Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stig

In all honesty yes, I think he does think this will drum up more business for his stunt driving.

But that'll fade I suggest because most manufacturers already have their own test drivers to sort out their cars, and unless he can endorse a vehicle as "The Stig", his input will be fairly worthless cache wise.

Seeing as the BBC owns "The Stig", I doubt that. I hope the biography makes enough money to counter the loss in wages this dude will have when the BBC axes his ass.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The Stig

There's a lot of money in 'the stig' title to be made. The problem is that for Ben Collins to reveal that he is/was the stig, he has gone from Ben Collins to unknown motoring legend and back to Ben Collins again, albeit with 5 minutes of fame.

BBC is the only one that can cash in on the stig since the fame lies in the mysteriousness and secrecy. Maybe he was tired of the gig. Everyone loves the stig but he was never able to bask in the glory by keeping it a secret. I guess it's time he hung up the reigns and closes that chapter of his life.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

EDIT: British media in general are TRASH publications with poorly educated writers who have to get headlines whichever way they can.
    fixed....

I watch Top Gear for the entertainment value now. No point worrying about any "information" presented on the show since the credibility is doubtful. JC also writes interesting articles, but also, not useful as a reference material, but entertaining read.

I like how they try to put James May as a "smart and knowledgeable one". Since he also spew sheer non-sense most of the time in his supposedly technical talk...

He makes good documentary though, the one about him talking about the space program in US was very good TV...

At anyrate, BBC will probably just find another The Stig. Racing driver who went nowhere with their day job are dime a dozen....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Oh my goodness. They revealed the talented Stig.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    fixed....
    Editing quotes is a bannable offence - SERIOUSLY !!

Worse, still it shows a lack of reading of the "better" publications and press sources in the UK.

eg The Sunday Post - home of The Broons and Orr Wullie. Say anything bad about them and we stuff yer heid up yer ----
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I have always thought the fun was in not knowing. I really don't get the British tabloids' insatiable need to find out who the Stig is.
    Do most Brits enjoy getting the fun sucked and slandered out of everything?
    Oh I know. The whole point of The Stig was that he's portrayed as being mysterious and only semi-human. Knowing who he is simply spoils it. But tabloids are like that, they'll post huge bounties for information such as the Tiger Woods scandal, and gladly ruin people's lives (or in this case, a humerous and long-running joke), because they know they can profit from it. It's disgusting. Of course, the real issue is the people that buy it...
    All about the t-tops

...what its not schumacher?!

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    no, he was not fast enough.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    No, he actually still have a day job...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    no, he was not fast enough.
    ...so mercedes hired him instead .

Top Gear announce a new range of t-shirts.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Top Gear announce a new range of t-shirts.
    lol. Seriously though, I'd buy it.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    The Stig, as we're all now aware, is portrayed by talented wheelman Ben Collins. Stiggie, like the three Top Gear presenters, is beloved by fans around the globe. It's hard to attend a motorsports event without someone claiming to be a fat relative of the white-suited power lap maestro. What would persuade Mr. Collins to give up his clandestine position behind the visor? According to The Daily Mail, it all comes down to money.

Ben Collins' company, Collins AutoSport, has reportedly racked up over $1.5 million dollars in losses over the last five years. He has a wife, three young kids and three other business ventures to support. The other members of Top Gear command handsome sums (rightfully so) and perhaps Collins felt he deserved a larger slice of the BBC cash cake. Removing the helmet allows him to cash in on what's sure to be a substantial number of opportunities. He recently received an advance of close to $400,000 to begin work on his autobiography and there's already talk of a Ben Collins TV Show.

Is breaking the trust of his Top Gear brethren worth the potential financial windfall? In the eyes of many fans, it might not be, yet we imagine Collins' autobiography will be a page-turner. To Collins and his family, however, this bold move might be the fast lap to fiscal freedom.
    Source.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

They mention the wife and kids like they're all starving on his salary. But I'm thinking if his business wasn't losing 1.5 million a year, or if he didn't have it, he might be better able to provide for said wife and kids. How much was he recieving for his services?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

This sounds like a difficult situation for him to be in, but plainly if this is his bank or bust move I've got some bad news for him - I don't think anyone really cares what he has to say.

I, for one, Don't. I just think it's a textbook example of what not to do when your role relies on you wearing a helmet - negotiate for more money, don't kill your chances of making more.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information