Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite "Loser Cars"

What are your favourite "Loser Cars"

and with loser cars i don't mean rusty hondas driven by losers who can't afford better stuff , i mean cars that are somekind of, say "missunderstood"

i'll give you my favourites so you know better what i mean:

1) '76-'89 aston martin lagonda
    2) '80-'95 ferrari mondial coupe
    3) '01-'03 renault avantime
    4) '77-'81 Volvo 262C
    5) '88-'92 maserati karif
    6) '57-'60 (ford) edsel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (167.4 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (53.2 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.5 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (73.0 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (42.1 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (50.4 KB, 3 views)
    Last edited by Mäusekino; 05-17-2007 at 02:34 AM.

I think you mean "Loser", not "Looser".

Shall I edit the title accordingly?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I think you mean "Loser", not "Looser".

Shall I edit the title accordingly?
    yes, you're right, thank you, would be nice

Volvos in general i think are underestimated and misunderstood by younger people. I think most people associate them with old people who drive slow but they're nice cars and the sportier models are decently quick. I didn't overcome the stereotype until my parents bought one for me.

No worries.

And my nomination would be for the Caterham 21. Basically a Seven chassis and mechanicals but with a proper body and interior; what's not to like? Sadly it came out at the same time as the original Lotus Elise and bombed spectacularly in terms of sales, despite actually being quite good. Only 48 cars were ever sold.

Honourable mention goes to the Bugatti EB110. Brilliant car, but kinda ahead of its time in terms of the whole "everyday supercar" concept. It did exactly what the Lambo Murcielago does, but did it 10 years earlier. Then when the recession kicked in and the bottom fell out of the supercar market it all went tits-up for the Bugatti, among others. Ho-hum

Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 05-15-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Added pics
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

In my opinion it has to be the Lancia Thesis. It's probably the most underrated executive saloon in the market now, and yet it's a very competent car, as good as the class leaders. Even a Mercedes-Benz PR person said that if Lancia had promoted it properly they'd have considered a serious rival.

Honourable mention goes to the Lancia Kappa Coupe.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alfa Romeo GT. (the current model, said to have been inspired by the Bertone )
    Rover P6
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Ford Pinto (and Mercury Bobcat) - It has a bad reputation today, especially because of the whole exploding after rear-end collisions thing, but it was innovative and sold pretty well in its day.

I also like the Edsel.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

The Honda Legend. Its not a sports car, its a misunderstood cruiser. If it had a manual option I'm sure it would be the car to have for all would be drifters.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Which generation Honda Legend?

For me, Honda Accord. There's nothing wrong with an Accord. It's a family car. The Accord Euro R (the old one) was hot.

saabs are some of my favourites

The Honda legend has, for the most part, been FWD it's whole existence

Misunderstood cars include Saab 9000's and Volvo 240's/760's.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    For me, Honda Accord. There's nothing wrong with an Accord. It's a family car. The Accord Euro R (the old one) was hot.
    They sold more than 3. It can't be a "loser car".
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

will be good idea some kind of pics... cuz most of them i dont even know... :S

Let's see, what makes a loser car? I don't think just low sales volume alone, a car like that can still be a winner, and many cars sold well but were definitely "loser-ish". I made my picks based on cars that were or are now misunderstood or considered to be the worst of their kind or not just not the best, but that I really like for some reason. I also genuinely like all of these cars so if I offend anyone by including them I apologize in advance. Here they are, and I used the attachments so as not to clog the site with pics.

1. The Porsche 968, and while we're at it the 944/951 and 924. Too often sullied by the misinformed regarding a mixed design and manufacture heritage with Audi, they were and are great cars and very Porsche. Wish I had one, well at least a 951 but I'd love a 968 coupe with a 6-speed.

2. The Fiat Barchetta. Only a loser because it was never sold in the states but should have been. Just cool in my book and a bit sharper than a Miata, and definitley better looking than the more contemporary MGF, which I have always thought was a bit of a dog.

3. The Fiat X1/9. Probably my favorite on this list. Seen as a hairdresser's car, but such a great design for its time and still pretty cool looking. Mimicked by the Fiero and the Toyota MR2, it was ahead of its time. Probably the top car on my list that I would love to own and drive if no one would see me driving it.

4. The Ford Maverick. Briefly offered with 302 c.i. power, I always wanted one as a teenager. It had cool looks and sort of had a Mustang jr. quality about it. Generally jeered and not taken seriously as a contender for anything really.

5. The Lancia Scorpion. Its interesting that no one want a baby Ferrari, they want the real thing or nothing else. Meanwhile those that can't afford a Ferrari but want the closest thing they can get and actually get it, get dissed for not having the real thing, even though they are having tons of fun in the baby Ferrari while those holding outf or the real deal will likely never have it and drive aorund in whatever they drive around in while they save their money for the Ferrari they will never buy. I've never understood it.

6. Now to the actual Ferrari. The 412. A front engine 4 seater. Looks great if you asked me. I've never seen one in person, and don't know who would actually buy one today, but they have my respect. Enough said.

7. Lastly, the BMW 850 or 840. Great looking and a great cruiser. totally crazy expensive when released. Pretty cheap to buy now but the maintenance is a killer, or so I've heard. Never caught on and uncommon to see today and it quietly disappeared. No room for more pics-maybe I'll post again but you all probably know this car.

So there's my list of lovable losers I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mattmacklind; 05-15-2007 at 11:30 PM.

Thread Information