Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Rep?

What happened to Rep?

Can a moderator answer this question. It just suddenly between my posts, dissapeared. I'm curious on what happened and I'm sure others are as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Reputation has been the cause of a lot of infighting and complaints on the Forums, so we all decided to get rid of it entirely. this way there is no competition, and therefore posts will be all that matters. You'll have to make up your own mind on people and their posts, not just look at their rep and either dismiss it or give it creedance.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Makes sense, too bad though as it seemed like a great thing. But whatevers best for the forums must be done, and if this will better UCP then I'm all for it.

Also, instead of giving/taking rep for a post, now you could just PM the person and let 'em know what you thought of there post, that way we still get the positive/negative feedback on our posts (which is always good, imo).
    Last edited by Ferrari Tifosi; 09-17-2004 at 02:36 AM.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Rep is a double edge sword. It can be a help when you want to reward someone for their contributions, but it can be abused and create a kind of "Rep Envy", which can make people a target.

Glad your on board for the changes, we're just trying to keep the forums to their usual high standard.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Yes, the reputation system is disabled for the moment, if it has a noticable effect on the community, we'll keep it off.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Yes, the reputation system is disabled for the moment, if it has a noticable effect on the community, we'll keep it off.
    what effect are you actually thinking of?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I wondered where it went.
    damn id almost hit 50 too...
    nah tis kay whatevers good for the community here then im all for it.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Makes sense, too bad though as it seemed like a great thing. But whatevers best for the forums must be done, and if this will better UCP then I'm all for it.

Also, instead of giving/taking rep for a post, now you could just PM the person and let 'em know what you thought of there post, that way we still get the positive/negative feedback on our posts (which is always good, imo).

i like the idea with the PM, kinda like rather than giving/taking rep points, you can provide positive or negative feedback
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i like the idea with the PM, kinda like rather than giving/taking rep points, you can provide positive or negative feedback
    the size of the PM mailbox is rather small. Is there anyway to export the messages?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    what effect are you actually thinking of?
    My intentions for adding reputation in the first place was to have a self regulating system on the forums. As a side effect members might feel reluctant to freely speak their mind in fear of getting negative rep. To find out how much of an effect rep has on the overall mood on the forums.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

well i'll giveyou credit for one thing wouter, at least someone who recieved neg rep a fair bit and had their rep declining might be influenced to change their ways, the same might not be able to be said with a simple feedback system
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    To find out how much of an effect rep has on the overall mood on the forums.
    to be continued??

i think its stupid, the system was working well.
    UCP's Most Hardcore 2 Door Performance Car Freak

UCP's Most Hardcore Fitness Freak

Im Going To Be A Millionare At 17

Argue Me If You Want ^^

I dont think we'll see any major changes in peoples behaviour, it could really go either way if you think about it. Rep was a good way to keep the people who were getting out of line back in line. If that didnt work then banning was the only other real option. now with rep gone what options do the mods have in discipline? you cant just dock a few reps now, theres only warnings then a ban, no in between, a warning, a neg rep, then a ban was the norm before wasnt it? really i think itll cause an unnecessary pain on behalf of the mods but its its worth a shot i spose.
    The Datto will rage again...

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    i liked the rep system... i just wished the moderators would actually talked to us about removing them first before actually remove it completely....
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Thread Information