Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The skies of Europe are quiet

The skies of Europe are quiet

Well not one plane flying in/out of UK for last 6 hours and nothing will move at all till tomorrow morning.
    Our flight to Belfast cancelled.

Getting camera out to see what the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud will do to the sunset

No flights above Paris ....... Brussels, Schiphol and CDG all closed along with everything else North
    RadarVirtuel.com
    hmmm, intrigued at ONE private flight ... am guessing emergency medical ??

And the reasons why ....

BBC News - Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

An image made available by NEODASS/University of Dundee which shows the volcanic ash plume from Iceland, top left, to the north of Britain as received by NASA's Terra Satellite at 11.39 GMT Thursday April 15, 2010. All flights in and out of the UK and several other European countries have been suspended as ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland moves south. The UK's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in UK airspace until at least 0700 BST on Friday amid fears of engine damage. The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a spokesman said.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-15-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Pretty scary stuff, the sort of things you'd call rubbish if first seen in a movie.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Well not one plane flying in/out of UK for last 6 hours and nothing will move at all till tomorrow morning.
    Our flight to Belfast cancelled.

Getting camera out to see what the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud will do to the sunset

No flights above Paris ....... Brussels, Schiphol and CDG all closed along with everything else North
    RadarVirtuel.com
    hmmm, intrigued at ONE private flight ... am guessing emergency medical ??

And the reasons why ....

BBC News - Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

An image made available by NEODASS/University of Dundee which shows the volcanic ash plume from Iceland, top left, to the north of Britain as received by NASA's Terra Satellite at 11.39 GMT Thursday April 15, 2010. All flights in and out of the UK and several other European countries have been suspended as ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland moves south. The UK's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in UK airspace until at least 0700 BST on Friday amid fears of engine damage. The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a spokesman said.

Definitely do this and please share them!
    When we have forest fires and the sky fills with ash it creates some of the best sunsets I've seen and I can only imagine this is similar.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Volcanic ash....meh...try dealing with the yellow clouds of pollen here.

It reached Germany now. All of the big Airports in northern Germany have closed. Now imagine the volcano just decides that it wants to smoke on. The airports will have to stay closed. Sound rather bad in my opinion.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I heard about this too. Better safe than sorry, that volcanic dust can do some real damage to an engine.

Must be a lot of ash and other material to ground airplanes. A wise move, I think, to be cautious.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Well the sunset was VERY disappointing. SO much for listening to the weather guy
    Just a muchy grey/washed out red. PAH

Ther's not a lot of ash, we're 800 miles away, BUT the concern is that the type of fine ash that is sitting above 30,000 ft is likely to clump and form glass in the heat of the engine and possibly clog. So the rules the air industry agreed have been applied.

If it doesn't clear qucikly I expect we will see the air industry modify the rules to allow some/most flights to restart. There is no way that Europe can exist without those planes flying
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Heard about this on the news. It would be amazing to see an eruption but volcanoes can be quite devestating.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Well the sunset was VERY disappointing. SO much for listening to the weather guy

Ther's not a lot of ash, we're 800 miles away, BUT the concern is that the type of fine ash that is sitting above 30,000 ft is likely to clump and form glass in the heat of the engine and possibly clog. So the rules the air industry agreed have been applied.

If it doesn't clear qucikly I expect we will see the air industry modify the rules to allow some/most flights to restart. There is no way that Europe can exist without those planes flying
    heh you should know better by now
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Volcanic ash....meh...try dealing with the yellow clouds of pollen here.
    You do have my sympathy in trying to keep stuff clean... but thankfully pollen won't destroy a jet engine. A flight ban is the safest thing to do, a minor inconvenience compared to engine failure. Weird how something so dangerous can produce the most amazing sunrise/sunsets. After Pinatubo erupted, evening skies were spectacular for a couple of years.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Yea, given that volcanic ash can cause glass to form in the engines.. I think I'll take the pollen.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

A danish scientist has studied the volcano and is predicting that it could stay active for up to 2 years! (based on previous activity). (Of Course not in this degree)

Don't worry about it. Here are a few sunset photos I have taken over the years...
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

CHeers Fleet
    Sunrise was equally "boring".

Drop the flight corridors 10-15,000 feet and it will be avoided where it currently is "massing". Again, I'm betting if it hangs around too long things like this will be done.

THe last time this one went up (200 years ago) it ran for 18 months - common knowledge. I wonder how much "expertise" it takes to become a "Danish scientist" and how much you get paid, I fancy a career change

THis morning's "footprint" of inactivity.

Thread Information