Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive idiot stories...

Just one question @ Matra: which of 3 Matra sports coupes i know (D'jet, Bagheera and Muraena) is best? I once had the opportunity to drive my uncle's Muraena (was nearly my first drive after getting my license), and i found it pretty amazing.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Wow, Charleston SC lawn care brought to you from Gibraltar!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    So much for the local "witness" that told me adults were involved. It was kids from the high school, here's the story link with a vid of the back seat occupant. The 16 year old girl that called shotgun died, driver escaped with minor injuries.
    Survivor: Car hit 110 mph before crash that killed Forest Hill High sophomore
    (The pole has already been replace in time for the accident shown below)
    Not nice. It seems these types of kids need to be given proper education - there's a time and a place for speed, and it's obvious that they couldn't be trusted to determine when it's appropriate.

I do think that many of the speed limits in the 'States are far too low for the road, but then again after observing some of the driving standards, I wouldn't trust the average American driver to control a lawn mower!

Please note the use of the word "average" - this isn't intended to offend/provoke anyone on the forum.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Not nice. It seems these types of kids need to be given proper education - there's a time and a place for speed, and it's obvious that they couldn't be trusted to determine when it's appropriate.

I do think that many of the speed limits in the 'States are far too low for the road, but then again after observing some of the driving standards, I wouldn't trust the average American driver to control a lawn mower!

Please note the use of the word "average" - this isn't intended to offend/provoke anyone on the forum.
    You aren't wrong... the US allows each state to determine driver requirements for a license, and driver training is deplorably inadequate. Instead of a uniform code, most student training has historically been provided by each state's school system. Teachers are often athletic coaches. Worse, with our car culture history and expected freedoms, Americans generally consider driving a right, which of course it isn't.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    You aren't wrong... the US allows each state to determine driver requirements for a license, and driver training is deplorably inadequate. Instead of a uniform code, most student training has historically been provided by each state's school system. Teachers are often athletic coaches. Worse, with our car culture history and expected freedoms, Americans generally consider driving a right, which of course it isn't.
    Funny story for you (I'm trying to find a link to the original story):

An American woman upon visiting Hungary rented a Citroen C4 with a manual gearbox...

...because she didn't know how to drive a manual*, she assumed that once she'd found first gear, she didn't have to do anything else and proceeded to drive the car for something like 120 miles in 1st gear, with the engine bounching off the rev limiter!!!

She only stopped when the plastic covers for the ancillaries melted and the engine caught fire, burning an 18-inch wide hole through the bonnet!!!

* In Europe, everyone MUST pass their driving test in a manual car if they want to be permitted to drive one on the road. If you only take your test in an auto, you can ONLY drive automatics (which make-up less than 5% of the cars on our roads).

That's not indicative of education though. That's just retarded. I'm pretty sure if she had taken a driving test in a manual she still would have found some way to make you facepalm. Possibly even by doing the same thing.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    That's not indicative of education though. That's just retarded. I'm pretty sure if she had taken a driving test in a manual she still would have found some way to make you facepalm. Possibly even by doing the same thing.
    I don't doubt it! If anything it's just proof that society largely panders to these idiots. - Natural selection should have prevented it!

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I don't doubt it! If anything it's just proof that society largely panders to these idiots. - Natural selection should have prevented it!
    Ever seen Idiocracy: Idiocracy (2006) ?

Evolution is now working backwards.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Ever seen Idiocracy: Idiocracy (2006) ?

Evolution is now working backwards.
    I did. I swear I lost IQ points watching that. Don't ask me how I managed to see it. Stupidest movie EVER.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Stupidest movie EVER.
    Point: Missed.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Point: Missed.
    I lol'ed even though I've never seen the film!

Hi Guys ( and girls?) this is my first post but I'm enjoying what I've read so far. My Motoring Moron Moment was while driving thru Sydney a few years ago in a Kenworth + 42 ft trailer I was in right lane of dual carrigeway as I could see left lane blocked by roadworks ahead, carload of meatheads in a V8 commodore raced down my left and tried to beat me to the single lane by cutting in front of me but the driver didnt realise there was a car just in front of my truck!!. After they bounced off the 4WD in front of me they then scraped along my bullbar, and finished up nose down in the roadworks a metre below the road surface. I laughed so hard I cried!!

Hehe, wish I'd been there to see it. People drive like that around trucks with trailers all the time over (up?) here, and I have yet to see them get what they deserve for it. Glad you had a laugh.
    Big cities suck

Moron Moment of the Month

Competing in Scottish Hillclimb in the RX-8.

Know it may seem strange to some readers, but it was a lovely summer day, blue skies and warming sun. Most UNLIKE Scotland

Which, meant the cockpit was an oven. So waiting to do a timed run and I decided that the aircon was a good idea ( compete in "production class" so all goodies included ). Turned it to MIN temp of 15 degrees C and the fan on full. At least I then started to cool down in helmet and full race overals ......

and then move through tyre warming and line up at the lights.

Go green and LAUNCH.

Get to end of the hillclimb ...... and noticed the aircon still running full blast

DOH!

Best excuse for not getting ftd ..... the aircon takes about 10% of the engine power, so I could have been 10% faster and would have gotten a pb !!

or maybe not

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYpGwOIOFo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYpGwOIOFo[/ame]

comment at 1'20" sums it up
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

iirc aircon is good for 3-4%, but at full speed and power, good luck with that
    All windows down is even worst btw, depending on speed of course.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information