite a possibility. I'd think that understeer is safer than snap oversteer.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

If the driver is dull thats quite a possibility. I'd think that understeer is safer than snap oversteer.
    And much less fun, which is the point of an enthusiasts car. Having the back end slip a little as a warning is far better than a false sense of security encouraging you to go beyond your limits.

As mentioned before the massive understeer (and wear on the tires) associated with most awd systems really kills the fun. AWD is really only practical if you're a fan of rallying as a type of sporty driving, if you have a very expensive awd system (and even then there are better alternatives,) or if you just want the easier driving in snowy/icy conditions. For offroad (not just gravel roads,) awd isn't as good as a true 4wd system.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

True, understeer is safer. But we don't buy cars because they are safe do we?

As clutch said, since in my not a super driver I prefer to have fun a lower speeds rather than high ones. And even so there are plenty of 2WD cars that have a lot of speed.

In my opinion for normal road cars 4WD/AWD only brings complexity and weight with no real world benefots in the end.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As clutch said, since in my not a super driver I prefer to have fun a lower speeds rather than high ones. And even so there are plenty of 2WD cars that have a lot of speed.
    And RWD cars deliver all that power to the rear wheels instead of dividing it to the two axles...

Which means, there will not be much difference in acceleration times because this is a mid-engined car... The weigh of that engine presses down to that rear wheel...

it has more traction and torque to the rear wheels...IMO
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Instead of speed I meant grip sorry.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Instead of speed I meant grip sorry.
    It's lighter too, even without that AWD, it may still be able to hug the apex of corners...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Thread Information