Thread: Hyundai Genesis Concept

Hyundai Genesis Concept

HYUNDAI TO UNVEIL CONCEPT GENESIS PREMIUM SPORTS SEDAN
    Rear-Wheel Drive and V-8 Engine Promise World Class Dynamics and Refinement

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., 03/26/2007 Hyundai will present the world debut of Concept Genesis during a press conference at the New York International Auto Show on April 4. The concept car heralds the future architecture and design of a rear-wheel drive premium sports sedan scheduled to grace the Hyundai lineup in 2008.

“Concept Genesis extends our product range into new territories from a performance, design and packaging perspective,” said Steve Wilhite, chief operating officer, Hyundai Motor America. “When it arrives in 2008 it will catapult Hyundai into competition against some potent rivals, and Genesis is up for the challenge.” Concept Genesis rides on a prototype of Hyundai’s all-new rear-wheel drive platform, signaling the brand’s desire to broaden its appeal to discerning driving enthusiasts. Concept Genesis is powered by Hyundai’s newly developed Tau DOHC 32-valve V-8 powertrain. Concept Genesis marks the beginning of premium performance for the Hyundai brand.

“Concept Genesis is a manifestation of Hyundai’s extraordinary desire to deliver world-class products across all model segments,” said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “With Genesis, we’ve got a unique product position -- an all-new, highly capable, rear-wheel drive platform; a high-performance powertrain; and premium, progressive design – all at a price starting well under $30,000.”

NEW REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE ARCHITECTURE IS A FIRST FOR THE U.S.

Concept Genesis features a rear-wheel-drive architecture, its first application in a U.S. Hyundai model. Rear-wheel drive provides a 53:47 front/rear weight distribution for optimal handling as well as more refined steering characteristics. Concept Genesis’ premium handling and steering performance is further controlled by Electronic Stability Control (ESC), the industry’s most important new safety technology. Hyundai leads all popular car brands in the standard application of ESC, with more than 70 percent of 2007 Hyundai sales volume featuring this life-saving technology as standard equipment. ESC continually analyzes road speed, steering input, throttle position, lateral yaw rate and other factors. An onboard microprocessor determines if the vehicle is starting to understeer or oversteer, and can brake appropriate wheels and reduce engine power to keep the vehicle safely on course.

Utilizing ultra high-tensile steel in critical areas in the unibody provides Concept Genesis with a 12-14 percent higher dynamic torsional rigidity and a lower body-in-white weight than the BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. This stiffer, lighter, larger body provides a terrific foundation for world-class dynamics and lowering noise levels inside the vehicle.

Tau v-8 powertrain

Adding to the Concept Genesis’ performance factor is the all-new Tau 4.6-liter V8 engine mated to a ZF 6-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual control and a limited-slip differential. The Tau delivers well over 300 horsepower to fit the demands of performance-oriented consumers. This powertrain combination will launch Genesis to 60 miles per hour in well under six seconds. The Tau engine is built with flexibility for the future. Future Tau variants may offer larger displacement, forced induction options and other technology enhancements.

INNOVATIVE AND SOPHISTICATED SPORT-TUNED SUSPENSION

Genesis features a suspension design that is among the most sophisticated and refined anywhere, at any price. The front five-link suspension features upper and lower arms linking the front wheels to the chassis. This artfully articulated arrangement creates a virtual king pin axis which dramatically reduces unwanted kickback through the steering wheel as well as improving responsiveness. The five-link independent rear suspension is equally sophisticated, enabling precise suspension geometry for an incredible level of ride and handling prowess. The capabilities of the advanced front and rear-suspension are maximized through driver selectable dynamic settings allowing tailored ride and handling characteristics according to need … or desire.

SAFETY FEATURES

Maintaining Hyundai's emphasis on delivering leading safety technology, Concept Genesis boasts world class active and passive safety features to both prevent accidents, and maximize the well being of its occupants in the event of a collision. The Genesis continues the Hyundai tradition of standardizing key life-saving active safety technology such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with traction control, eight airbags and active headrests.

Concept Genesis is brought to a halt by large four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). The 12.6-inch front rotors have single-piston floating calipers and the rear brakes feature 12.4-inch rotors with single-pistons.

