Thread: Wing mirrors ?

Wing mirrors ?

I know that this is a bit of a strange thing to ask, but why are these wing mirrors soo far back ?

Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

could it be so that the dirt/dust that the front wheels kick up dont obscure what he can see?
    The Datto will rage again...

You dont really need to check whats behind u in a Rally car?

Coz the driver is set WELL back in the Focus. His head is in line with the door pillar.

Then we get simple physics and reflection laws.
    To see as much as you can behind, you want a miror as close to your eyes as possible. That gives you the largest field of view. So getting it further back lets them keep the mirror small and maxmiise rear visibility.

Critical in a modern rally car as you CANNOT turn your head to see ANYTHING. So if you do get into a nasty situation and have to reverse back up an exit road or do a 3-point turn you ONLY have the mirrors to see with. So getting large field of view takes precedence over it looking liek the street car

Now, how long do you think it will be before the burberry cap crowd start fitting them to their Focii ? sad
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Focii
    haha :d nice how u used the latin in it...
    :d:d if there was still rep id give u

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    haha :d nice how u used the latin in it...
    :d:d if there was still rep id give u

part of his signature used to be: Part time Latin teacher on UCP
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Coz the driver is set WELL back in the Focus. His head is in line with the door pillar.

Then we get simple physics and reflection laws.
    To see as much as you can behind, you want a miror as close to your eyes as possible. That gives you the largest field of view. So getting it further back lets them keep the mirror small and maxmiise rear visibility.

Critical in a modern rally car as you CANNOT turn your head to see ANYTHING. So if you do get into a nasty situation and have to reverse back up an exit road or do a 3-point turn you ONLY have the mirrors to see with. So getting large field of view takes precedence over it looking liek the street car

Now, how long do you think it will be before the burberry cap crowd start fitting them to their Focii ? sad

OK, so if the focus drivers sit so far back then why are the mirrors here an this car then ?

I take it its just different events different car setups ?

Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    OK, so if the focus drivers sit so far back then why are the mirrors here an this car then ?

I take it its just different events different car setups ?
    I suspect it's lessons learned
    Those mounted farther back came later ??
    I'm not sure where the WRC regs stand with that, so they may be asked to move them back.

The limited rear view in a top rally seat in full helmet is VERY restricted.
    They may have learned by bitter experience when they had to reverse, or maybe an engineer came up with it and proposed it as 'better'. Guess we won't know for sure untill M-Sport come out and tell us
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

BTW, if you want to add a mirror to a Focus in Latin (and plural) it can be considered as a movement, which would mean 4th case, plural, and 4th declination so that is simply Focus (How romans would pronounce it is another matter), Focii is probably wrong.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

why dont you just dont use latin.
    I dont have a clue how to read it, same with most other members.

Quote Originally Posted by UK CARS
    why dont you just dont use latin.
    I dont have a clue how to read it, same with most other members.
    The problem is: Focus is Latin, so Ford started it

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The problem is: Focus is Latin, so Ford started it
    haha!

the first pic seems to be cameras to me. If it were mirrors. Why would it be dangling from that tiny piece of steel?

because it saves weight
    Hachi Roku Owner.

Thread Information