Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Expects Its First Loss in 70 Years

Toyota Expects Its First Loss in 70 Years

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/bu.../23toyota.html
    TOKYO — Toyota Motor, the Japanese auto giant, said Monday that it expected its first operating loss in 70 years, underscoring how the economic crisis was spreading across the global auto industry.
    On Monday, Toyota said it expected an operating loss in its auto operations of 150 billion yen, or $1.7 billion, for the fiscal year ending March 31. That would be the company’s first annual operating loss since 1938, a year after the company was founded, and a huge reversal from the 2.3 trillion yen, or $28 billion, in operating profit earned last year.
    This is not altogether surprising, but it shows that even the stronger manufacturers are suffering.
    This also does not bode well for Toyota's continued involvement in F1.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Not surprising to hear really, I think its amazing this is their first expected loss since their first operational year.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

As if everything else wasn't enough this is a sign this crisis is going to be big.

Properly big.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Not surprising to hear really, I think its amazing this is their first expected loss since their first operational year.
    It's incredible how effecient they are.
    I think the Big Three need to take some of the managers and corporate officers from the Japanese. Their system obviously works quite well.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

less greed
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

maybe they can stop production too, like chrysler.

*and never restart production ever again
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It's incredible how effecient they are.
    I think the Big Three need to take some of the managers and corporate officers from the Japanese. Their system obviously works quite well.
    Their "system" is pretty obvious, no union leeches, they negotiated well for their contracts, resulting in cheaper raw materials, trickling down to cheaper cars that haven't been deliberately engineered to fall apart within 10 years so that you buy a new one, combined with better initial quality for the price. Surprisingly, when your cars stay together longer, it helps new cars sales also, not just resale.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Japanese industry has for many decades delegated responsibility down to the manufacturing teams. THey look after quality -- not some QA bod at the end of the line
    Clear objectives, shared responsibility, dedication to doing a better job and aboce all a belief in what you do and where you work and with whom.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

(what toyota said to a friend of mines when he was working there this year in the summer)

may: we need cars, everyone does 10 hour mandatory overtime until christmas
    august: uhhh something bad is going to happen, everyone needs to take a mandatory 2 week unpaid vac until christmas.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Lets hope this isn't the start of a trend.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well, it looks like asia is feeling this one pretty hard, and europe is starting the bailouts, so I guess it's obvous this isn't just an american thing now.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Hmm... Honda pull out of F1, Suzuki pull out of rallying, Subaru pull out of rallying (still can't believe that one!) all within the space of a couple of weeks, and now Toyota makes it's first loss in 70 years. 70 friggin years of profitability! The fact that they've managed to remain profitable through a World War and all the other global catastrophes since then really puts thing into perspective, as if all the multi-billion dollar bail outs hadn't.

May the happy days return sooner rather than later!

Quote Originally Posted by gondayi View Post
    Hmm... Honda pull out of F1, Suzuki pull out of rallying, Subaru pull out of rallying (still can't believe that one!) all within the space of a couple of weeks, and now Toyota makes it's first loss in 70 years. 70 friggin years of profitability! The fact that they've managed to remain profitable through a World War and all the other global catastrophes since then really puts thing into perspective, as if all the multi-billion dollar bail outs hadn't.

May the happy days return sooner rather than later!
    I think almost all car companies are feeling this due to the present economy...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

The 2000's are going to be looked at as a crappy decade in American history. Terrorist attacks, George Bush, failing economy, and this whole gasoline issue if it unfolds anymore. I have a feeling 2010-2019 are going to be great though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Well to be honest much of the world was due a downturn.

You can't keep on winning forever.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information