Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Maserati is hideous

The new Maserati is hideous

I've been trying to find something stylistically exciting about this car, but I simply can't. The hood bulge is lame. The front end looks like someone used the photoshop "pinch" filter on it. The rear lines of the roof are too abrupt. It looks decent from the rear upper 3/4s view but that's about it. The rear end is not terrible but seems uninspired for what's supposed to be a daring Maserati.

The grille makes the car look like a dustbuster. The whole fascia looks like one of those rice-boy headlamp conversions gone wrong.

If you put a different badge on the front everyone would agree with me. People only think it looks good because it's a Maserati. I can't get over the front. It looks awful. Among the worst production-bound Pininfarina designs of all time.

Rant over.

Edit: The front looks a bit like the SSC Aero. In a bad way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-08-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog View Post
    If you put a different badge on the front everyone would agree with me. People only think it looks good because it's a Maserati.
    I 100% agree. When I first saw pictures of it, I was shocked what they had done with the styling. I recently looked at the pictures again in detail and reached the conclusion is what I like about it is what I associate the badge with and with my assumption that it's a good car. I can't decide whether it's sad or funny that even Korean brands have done a better job.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I 100% agree. When I first saw pictures of it, I was shocked what they had done with the styling. I recently looked at the pictures again in detail and reached the conclusion is what I like about it is what I associate the badge with and with my assumption that it's a good car. I can't decide whether it's sad or funny that even Korean brands have done a better job.
    That's awesome that you can actually come out and say that. It seems like style should always be taken at face value so as to avoid bias.

That's awesome that you can actually come out and say that. It seems like style should always be taken at face value so as to avoid bias.
    i actualy love the design...
    the front looks realy agressive ..its a lot of improvment from the coupe..
    i know its not the same car but it looks a lot cleaner and more appealing to look at

Am i the only one that likes it ?

Edit:
    It seems not !

I've been trying to find something stylistically exciting about this car, but I simply can't. The hood bulge is lame. The front end looks like someone used the photoshop "pinch" filter on it. The rear lines of the roof are too abrupt. It looks decent from the rear upper 3/4s view but that's about it. The rear end is not terrible but seems uninspired for what's supposed to be a daring Maserati.

The grille makes the car look like a dustbuster. The whole fascia looks like one of those rice-boy headlamp conversions gone wrong.

If you put a different badge on the front everyone would agree with me. People only think it looks good because it's a Maserati. I can't get over the front. It looks awful. Among the worst production-bound Pininfarina designs of all time.

Rant over.

Edit: The front looks a bit like the SSC Aero. In a bad way.
    I mainly agree. The Coupe wasn't perfect but next to this...

To me it looks like a Lexus LF-A. And that's not a compliment.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I too mentioned that it looked very Lexy from the front, the conservative styling is far from what it should've been.

To sum it up, it's good and well accepted because it's a Maserati, it's ugly too because it's a Maserati. It would've looked great if it were Mazda RX10 or Toyota Supra 500000 or Honda S3000 ..... well, you know what i mean.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Wrong. This car is sexy. It's got elements of the birdcage, and of traditional Maserati coupes, which is a hard thing to screw up.

Most of the car I do like, however I think that both the front as the rear lights are just plain ugly... The front look like some rice and the rear lights were stolen from a Ford Mondeo or something.

But still I think it's one cool piece of machinery.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

People only think it looks good because it's a Maserati.
    Edit:
    I am afraid this is the case with most italian cars. Sure a lot of them do look good but italian design is just a bit overrated lately, every time a new italian car comes out almost everyone seems to find it beautifull and great and then call german cars boring.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_20v View Post
    I am afraid this is the case with most italian cars. Sure a lot of them do look good but italian design is just a bit overrated lately, every time a new italian car comes out almost everyone seems to find it beautifull and great and then call german cars boring.
    Well most german cars are dull and/or plain ugly. And most italian cars are beautiful and/or stunning (even if this is not the case here).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    To sum it up, it's good and well accepted because it's a Maserati, it's ugly too because it's a Maserati. It would've looked great if it were Mazda RX10 or Toyota Supra 500000 or Honda S3000 ..... well, you know what i mean.
    Yes and no. I would be very disappointed if a new Honda S2000 (which was the first car that came in mind when I saw pictures of the front), Supra or RX* would look like this.

But you do have a point, if on the other hand a Chinese company would have designed this most people would look at it from a different light and a debate about its looks would most likely not arise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Wrong. This car is sexy. It's got elements of the birdcage, and of traditional Maserati coupes, which is a hard thing to screw up.
    Apparently they did. I love the birdcage but I just don't see it in this.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

it looks better than the old one, so the fact that its gotten rid of its 'golfer' style looks this more radical approach is good.

I think it's a great looking car, regardless of the badge.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

i think the car is okay... not ugly.. but definitely not as good looking as it should've been.. it's just kinda plain imho..

Thread Information