Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Porsche Panamera

I've seen the final pictures of the Panamera and I immediately threw-up.

Here is a quite positive review of the car. Pay attention to the closing statement.

Porsche has made what may well be the best luxury sport sedan - and it sounds like it's sport first, luxury second - a real drivers car for the rich businessperson.

I've read the review. I didn't expect anything different though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Porsche has made what may well be the best luxury sport sedan - and it sounds like it's sport first, luxury second - a real drivers car for the rich businessperson.
    No, that's the Maserati Quattroporte. And if you think it may be a tad unreliable or expensive there's always the Jag XJ.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I've read the review. I didn't expect anything different though.

No, that's the Maserati Quattroporte. And if you think it may be a tad unreliable or expensive there's always the Jag XJ.
    But are the QP and XJ as much of a d rivers car as the Panamera?

As I said, sport first, luxury second, can the same be true of the other two? Maybe the Quattroporte, but certainly not the XJ.

Rather comically, this review of the Panamera seems to be the first I've seen on the web - giving an exclusive first drive to a blog over magazines. Maybe the German magazines had first crack at it though. Has anyone else seen a Panamera review yet?

But are the QP and XJ as much of a d rivers car as the Panamera?

As I said, sport first, luxury second, can the same be true of the other two? Maybe the Quattroporte, but certainly not the XJ.

Rather comically, this review of the Panamera seems to be the first I've seen on the web - giving an exclusive first drive to a blog over magazines. Maybe the German magazines had first crack at it though. Has anyone else seen a Panamera review yet?
    If the XF is anything to go by the XJ is a good drivers car. The XF is fantastic sports saloon. The XJ is also lighter thanks to the aluminium structure. And anyway the XJ is about to get replaced, so the new one may be even better.

On the other hand, more sporty than an italian four door supercar with great V8 under the bonnet? I don't care how excellent the Panamera is, but suggesting that a Maserati might not be as sporty as it is a bit of a blasphemy.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    i honestly would drive that car. BUT! the 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S will always be one of my favorite cars around.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

printing time anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If the XF is anything to go by the XJ is a good drivers car. The XF is fantastic sports saloon. The XJ is also lighter thanks to the aluminium structure. And anyway the XJ is about to get replaced, so the new one may be even better.

On the other hand, more sporty than an italian four door supercar with great V8 under the bonnet? I don't care how excellent the Panamera is, but suggesting that a Maserati might not be as sporty as it is a bit of a blasphemy.
    I remember the ruin (sort of) of the EB110 was to have been designed as if it was a German supercar, not an Italian one.

I was expecting exactly this from the PanAm, to be fast, precise, comfortable, practical, luxurious all at the same time.
    Don't care as far as it isn't exciting me, it's not my cup of tea and probably won't be for a long long time. It's not only about the style, it being a Porsche, or being too heavy and such. It's everything at the same time, which is something I don't want.
    I want a small e cheap car to be easy on fuel, safe on the highway and spacious for the groceries.
    This isn't a silly SUV without an heavy load of bhp, but when I see a Quattroporte or even an XJ, as Ferrer suggested correctly, I think that guy/man/grandpa is the cool one I'd like to know.
    When I see a Continental GT I think that's another rich brat I'd like to talk to to suggest a few better way to spend 200.000 €.
    Not that the Continental GT is a completely wrong car, I even used to like it a while ago.
    This isn't different from a Continental GT.
    If it was equally designed but sold as a...Alfa Romeo even with a total back from Ferrari, it would have sold an infinitesimal part of the PanAm we are going to see.
    It doesn't really matter how fast or good this car is, it's not wahy people will buy it. The Continental GT is a good cruiser, it's fast, it's luxurious and even stylish, but it's only purchased because it's a Bentley but costs less than half then other Bentleys. This is a Porsche, it wasn't obvious it would have been a good car as it wasn't obvious with the Cayenne. Still people gone mad with the Cayenne even before it was clear that it was a good performer (being a 3 tons panzer).
    It's like the Mini. We all know how good a Cooper S can be. We also know people usually buy it because it's the most expensive and therefore cool Mini in the dealership's floor.
    A guy enter the Porsche dealer looking for the ultimate toy to show off. Here it is the new toy.
    I'm sure there will be real enthusiasts buying this car, some of them perhaps will even give them a ride or two on a track, as it happened to see Drakkie on the 'Ring with the Alto though.
    The purpose of this car is enlarging Porsche's portfolio of clients, and doing it efficiently so that it won't be a pain in the ass with reliability, customer's satisfaction and so on. But it isn't conquering me.
    I know Maserati as well isn't trying to gift me a QP anytime soon, but when they designed that car, but while the Qp is just another product from a car maker done to raise money, it's done with a peculiar style and attitude.
    Well, maybe the PanAm has a style and an attitude as well, just the wrong one, if they were trying to excite me.
    What's the problem?! I don't even have 100.000 € so why bothering listening to me...

Props to them if they succeeded doing what they aimed to, but I'd personally had done a lot of different things with all those money.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Well said.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Well, maybe the PanAm has a style and an attitude as well, just the wrong one, if they were trying to excite me.
    yes, i think porsche's style and attitude works for sportscars/supercars, in which some sensibility and efficiency is welcome (and they also have that shape to fall back on)
    however in the sedan market, when most other makers offer the same.. it's not different enough. it's too german.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Let's not forget that the turbo version does 188mph. I can only dream...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJT View Post
    ...and so what?
    it could even do 300 mph, but I can't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJT View Post
    and the Continental Flying Spur can do 198, doesn't really mean it is relevant.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

This car also targets some of Chinese, who have a heap of money...

According to an report issued by Porsches, we brought over 3500 Cayenne in last 3 years, and sales of Porsche in China had double last year....Porsche saw market potential of China, thats why Panamera made its first debut in ShangHai....and now Porsche really need some fortunate, if Panamera is doing well in some crucial markets, it could help Porsche to overcome its current financial challenge.

A Chinese car dealer told me that they sold 17 of Panamera in just one day, each cost 240k US dollars(Turbo price $380k)...

As to car, i think its a brillant car in terms of engineering, but weak in styling....

Quote Originally Posted by Macross Rs View Post
    This car also targets some of Chinese, who have a heap of money...

According to an report issued by Porsches, we brought over 3500 Cayenne in last 3 years, and sales of Porsche in China had double last year....Porsche saw market potential of China, thats why Panamera made its first debut in ShangHai....and now Porsche really need some fortunate, if Panamera is doing well in some crucial markets, it could help Porsche to overcome its current financial challenge.

A Chinese car dealer told me that they sold 17 of Panamera in just one day, each cost 240k US dollars(Turbo price $380k)...

As to car, i think its a brillant car in terms of engineering, but weak in styling....
    it's somehow easy to double your sales when you sold so few cars with so many potential buyers.
    Still I couldn't agree more, and welcome on UCP .

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    my description of this car:
    - human Barbie Doll car
    - human Barbie Doll soccer mom car
    - prissy looking car
    - what Porsche shouldn't be doing.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information