Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

The Photography Discussion Thread

Since theres a 'PC Discussion Thread' there are obviously just as many photography enthusiasts as there are pc enthusiasts on this forum. So anything to do with photography that would lead the latest 'photo comp' astray, post here. Tips, questions, news, problems etc. I do believe alot of the members would appreciate and help from the more experienced photographers on the forum. Afterall, there is alot of kit shared on ucp!

(if the thread goes to plan, a mod could make it sticky to show up in this section of the forum permanently?)

A most welcome idea and possibly one that warrants a sort of special subforum with different topics/subjects.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yeah, that is a good idea. Lots of threads have come up recently about recommendations on their next purchase.

Great idea, seeing as i am hoping to take Photography at college next year, and also hope to become a professional automotive photographer! . I look forward to reading tips, hints and other advice from the experienced photographers on the forum!

Thanks, Rob.

Sweet idea Rik.

Who wants to make the first topic?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Sweet idea Rik.

Who wants to make the first topic?
    better get it properly organised first
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Oh, so this isn't going to be the discussion thread? I think a sub-forum is a good idea, with the photo comps in them, too.

If you live in the US (or even if you dont) check out the Maine Photographic Workshops. Their Young Artists' workshops are unbeleivable. You get taught by seasoned and well respected professionals in a two week intensive program. I attended two, one digital one black and white film, and besides meeting some of my best friends, it had a HUGE impact on my photography. They also teach adult workshops, and up until his passing this summer, Arnold Newman (google if you dont know) taught a course there every summer. It was quite something to be going to camp with one of the most respected portrait photographers of our time.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Well, ill start this stuff off

As some of you might know i regularly take pictures at all sorts of party's. Most look ok,but some seem a bit too dark. I found a setting of shutter time (1/15 - 1/20) so that i can snap a good picture,without moving in the crowd. Are there any tips or advice you have for them to lighten up a bit.
    My preferred settings so far are
    1/15 to 1/20 shutter time
    f 3.2
    single autofocus
    iso and whitebalance automatic.

I'v eheard stuff about white balance and iso affecing lighting conditions. Could anyone explain it a bit better ? I'd like all advice you can give me on this.

Cheers,
    Sjoerd

can you post an example? i would recomend not using auto ISO, set it how you want. ISO affects the sensor's sensitivity to light. 100 is not very sensitive, thus pictures will need longer shutter speeds and wider apertures, and 1600 is very sensitive, meaning you can use faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures. the downside is higher ISO creates more grain. IMO, however, its better to get a grainy but properly exposed image than an underexposed image that will show up grainier when you try and rescue it in photoshop.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Buy a dSLR camera, so you use higher ISOs without ruining your shots with noise.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    can you post an example? i would recomend not using auto ISO, set it how you want. ISO affects the sensor's sensitivity to light. 100 is not very sensitive, thus pictures will need longer shutter speeds and wider apertures, and 1600 is very sensitive, meaning you can use faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures. the downside is higher ISO creates more grain. IMO, however, its better to get a grainy but properly exposed image than an underexposed image that will show up grainier when you try and rescue it in photoshop.
    The colour of the skin looks kind of odd on some. Also i am not satisfied with the image as a whole. I know it could be slightly better,but wasnt able to get the settings spot-on Thx for your quick reply anyway
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-08-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    The colour of the skin looks kind of odd on some.
    Not sure if anything is in focus in the picture, but I see hair gel is in fashion in the Netherlands.

Really though, low light focus is a very weak point of SLR-style cameras. The noise, also a weak-point. The pasty skin just looks like your WB was off.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Not sure if anything is in focus in the picture, but I see hair gel is in fashion in the Netherlands.
    check one of my recent submissions to the photo comp

Really though, low light focus is a very weak point of SLR-style cameras. The noise, also a weak-point. The pasty skin just looks like your WB was off.
    ok. thanks for the comments. What does the white balance exactly control if I may ask ? The low-light-focus does not give me too much problems though(indoors). Outdoors it is a bit harder.... I didnt exactly find much time lately to dive into the photography unfortunately But I'll do my best to do a industry-by-night session in the next 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    What does the white balance exactly control if I may ask ?
    Basically, as I understand it, different lights give off different colors, and in order to take the picture as you see it, the sensor in your camera has to choose which light to record, by using preset color temperature settings, known as white balance. It's called white balance, because in different lights, the best way to get all the colors right is to make sure that something you see as white comes out white int he picture.

That' probably a crappy description, but hopefully it helps somewhat.

Thread Information