Thread: BMW M8 Prototype

BMW M8 Prototype

BMW M8 Prototype

Originally envisioned as a Ferrari competitor, only a single prototype BMW M8 was ever produced, equipped with a special 550 bhp (410 kW; 558 PS) version of the S70 engine, essentially a bored out version of the M70 with experimental multi-valve cylinder heads. A common misconception is that this engine powered the McLaren F1. However, when this was suggested to McLaren's designer Gordon Murray, the idea was rejected because the engine was too heavy and long for the McLaren F1. A completely new BMW engine was designed which has a closer resemblance to the later Euro S50B30 BMW M3 engine.

The project was eventually scrapped because BMW decided that there was no market for an M8. The only prototype ever produced (one that was reportedly not even road safe) was locked away by BMW in the company's Giftschrank (poison storage). BMW and the M Division had strongly denied that the car was even a possibility since the initial stages of its development. A world exclusive feature in the February 2010 issue of BMW Car Magazine, however, revealed that the M8 prototype still exists in its entirety. The car was unveiled for the first time in front of journalists on July 2, 2010 at the BMW Museum in Munich.

While the M8 was never produced, it is interesting to note that the 850CSi was also tuned by BMW's M division. Aside from sporting an M-tuned engine (as identified by the S suffix instead of the M prefix that a non-M tuned engine would wear), the car's VIN identifies the car as being built by BMW Motorsport (identified by the WBS prefix) instead of BMW AG (WBA prefix). This effectively identifies the 850CSi as essentially a detuned version of the M8

source : wikipedia

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrARdv3F_0"]Youtube video[/ame]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 05-30-2014 at 02:00 PM.

This would have been a very chic car for the time; quite understated and very powerful.

I quite enjoy spotting an 8 Series on the road. They are a rare treat.

This car may not have made business sense, but if it had been put into production, it may well have been a classic.

that thing is all kinds of hot.

Always loved that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This would have been a very chic car for the time; quite understated and very powerful.

This car may not have made business sense, but if it had been put into production, it may well have been a classic.
    The problem is, it was preceeded by the E24. And the E9 before.

Which makes the 8er feel unnecesarily complicated and pretentious.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

My crazy Russian neighbor has two 8 series. I have no idea how he deals with them.

Thing is, they don't sound like they're kept in great shape- squeaks a lot when it goes over the speed bumps. I would imagine they're hard on upkeep, which explains why I only see them one at a time- the other one is probably there for spare parts.

That engine is a sight to behold in itself, as is the car.

Great car there, but not fully sure why it wasn't put into production, not even as a limited edition or special order.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Nice car.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

The 8-Series was a great car, it's very fondly remembered by the people on here it seems. It's always nice when you do spot one. It's a shame it never really worked. Very underrated car.

I always liked them though the the V12 gave them a much heavier nose than the later, well balanced, V8 engined cars.

I do know of a few M8s that where created with heads off M3s grafted onto the V12 block.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    That engine is a sight to behold in itself, as is the car.

Great car there, but not fully sure why it wasn't put into production, not even as a limited edition or special order.
    It would not have made BMW enough money to produce it unfortunately.

Thread Information