Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F12berlinetta 2012-2017

I think it looks a lot like E.T., the Extra Terrestrial.

But I can see how it looks like a uterus too.

Not a fan at all. The silhouette is actually great- it's just the business of the whole design isn't cohesive. And it looks like it's wearing braces too.

Ferrari F12berlinetta

Ferrari F12berlinetta

The first in a new generation of V12 cars unveiled exclusively on Ferrari.com

Maranello, 29th February 2012 – Today’s on-line unveiling of the F12berlinetta ushers in a new generation of Ferrari 12-cylinders in the form of a car that delivers unprecedented performance from an exceptional new engine, combined with innovative design that redefines classic themes along with extreme aerodynamics.

Revealed to the world for the first time on Ferrari.com in preparation for its official debut at the Geneva International Motor Show, the F12berlinetta, finished in an attractive new Rosso Berlinetta three-layer colour, represents the very cutting-edge of mid-front-engined sports cars.

This is, in fact, the most powerful and high-performance Ferrari road car ever launched thanks to the incredibly efficient engine – in terms of mechanical, combustion and fluid-dynamics efficiency – which, together with advanced vehicle architecture, aerodynamics, components and electronic controls, guarantee unsurpassed driving involvement whatever the road or track.

Ferrari’s traditional transaxle layout has been revolutionised to match the more extreme performance of the car. The wheelbase has been shortened and the engine, dashboard and seats have been lowered in the chassis, while the new layout of the rear suspension and gearbox enabled Ferrari’s engineers to make the rear volume of the car smaller. The overall result is a very compact car with a lower centre of gravity that is further back in the chassis, and a level of aerodynamic efficiency that sets new standards.

Scaglietti, renowned for its expertise in aluminium materials and construction, designed an all-new spaceframe chassis and bodyshell using 12 different kinds of alloys, some of which have been used here for the first time in the automotive sector, and employing new assembly and joining techniques. This has resulted in a 20 per cent increase in structural rigidity while reducing weight to just 1525 kg (70 kg less than the previous V12 coupé) with an ideal distribution between the axles (54 per cent over the rear).

The F12berlinetta’s 6262cc 65° V12 engine delivers unprecedented performance and revs for a naturally-aspirated 12-cylinder. Its maximum power output is 740 CV which translates to a specific output of 118 CV/l. Torque reaches a peak of 690 Nm, 80 per cent of which is already available at just 2,500 rpm, and which provides an unrelenting surge of acceleration all the way to the 8,700 rpm limit. The engine is mated to the F1 dual-clutch transmission, which has closer gear ratios developed specifically for this car’s performance. The F12berlinetta boasts a weight-to-power ratio of just 2.1 kg/CV.

Fuel consumption has been reduced by 30%, with CO2 emissions of just 350 g/km – figures which put the F12berlinetta at the top of the high-performance league. These results have been obtained by extensive research and development which focused on efficiencies of the whole vehicle: engine, aerodynamics, tyres and weights.

Similarly excellent results have been obtained with the car’s aerodynamic development, thanks to the integration of the design process with extensive computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations and lengthy testing in the wind tunnel. Downforce has been boosted by 76 per cent (123 kg at 200 km/h) while drag has been significantly reduced (the Cd is just 0.299). These results come courtesy of two new solutions. The first of these is the Aero Bridge which uses the bonnet to generate downforce by channelling air away from the upper part of the car to its flanks where it interacts with the wake from the wheel wells to decrease drag. The second is Active Brake Cooling, a system that opens guide vanes to the brake cooling ducts only at high operating temperatures, again reducing drag.

The F12berlinetta’s impressive technical specifications are completed by Ferrari’s latest generation carbon-ceramic brakes (CCM3) and the evolution of the magnetorheological suspension control system (SCM-E). As is now traditional with all Ferraris, its control systems (E-Diff, ESP Premium, F1-Trac, and high-performance ABS) are all fully integrated.

