Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My drift car

My drift car

MY car... haven't been on here for a while, but i better put up the new drift machine.

SPECS:

Running Gear

4age - bigport from JDM 86
    TRD copy extractors
    2" exhaust
    Microtech MTX-8 Ecu
    Standard gearbox
    S-series rear end with welded centre
    wiring in engine bay hidden

Body
    Resprayed in SS commodore silver
    15x7 work wheels
    Garden Edging front lip

Suspension and brakes

Standard apart from cut springs in the rear... sitting on bump stops... nice n stiff!!
    short stroke rear shocks
    Standard brakes

Other Stuff I've still got to fit
    Surge tank with pre pump
    Quad throttle bodies
    carpet and other random interior bits
    fog lights instead of grille
    T-18 rear end and TRD 2-way LSD
    Paint boot floor.
    Suspension - Coilovers, control arms, cambertops etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hachi Roku Owner.

Very nice car. It's becoming even more appreciated now, after 20 years, then it was in it's day. I've been witnessing a colective madness around it here in Portugal.
    You have a very good LSD.

Before people come around questioning you, it's better to do the egg-nog ownership proof. I guess you know it works: stab a piece of paper with your username on the gear lever and take a photo.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

go the Hachi!

big fan of the Hachi Roku man! Do get on any of the drift forums in Aus? ive seen some awesome things from 86's and yours looks well on its way
    The Datto will rage again...

Cool car!! I like the plates.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Am I missing something, thats a Corrolla isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Yes, it is a blank canvas. It is what's on it and what's in it.

If you picked something powerful you'd be half-way there already and so you wouldn't need to spend all that money?

drifitng isn't all about using power to get the tail out the AE86 is supposed to have excellent balance and great handling at the limit
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

curse you! an AE86 Trueno is my favorite car. Anyway, i like your Levin
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    curse you! an AE86 Trueno is my favorite car. Anyway, i like your Levin
    What's the difference between Trueno and Levin?

cosmetic differences.

Trueno is typically more popular due to initial D, pop up headlights on the Trueno vs fixed on the Levin is really all it is.

Trueno

Levin
    The Datto will rage again...

By your comments I'd say you're missing the all car scene. This car is legendary and, apart from an LSD, you don't need to ad anything to make it one of the most enjoyable drives you can afford. It's a well balanced car, very light, sounds great, good handling and good looks (for those who can see beyond the make and model name). There are awfull looking cars wich are excellent drives, but you have to put you prejudice away. For example the Alfa 75's are being sold for peanuts today, and yet it's a very nice drive. Most people see them as just a boxy Alfa.
    The Toyota has one of the qualities that made cars like the MX-5 so appreciated worldwide: even at low speeds you can get your tail out and keep it there, with only 125bhp. And that engine is highly tunable. Some experts compare it to the Cosworth BDA, but with more reliability.

If you picked something powerful you'd be half-way there already and so you wouldn't need to spend all that money?
    The problem with most of you is judging cars by the spec sheet. A more powerfull car is not necessarily more fun. I prefer driving my car than, for example, an SLK 230 Kompressor and I doubt that someone with driving experience has a different opinion. And more important, how much does it cost that "something powerful"? And how much do you think it costs to make a very fast Corolla AE86? They're relatively cheap cars.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Sadly their getting dearer now, they make a great circuit car, hey mex should go the turbo route
    Here's a good site for info about all things Toyota

http://www.toymods.net/forums/
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Did these things ever make it over to the UK? I've looked quite a few times and hardly ever spotted one. There's a couple on pistonheads, but I've never seen them advertised anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    By your comments I'd say you're missing the all car scene. This car is legendary and, apart from an LSD, you don't need to ad anything to make it one of the most enjoyable drives you can afford. It's a well balanced car, very light, sounds great, good handling and good looks (for those who can see beyond the make and model name). There are awfull looking cars wich are excellent drives, but you have to put you prejudice away. For example the Alfa 75's are being sold for peanuts today, and yet it's a very nice drive. Most people see them as just a boxy Alfa.
    The Toyota has one of the qualities that made cars like the MX-5 so appreciated worldwide: even at low speeds you can get your tail out and keep it there, with only 125bhp. And that engine is highly tunable. Some experts compare it to the Cosworth BDA, but with more reliability.
    True, the AE86 cars are more than just a blank canvas and their mods. They are nicely balanced, well-built, simple yet capable little cars. The mods don't hurt though, as a capable car can always handle a little more power.

The problem with most of you is judging cars by the spec sheet. A more powerfull car is not necessarily more fun. I prefer driving my car than, for example, an SLK 230 Kompressor and I doubt that someone with driving experience has a different opinion. And more important, how much does it cost that "something powerful"? And how much do you think it costs to make a very fast Corolla AE86? They're relatively cheap cars.
    Though I agree with you in that a "fun" car is preferable simply a powerful one, it the best of both worlds that are real jewels. MX-5s are great but I'd trade for a little less communicable chassis for a little more power. Say, S2000, not nearly as much of throw-about but it can really run with cars of a serious nature. And I say this after admittedly having a soft spot for the Miata.

Thread Information