TECHNOLOGY

· Advanced adaptive cruise control
    · Electronic Stability Control
    · Eight airbags
    · Heat / cool seats
    · High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive leveling
    · Push-button start
    · Navigation with backup camera
    · Electric parking brake
    · Bluetooth technology
    · USB / Auxiliary input jack
    · HD Radio™ Receiver
    · XM Satellite Radio®
    · Infinity® Discrete Surround Audio System

GENESIS PREMIUM SPORTS SEDAN SPECIFICATIONS

· Configuration: FR Engine RWD Sport Sedan
    · Wheelbase: 2935 mm / 115.6 inches
    · Overall length: 5005 mm / 197.0 inches
    · Overall width: 1863 mm / 73.3 inches
    · Overall height: 1490 mm / 58.7 inches
    · Track, f/r: 1575 mm / 62.0 inches, 1580 mm / 62.2 inches
    · Wheels: 20-inch multi-spoke
    · Engine type: V8
    · Estimated horsepower: Well over 300HP
    · Estimated torque: Over 300 lb. ft.
    · Displacement: 4,627 cc
    · Block material: High pressure die casting aluminum block
    · Cylinder head material: Aluminum
    · Valvetrain: Dual Over Head Cam (DOHC)
    · Valve timing: Continuous variable valve timing
    · Variable induction system
    · Fuel delivery: Multi-port fuel injection
    · Bore & stroke: 92 x 87
    · Estimated 0-60 mph: well under 6.0 seconds
    · Top speed: 130 mph (restricted)
    · Recommended fuel: Unleaded
    · Transmission type: ZF 6-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual control
    · Suspension: Front multi-link (5-link) / Rear multi-link (5-link)
    · Stabilizer bar (front/rear): 26 mm/18 mm
    · Weight distribution front to rear: 53:47 · Brakes: Power-assisted 4-wheel disc
    · Front brake diameter (mm / in): 320 / 12.6 ventilated disc
    · Rear brake diameter (mm / in): 314 / 12.4 solid disc
    · Steering type: Speed-sensing rack-and-pinion
    · Steering ratio: 14.86

Source: hyundainews.com

a 4.6 liter hyundai?

*slowly backs away*

In all honesty the technical side looks a bit too impressive? If the chassis is lighter and stiffer than that of the 5 series then it ought to get some respect. However they can't just step into the ring with the E-class, 5 series and A6 without some anticipation/respect.

The technology in the initial post doesnt seem like anything you wouldn't get in say a focus, (heated seats, bluetooth etc)

To sell you can tell it will be dirt cheap and 2nd hand buyers will love the savage depreciation.
    autozine.org

S-class size for C-class money. Amazing. On the other hand a cheap V8 rear driven car? Of course it's welcome, no matter which badge it wears...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Holy crap! What is going on?! Up is down, no is yes! Hyundai is making a powerful car!

Honestly, what they've been doing for a while now is copying other brands from the 90's, which are still great looking, and not these crappy new japanese brands, hence they're coming out with some pretty good looking cars.

Take the tiburion for instance. Great looking car! Totally copies the 90's japanese sports cars, which are no longer in production, but only on the surface. It is a car for those who really couldn't afford the JP high-powered sports car. Good looks, but economy under the hood and in the wallet.

This car, definitely a german inspired car, but this time with the guts to back that up. I'm pretty impressed! However, I question if Hyundai is where they seem to think they are. This car may be under 30k, but a lot of cars are, and I don't know if they have that type of name yet.

If they are, I'm impressed, and a bit worried. On one side, good for them, Hyundai has done some pretty amazing things in turning their image around during my lifetime. They've gone from trash in terms of reputation to being pretty respectible. On the other hand, the car market is a fiercely competitive market, and if hyundai is in this place, they're going to be pushing someone else out, and it's no small chance that'll be an american market share.
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 03-31-2007 at 08:00 AM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I'm impressed, it looks good too. I see Maserati are sharing rear lights with Hyundai these days, which is ok as they could take some lessons in styling from their Korean counterparts. Any chance this will be coming to Europe?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I still don't think that Hyundai is ready to compete in the luxury sement. True they have a lot going for this car such as being priced drastically below other companies, but it also has a lot going against it too such as depreciation.

I think they should just design a car to compete against the Toyota Avalon right now rather than getting rid of the Azera and going after the Barvarians Motors.
    I'm a real boy!

Hyundai Genesis Concept #2
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Hyundai Genesis Concept #3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information