The result is that the new Prancing Horse 12-cylinder accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 3.1 seconds and from 0 to 200 km/h in 8.5 seconds. It also completes a lap of the Fiorano circuit in 1’23”, faster than any other Ferrari road car. Benchmark performance and maximum driving involvement are guaranteed by immediate turn-in, with smaller steering wheel angles, and increased cornering speed. Stopping distances have also been drastically reduced.

The design of the F12berlinetta is a result of the collaboration between the Ferrari Styling Centre and Pininfarina and is a perfect balance of uncompromising aerodynamics with harmonious proportions interpreting the typical elements of Ferrari’s front-engined V12 cars in an original and innovative way. A coupé with sleek, aggressive lines whose compact exterior dimensions conceal exceptional in-car space and comfort. The all-new Frau leather interior highlights the balance of advanced technology and sophisticated, handcrafted detailing. In the middle of the light and lean dashboard, there are new carbon fibre and aluminium air vents clearly inspired by the aeronautic field.

The cabin has been optimised to ensure maximum usability of the interior space with additional luggage capacity behind the seats, which can also be easily reached thanks to the large aperture offered by the tail-gate. With the cockpit designed around the driver, typical of all Ferraris, the Human Machine Interface approach is emphasised, grouping all the major commands within immediate reach to guarantee maximum ergonomics for the most involving driving experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ferrari F12berlinetta #2

World première for lighter, more powerful California

An all-new range that has cut emissions and fuel consumption by 30 per cent

Geneva, 6th March 2012 – Ferrari is debuting two important new cars at the 82nd Geneva International Motor Show: the F12berlinetta, which ushers in the new generation of Prancing Horse V12s, and the Ferrari California which, thanks to constant development, is seen here as a lighter, more powerful version, also available with the Handling Speciale package.

The world première of the F12berlinetta adds the finishing flourish to an all-new range of 12- and 8-cylinder models that, in the space of just four years, has achieved the objective of offering different Ferraris for different Ferraristi. New models that match ever-increasing power outputs with greater efficiency with the result that fuel consumption and emissions have been reduced by an impressive 30 per cent. A result achieved through in-depth, 360-degree research into all vehicle systems – engine, aerodynamics, tyres, brakes and ancillaries.

Displayed on the stand in two new colours, Rosso Berlinetta and Aluminium, the F12berlinetta is the most powerful and high-performance road-going Ferrari ever. Sporting a new V12 engine, it is built around highly evolved transaxle architecture and features state-of-the-art components and control systems. The F12berlinetta’s aerodynamics have also been honed to the extreme in an innovative design that redefines classic Ferrari themes.

The F12berlinetta’s wheelbase is shorter and its engine, dashboard and seats are lower in the chassis. A new suspension and gearbox layout helps reduce the car’s rear volume. The result is a shorter, lower and narrower car than the previous V12 coupé. The F12berlinetta boasts ideal weight distribution (54% over the rear axle) as well as a lower centre of gravity that is further back in the chassis.

The F12berlinetta’s spaceframe chassis and bodyshell are completely new, and now incorporate no less than 12 different aluminium alloys, some of which have been used for the first time in the automotive sector. New assembly and joining technologies were also adopted in its construction. This has allowed the car’s overall weight to be kept to just 1525 kg and has maximised its performance efficiency with torsional rigidity boosted by 20 per cent.

The new, 200-bar direct-injection 6262cc 65° V12 engine delivers unprecedented performance for a naturally-aspirated 12-cylinder. It punches out a maximum of 740 CV at 8250 rpm, with a specific power output of 118 CV/l and maximum revs of 8700 rpm, record figures for this type of engine. Responsiveness and strong pick-up is guaranteed by maximum torque of 690 Nm, 80 per cent of which is readily available at 2500 rpm.

Exceptional progress has also been made in terms of fuel consumption and emissions which have been cut by 30 per cent - putting the F12berlinetta at the top of the segment with 15/l 100 km and 350 g/km of CO2 respectively.

