Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about changing political parties...

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    A.K.A "Ask a stupid question..."
    Get a snide answer from Coventry... come to think of it that happens any time anyone asks anything. What do you do here?

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    Get a snide answer from Coventry... come to think of it that happens any time anyone asks anything. What do you do here?
    Sorry for ruing your site. Didn't know we needed to conform to the Bruxell code of conduct.

Won't post again ever.

Sorry for taking up yo
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    what a system....we can just vote for the party/person we want to, without having any prior registration or what so ever....
    It depends on the state. In North Carolina and Georgia where I spend a lot of time you don't have to be affiliated with any party. you just go to the polls and choose the party and candidate you want to vote for in the primaries. I voted for Ron Paul as well

...then sit atop a mountain considering the sheer futility of life in the face of the unimaginable infinity of the universe.
    This should do YouTube - Monty python - universe song
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Sorry for ruing your site. Didn't know we needed to conform to the Bruxell code of conduct.

Won't post again ever.

Sorry for taking up yo
    You should try to be nice to someone at least once. You'll see, it's not so hard, and it's a nice feeling.

Back on topic, stay Republican. As aiasib best said:
    so be the change you want to see in the republican party
    It's nothing but the truth.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Won't post again ever.

Sorry for taking up yo

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but honestly, if you don't have anything good to say, just, y'know, chill-(groans)ax a bit.

Note- yes, I do know you're a moderator.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

We can vote for whomever we choose. The registration is for party primaries, which are held first to decide party nominees. You should do some reading-up on the things you criticize...
    that is why I asked the question about actually becoming a member of a party...which would give you a voting right and which would take away the necessity for these age long primaries....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    What would you do if you were me?
    Should people that need to ask who they should be voting for be allowed to vote?

Sell all your worldly possessions and donate the proceeds to a Burmese aid campaign, then sit atop a mountain considering the sheer futility of life in the face of the unimaginable infinity of the universe.

A.K.A "Ask a stupid question..."
    What would we do if we were you rooster? We don't know because we don't see things from your view.. for example I didn't know democracy is evil. We can provide you with information and what we'd do but still were not you and in the end your the one making the decision.. And thats why i think its a potentially pointless question.

We can vote for whomever we choose. The registration is for party primaries, which are held first to decide party nominees. You should do some reading-up on the things you criticize...
    Henk was going by the information provided, he doesn't live there and therefore clearly doesn't fully know how it works. He was just comparing his political structure to how rooster portrayed his.

I think your being a little bit of a hypocrite, replying in a "snide" manner wont help anything..
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 05-15-2008 at 12:19 AM.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Libertarian sounds good to me too...I was a yellow dog Republican in CA, but in CA the whole table is tipped left, and a republican is a pretty moderate politician.

Here in TX, though, it's really hard for me to pull the trigger for republicans. The ones here are too beholden to the whole pro-life and anti-gay thing. So, I had to distill my politics down to the essence of what I believe.

I am fiscally conservative. Small government = good. Also means they would be potentially more responsive and of course lower taxes, as well as butting out of our lives on a day to day basis.

Socially I am pretty liberal. As above, I am pro-choice, pro gay rights, etc.

OK, so maybe I'm a Southern Democrat, I thought. They're pretty close to a CA republican, no? But the monkey wrench in that machine is that they're as hellbent on regulation as your average Democrat - not my thing.

That's about when I realized, I'm not socially liberal, I'm socially libertarian . I don't like any of the presidential candidates at all, so I'm thinking pretty hard about possibly going libertarian myself. I don't agree with the libertarian party line that even police and roads should be privatized, but I am far more in line with their view of the world than with either the Democrats' or Republicans' party lines.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

i dont really understand your political system or anything but

if you´re saying that these people you supported talked the "true conservative talk" but when they did get to office they didnt actually walk the "true" conservative walk whats the problem? just run for office with your party where you are known, while on campaign claim youre a communist if that´s what voters want to hear to give you their vote -and once you´re there do whatever you think is the right thing. i don´t know how things work over there, but you probably shouldnt jump ship until knowing if every republican out there is going democrat or not-if they all are, couldn´t that be good for your running for office? as in less rivals for the candidacy you want ? or who knows maybe all that youve done for your party , weakened by a possible presidential election defeat, could prove interesting to the democrats who can offer you said candidacy quicker?

all im saying is be practical and above all whatever you do,in politics timing is everything.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

that is why I asked the question about actually becoming a member of a party...which would give you a voting right and which would take away the necessity for these age long primaries....
    Ok, when you register, you are a member of that party. You vote in primary elections to determine the nominee within the party so that the person running in the general election is the one who represents the views of the majority.

Maybe I'm not understanding your misunderstanding?

Ok then. I was just going to suggest that you try to be nice for once. I agree with a lot of what you have to say actually, but I can't remember ever seeing a post from you that wasn't obviously meant to smack down an opinion. Your posts convey a lot of contempt, and that last one more than most. The person asked a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I think your being a little bit of a hypocrite, replying in a "snide" manner wont help anything..
    You may be right, and I'm sorry if I came off as merely snide. The post made me angry because it was a smug response to a simple and honest question.

Ok, when you register, you are a member of that party. You vote in primary elections to determine the nominee within the party so that the person running in the general election is the one who represents the views of the majority.
    but "registering" seems to be a repeating process, all the time people need to "register". If you had a nationwide system where the (contributing) members of each party would select their candidate, then all this primary humbug would not be necessary. One campaign within each party and one round of votes would be enough.

And by the way, when you are registered as a member, what other rights does that give you, apart from participating in the primaries?

You may think that I am critising your system (out of tradition or so), but I think there are much more simple and cost effective ways to select political leaders.
    Last edited by henk4; 05-15-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Don't know much about US politics and I can't say I care much for politics in general. With that in mind, I think cracked.com captured it best...

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Don't know much about US politics and I can't say I care much for politics in general. With that in mind, I think cracked.com captured it best...
    another example of the fashionable nihilistic approach...

another example of the fashionable nihilistic approach...
    Not quite sure what nihilistic means either
    According to my electronic thesauris it means revolutionary or radical, still not sure though.

On a more serious note, if voting seems like an important thing to do to anyone then by all means go ahead and do it. I just say why stop at voting? Run for governor!

Thread Information