Thread: Transmission issues

Transmission issues

got another problem with the altima from this thread:http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=32668

this time its the transmission, its automatic for one. theres a problem with the 2nd gear. normally back in the day i could go at around 38mph minimum at 2nd gear, now i can only go 25mph maximum at 2nd gear. so whats the problem? would it be because its outdated, i got around 125000 miles and go uphill and downhill for the past 8 years (don't know if that would make a difference). So whats my problem, and where should i start looking?

Does your Altima have a tachometer (rev counter) and if so does it achieve anywhere near maximum engine revs (redline) at maximum gear-speed?

My knowledge is pretty limited on automatic's but I guess it could be two things. Fluid levels or the "torque converter" (i hope i translated it well). The problem with automatics is, that they are damn hard and expensive to fix

If changing the fluid doesn't solve it then the next cheapest thing to do will be a new gearbox unfortunately.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Does your Altima have a tachometer (rev counter) and if so does it achieve anywhere near maximum engine revs (redline) at maximum gear-speed?
    checked the fluid and it didn't seem to have a problem. and about maxing the engine revs, i did that too and even by doing that the engine has already heated up by quite a margin. so is it time to replace or fix the transmission. or do u think its just a faulty part.

and the thing about not being able to go pass 25mph at 2nd gear, i'm just guessing that its not possible because with the automatic, when it can't use the 2nd gear does it just go back to 1st gear

checked the fluid and it didn't seem to have a problem. and about maxing the engine revs, i did that too and even by doing that the engine has already heated up by quite a margin.
    So is the engine overheating? Are maximum revs attained? It sounds more like an engine problem than gearbox problem. Id get the engine and g/box checked by a mechanic as its hard to diagnose a problem over the net.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

^^no, what i am saying is that i'm forcing too much out of the engine and thats why it was about to overheat. the reason that i have to force all that out from the engine is because the car couldn't shift to the next gear.
    So overall, the problem that i want fixed is the 2nd gear, because it doesn't seem to be able to shift to that when i'm going uphill

Quote Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
    ^^no, what i am saying is that i'm forcing too much out of the engine and thats why it was about to overheat. the reason that i have to force all that out from the engine is because the car couldn't shift to the next gear.
    So overall, the problem that i want fixed is the 2nd gear, because it doesn't seem to be able to shift to that when i'm going uphill
    So if we understand it right, you have problems with UP or DOWN shifting on these hills ?

If you're bordering on overheating just driving the car hard, your cooling system is shot too.

Which may explain both problems if your AT has a watercooled trans cooler.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
    checked the fluid and it didn't seem to have a problem.
    Don't just check it, CHANGE IT. It has a service interval for a reason.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

^^good idea, haven't changed it for awhile, last time i changed it, it got better.
    so i don't think overheating is the biggest problem at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    So if we understand it right, you have problems with UP or DOWN shifting on these hills ?
    and yes, its the shifting, i don't seem to have enough power to get up these hills, unlike when the car was newer

Thread Information