Aerodynamics play a major role, and a host of innovative solutions have been discreetly integrated in the F12berlinetta’s styling. These include the Aero Bridge which, as a first, uses the bonnet to generate downforce, and Active Brake Cooling, a system that opens guide vanes to the brake cooling ducts only at high operating temperatures. The result of these interventions is that the F12berlinetta has the highest overall aerodynamic efficiency of any Ferrari ever built (a value of 1.2, double that of the 599 GTB Fiorano) with downforce of 123 kg at 200 km/h and a Cd of just 0.299. The fruit of the collaboration between the Ferrari Styling Centre and Pininfarina, the F12berlinetta features harmonious and balanced proportions. It is a truly original, innovative coupé with all of the signature features of an authentic Ferrari 12-cylinder. Clothed in sleek, aggressive lines, it offers superb occupant space and comfort despite its relatively compact dimensions.

The rear is characterised by a modern, functional reinterpretation of the Kamm tail which seamlessly integrates the two vertical fences of the rear diffuser. The resulting, original T-shape also incorporates two full-LED circular tail-lights and the clearly F1-inspired rear fog light.

The F12berlinetta’s technical specifications are completed by the very latest version of the carbon-ceramic braking system (CCM3), a further evolution of the magnetorheological suspension (SCM-E) and the latest development in electronic vehicle control systems (E-diff, ESC, F1-Trac, and high-performance ABS). All controls are integrated in a single, fast-responding CPU featuring new model-specific software.

With a Fiorano lap time of just 1’23’’, 0-100 km/h acceleration in 3.1 seconds and 0-200 km/h in 8.5 seconds, the F12berlinetta is the most high-performance road car in Ferrari history. Over and above sheer performance, however, it stands out for its nimble and responsive handling and unparalleled driving involvement even at lower speeds, a feature normally the reserve of mid-rear-engined cars, whether on the track or on the road.

The car’s Frau leather interior is completely new. It highlights the balance of advanced technology – in the form of the Human-Machine Interface which places all controls within easy reach of the driver – and sophisticated, handcrafted detailing, both of which are intrinsic to Ferrari’s DNA. The cabin has been optimised to ensure maximum usability of the interior space with additional luggage capacity behind the seats, which can also be easily reached thanks to the large aperture offered by the tail-gate. On the dashboard are new, carbon-fibre and light alloy air-vents inspired by the aeronautical sector. There is also an optional passenger display for the passenger-side dash.

The other new arrival at Geneva is the Ferrari California which is not only 30 kg lighter but is also more powerful by 30 CV. The version on display at the Show has a Blu Swaters livery with a Grigio Argento Nürburgring roof and a Sabbia interior. Its engine delivers 490 CV while the Scaglietti Centre of Excellence has applied the most advanced aluminium fabrication techniques to improving the chassis, significantly cutting its overall weight. Performance has been enhanced with the 0-100 km/h sprint now down to 3.8 seconds. Owners wanting a more dynamic driving experience can also opt for the Handling Speciale package which reduces body roll and speeds up the car’s responsiveness to driver inputs. The package includes magnetorheological dampers controlled by an even faster ECU (-50 per cent response time) running patented Ferrari software. Also included are stiffer springs and a new steering box with a 10 per cent quicker steering ratio.

The two other recent additions to the Prancing Horse stable will also be present on the stand: the FF in Bianco Italia livery and the 458 Spider in Giallo Tristrato. The display is completed by a 458 Italia in a sporty two-tone Rosso Corsa and Nero Daytona livery.

The stand also features a special area for clients wishing to make their Ferrari truly unique by availing of the exclusive Tailor-Made programme which offers a selection of materials, colours and finishes that span both the marque’s tradition and history and the very latest trends. The Tailor-Made area will be showcasing an FF with several unusual personalisation features, including a new three-layer Grigio Ingrid livery, pinstripe cloth and Testa di Moro semi-aniline leather seats, cashmere headliner and teak-trimmed boot.

