Thread: Audi R18 e-Tron hybrid quattro announced and R18 Ultra for Le Mans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Audi R18 e-Tron hybrid quattro announced and R18 Ultra for Le Mans

Audi has announced the new R18 e-tron quattro, an entirely new form of Le Mans prototype race car. Brimming with new drive technology, the vehicle is the first LMP1 car to incorporate a diesel hybrid powertrain that runs in concert with Audi's e-tron quattro all-wheel drive system.

The operating principle of the R18 e-tron quattro starts with kinetic energy recovery braking system on the front axle which sends electricity into a flywheel accumulator before being sent back down to the electric motors on the front wheels. Energy from the accumulator can only be retrieved under acceleration above 120 km/h (74 mph).

Meanwhile, the V6 TDI power plant producing 510 HP (375 kW) simultaneously transmits power to the rear wheels. The system is operationally similar to Porsche's flywheel KERS system on their 911 GT3 R Hybrid, except it is a mild hybrid which cannot operate on electricity alone and uses a petrol engine in the rear.

For its premiere event in Munich today, head of Audi Motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, drove the new Audi R18 e-tron quattro onto the stage electrically and almost silent.

To compensate for the additional weight of the hybrid system, a new gearbox with a carbon-fiber composite housing, a first for endurance racing, was developed for the R18.

In addition to the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, Audi will also field an R18 Ultra which is identical to the R18 e-tron quattro but without hybrid drive. As a result, the R18 Ultra is the lightest Le Mans prototype that Audi Sport has ever built.

The R18 e-tron quattro will make its race debut at the 6-hour race at Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium) on May 5 and then onto the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans (France) on June 16/17. At Le Mans, Audi Sport Team Joest will field two R18 e-tron quattro and two R18 ultra prototypes.

Read more: Audi R18 e-Tron hybrid quattro announced for Le Mans
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Quattro on the e-tron?? Very, very interested to see how 4WD copes on a prototype. I'd guess it will be very dominant, but we'll see.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by blogs View Post
    sorry,i have no idea .

No Idea of what?

Sounds like a lot of understeer is in the R18s future. Well, maybe not the Ultra.....
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Wow! That's awesome Audi R18 e-Tron hybrid quattro...

Quote Originally Posted by keiper View Post
    I'd guess iwill be very dominant, but we'll see.
    Of course it will. I dont think Toyota's TS030 Hybrid LMP will be as competitve, which is probably the only real challenge for the Audi's
    Last edited by Mugen_Ferio; 03-11-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Thread Information