Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW reportedly readying Super Sport variant of next 1-Series

BMW reportedly readying Super Sport variant of next 1-Series

From leftlanenews.com
    Mean and green: BMW reportedly readying Super Sport variant of next 1-Series
    Ever since the BMW 1-Series hit U.S. shores, buyers have been clamoring for a high-performance M version. BMW has repeatedly shot down the idea of an M variant of the current 1-Series, but an adequate M replacement may be in the cards for the next iteration of the car.

According to AutoBild, BMW is readying a performance version of the next 1-Series. Those waiting for the reincarnation of the classic 2002 might be disappointed – as the next 1-Series is slated to grow in virtually every direction compared to the current car – but those wanting all-out performance will be more than pleased with the upcoming car.
    Although the high-performance version of the next 1-Series will essentially be an M1, BMW wanted to stay clear of that nameplate as to not confuse the 1-Series variant with the supercar of the same name from the late 1970s and early 80s. Instead, BMW will call the car the Super Sport.
    The Super Sport will be based on the next 1-Series coupe platform, but will take the car to the performance extreme. The Super Sport will shed at least 220 pounds compared to the standard car, largely through a rear-seat deletion, lighter weight doors and hood and a carbon fiber roof similar to the current M3. Several other tricks, such as a light-weight air conditioning system, will also help to keep weight to a minimum.
    To really make the Super Sport track worthy, BMW will fit it with bigger wheels and brakes, an adjustable suspension and an adaptive aerodynamics package. An optional four-point harness will ensure that the car’s improved handling doesn’t the driver out of their seat – which will also be of the sport variety and carbon-shelled.
    Underhood, the Super Sport will feature a four-cylinder engine displacing between 2 and 2.2 liters. A forced induction system will boost horsepower to at least 300, but should keep the Super Sport impressively green. In fact, early reports suggest the Super Sport could near the 40 mpg mark – an impressive figure considering the car will also be capable of hitting 60 mph in about 5 seconds.
    No word on when the Super Sport is expected to hit the market, but we sure hope BMW keeps it in its future vehicle plans.

Discuss.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

bastards.... call is the tii. we dont need another stupid SS. especially from a bmw. (seems like the german cars would avoid the SS moniker.)
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    bastards.... call is the tii. we dont need another stupid SS. especially from a bmw. (seems like the german cars would avoid the SS moniker.)
    Indeed and lulz.
    I find 40 mpg quite hard to believe.
    While they're working their mpg magic they should restyle it too.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    While they're working their mpg magic they should restyle it too.
    Put 3-Coupe headlights on it and make it lighter and it'd be ultra sick.

I've been one of those guys wanting an M version. I think this could work. Too bad it's getting bigger.

Edit: Yes, tii, not SS.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

135tii. lightened, lowered, new front air dam and rear valence. new wheels. tii logo in reverse on front bumper.

or a 135M, a'la M635CSi. they can not do an M1 and have it be a saloon. that would be a crime.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd
    I've been one of those guys wanting an M version.
    An M1, eh?
    The only way for them to get that 40 mpg figure is extreme lightness and they don't seem to have done that.
    I did the conversion between the Imp. gallon and the Queeen Anne (US) gallon and that gives a more realistic 33mpg.
    Even that seems hard without trimming down.

Also, make another M1 properly like the old one - midengined and the like.

Where's Ferrer? He should be all over this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Where's Ferrer? He should be all over this thread.
    In the wrong timezone?

In the wrong timezone?
    Yes. For those of us that often don't sleep it can be interesting figuring out when some people will get on. Plus the biases that change with the timezones.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

In the wrong timezone?
    If he's sleeping he should wake up now. Why would he want to miss out now on exciting news of 1-Series awesome-ness?

So...a new 2.L which will be as powerful as the current 3.L which is a powerful as the old 4.L.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

An M1, eh?
    The only way for them to get that 40 mpg figure is extreme lightness and they don't seem to have done that.
    I did the conversion between the Imp. gallon and the Queeen Anne (US) gallon and that gives a more realistic 33mpg.
    Even that seems hard without trimming down.
    I don't find it that impressive, considering the N/A 120i is rated at 5,9l/100km (40mpg US).

As for the car itself, I'm not especially bothered for now, we'll see. Altough it'd be interesting if they applied the weight saving measures to theregular models.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Having seen an E90 next to an E34 the other day, I'd say the current 3 series is about as big as the 5 series of two generations ago.

It's not going to be too long before the current 1 series is about as big as today's 3 series and BMW will need a sub-1 series car.

What will that be called? 1/2 series?

Anyway, I agree, tii or bust.

Thread Information