Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation Viper to get Ferrari/Maserati Based V10?

Next Generation Viper to get Ferrari/Maserati Based V10?

So the rumour according to Car and Driver via Autoblog is that the new Viper could get a version of the Ferrari/Maserati V8 that's been converted to a pushrod V10.

This sounds pretty sweet to me, maybe some pursits will cry foul but I say bring it on! A pushrod Italian derived V10 in a Viper sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    So the rumour according to Car and Driver via Autoblog is that the new Viper could get a version of the Ferrari/Maserati V8 that's been converted to a pushrod V10.

This sounds pretty sweet to me, maybe some pursits will cry foul but I say bring it on! A pushrod Italian derived V10 in a Viper sounds awesome!
    Could be cool. If they do that I hope they drop the weight quite a bit.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

awesome! I like the idea. Hopefully we'll get an angry howl instead of the usual oversized camshaft splutter from the old V10.

My eyes glazed over when I read 'converted to pushrod'.....which also makes the rumor sound like a bad April Fools Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    My eyes glazed over when I read 'converted to pushrod'.....which also makes the rumor sound like a bad April Fools Joke.
    It's a viper, it has to.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    This.

How would you 'convert' a V8 to a V10?? and from DOHC to pushrods?
    Sounds like a new engine to me.. Why create a new one when they already have a pushrod V10? Technology normally goes forward.. not backwards..

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It's a viper, it has to.

If so they need to call it 'Snake Oil', not Viper.

Converting a V8 to a V10 is doable I think - Audi's V10 as I recall is an extension of their V8 - just two added cylinders and it remains a 90 degree angle.

As for the pushrods I don't know enough about engines to know if that makes any sense but it does seem unnecessarily complicated.

Keep in mind, this story is rumour and by the sounds of Dino and Lotus then it's probably BS.

While I like the idea of a V10 being made available to Maserati, converting it to push-rod does seem ridiculous. Why wouldn't they just convert the Hemi if they want to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    While I like the idea of a V10 being made available to Maserati, converting it to push-rod does seem ridiculous. Why wouldn't they just convert the Hemi if they want to do that?
    Would make more sense. I just watched a car show where they converted a LS1 from FI to carbeurated. Seemed like kind of a travesty to me, but they ended up making 490hp so I guess at least they didn't screw up that part.
    Big cities suck

Isn't the Viper famous for that V10 truck engine? Wouldn't this spoil the car a little? Idk...

For Viper money... I wouldn't buy a Viper.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    Isn't the Viper famous for that V10 truck engine? Wouldn't this spoil the car a little? Idk...

For Viper money... I wouldn't buy a Viper.
    I don't know if it would be a real viper anymore, but it doesn't seem like the viper is going to last a whole lot longer as is anyways. I'd definitely buy a viper, as a 3rd or 4th car.
    Big cities suck

I must be pretty dense, because I cannot comprehend where the pushrods and cam would go.

Personally I really don't think it matters how many cylinders or what the valvetrain configuration is. As long as performance, looks, and value compared to competitors is there people will by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    I must be pretty dense, because I cannot comprehend where the pushrods and cam would go.

Personally I really don't think it matters how many cylinders or what the valvetrain configuration is. As long as performance, looks, and value compared to competitors is there people will by them.
    Which is why 911s run any engine they think will work, and the corvette runs a turbo V6, right? No, for many cars the identity of the car is closely tied to the engine configuration it runs.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Which is why 911s run any engine they think will work, and the corvette runs a turbo V6, right? No, for many cars the identity of the car is closely tied to the engine configuration it runs.
    No one cried when chevy dropped the blue flame 6. Viper doesn't exactly have the history of the two you mentioned either.

Thread Information