Ferrari F12berlinetta #3

F12berlinetta technical specifications

Engine

• Type - 65deg V12
    • Bore/stroke - 94 x 75.2 mm
    • Total capacity - 6262 cc
    • Compression ratio - 13.5:1
    • Maximum power - 545 kW (740 CV) at 8250 rpm
    • Specific power output - 118 CV/l
    • Maximum torque - 690 Nm at 6000 rpm
    • Maximum revs - 8700 rpm

Dimensions and weight

• Length - 4618 mm
    • Width - 1942 mm
    • Height - 1273 mm
    • Wheelbase - 2720 mm
    • Front track - 1665 mm
    • Rear track - 1618 mm
    • Dry weight* - 1525 kg
    • Kerb weight* - 1630 kg
    • Weight distribution - 46% front, 54% rear
    • Weight/power ratio - 2.1 kg/CV
    • Fuel tank - 92 l

Wheels and tyres

• Front - 255/35 ZR 20 9.5J
    • Rear - 315/35 ZR 20 11.5J
    • Front (winter tyres) - 255/35 ZR 20 9.5J
    • Rear (winter tyres) - 305/35 ZR 20 11.5J

Carbon-ceramic brakes (CCM3)

• Front - 398 x 223 x 38 mm
    • Rear - 360 x 233 x 32 mm

Electronic controls

• ESC - Stability control
    • High-performance ABS/EBD - High-performance anti-lock braking system with electronic brake balance
    • F1-Trac - F1 traction control
    • E-Diff 3 - Third generation electronic differential
    • SCM-E - Magnetorheological damping control with twin solenoids

Gearbox

• F1 dual-clutch 7-speed

Performance

• Top speed - over 340 km/h
    • 0-100 km/h - 3.1 sec
    • 0-200 km/h - 8.5 sec

Consumption and Emissions (ECE + EUDC combined cycle)

• Consumption** - 15l/100 km
    • CO2 emissions** - 350 g/km

*With lightweight options
    **ECE+EUDC with HELE system

Ferrari F12berlinetta #4

Even though it's a Pinninafarina design, the car looks more like it draws from the design language of Vignale.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Sorry for jacking your thread but look at this. A Rendering for a F12XX
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

I really I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here #5

I really I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here #6

Isn't 740bhp like, perhaps, a bit too much power...?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

... and four driven wheels and two transmissions a bit too many?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Yes, Ferraris have gotten too ridicolous...
    Visca Catalunya!

Breathtakingly ugly.

On the topic of Ferrari, I'd have the 458 of the new crop of high end sportscars (12C, LFA, et al). That being said, many have complained about FNA's shittiness.

I would rather grab a new V8 R8 as well as a red/tan stick 355 instead of these new Ferraris.

Hell, there's also the 456, 550/575.

Now I'm rambling, but I liked how Car and Driver ran a letter decrying how expensive the 3 series is compared to previous generations, considering it is an I4. What is funny is you can get the I4 with an 8 speed. Twice as many gears as cylinders! In the US, it used to be the inverse of that!

Which leads us to the Enzo replacement, how in the world can it top the performance of the F12? Maybe if it has KERS it'll have an 80hp boost on the straights, that's about all I can think of.

I don't think Ferrari's are as fragile as they used to be although if you read over on Fchat forums there's still plenty of maintenance to do. A guy who drives a 355 Spider that comes to the local Cars and Coffee was telling me he had a 'major service' done a little over a year ago which was around $6k...and he had just gotten the car back from getting a full rebuild with 40hp added. He obviously loves the car. He also told me that sometimes after you drive and park the heat from the exhaust/engine bay melts the tail light lenses, even with a challenge grille.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    On the topic of Ferrari, I'd have the 458 of the new crop of high end sportscars (12C, LFA, et al). That being said, many have complained about FNA's shittiness.

I would rather grab a new V8 R8 as well as a red/tan stick 355 instead of these new Ferraris.

Hell, there's also the 456, 550/575.
    Let me see if I understood this well. You are fond of the subtlety of the 90's Ferrari yet you prefer the over-designed, full of lines 458 over the discreet MP4-12C?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Now I'm rambling, but I liked how Car and Driver ran a letter decrying how expensive the 3 series is compared to previous generations, considering it is an I4. What is funny is you can get the I4 with an 8 speed. Twice as many gears as cylinders! In the US, it used to be the inverse of that!
    Yes, that's what emission regulations and fuel economy goals cause...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information