Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new wheels and tires on the jeep.

new wheels and tires on the jeep.

well I have an axle swap in the works as well as lots of other mods (have all the parts just waiting for free space at my friends shop) and I got a new set of wheels and tires to put on once I got everything done. Well most of the other work has been being delayed and we got a bunch of snow so my old bald all terrains just weren't cutting it so I broke down and threw the new wheels and tires on anyways so I'm not always getting stuck in the snow.

First I'll show the transformation of the wheels. I found a good deal on a set of stock jeep alloys locally. In the jeep world these wheels are known as canyons. I always liked the way the spokes dished in but I thought they needed some extra flair so I decided to paint them and make myself a custom set.

this is how they looked stock.

Here they are after the primer and satin black stages. Honestly this is originally the exact look I was going for but since I havent ever really painted anything before (something I spent serious time on at least) I didn't realize the clear coat (yet to be applied here) would add a considerable gloss to the satin black.

Well here they are with the clear on there. They turned out a lil shinier than I originally wanted but I was still extremely please with how they turned out.

Picture with a rim sitting on top of one of the new tires

close up detail. What a pain in the ass taping everything, not to mention the seemingly countless thin coats of primer, paint, and clear! Argh and the sanding between coats.....so much sanding. But the finished look was worth it!

Mounted up on the nice new tires!

and finally many months later I got to put them on lol!
    Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics

BEFORE:

annnnd AFTER:

Hope you guys like!
    Last edited by Juggs; 12-19-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Very cool! I approve

I've been waiting for a moment like this since i have been on the pages.. very nice

I have 31's on my blazer.. those coopers are expensive man.. should have stuck with the AT's
    Last edited by SupraMan22; 12-19-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22 View Post
    I've been waiting for a moment like this since i have been on the pages.. very nice

I have 31's on my blazer.. those coopers are expensive man.. should have stuck with the AT's
    they're not bad. Only 600 bucks for the set. bf goodie AT's (which are highly over rated) are like $725. The coopers are a great tire, I used to run them on my cherokee too. Also I need a mud terrain for the kind of stuff I like to get into. I wouldn't mind seeing your blazer either, My friend has a ZR2 blazer sitting on 33x15's. That things a pig but its kinda neat to look at.

PS- niko, hey I have family that lives in boyton beach, how do you like it out there? Do you like captain dan and the scurvy crew?
    Last edited by Juggs; 12-19-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

What was the need for sanding in between coats of everything? Also you could always mask off the silver parts, scuff the black and spray it with a black to get rid of the gloss look. I've been thinking about painting a car with sealer(flat color) then putting clear on it, I wonder how that'd look.

They look great on the truck. Any ideas for tires for a stock, daily driven, pickup?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Very cool looking...

I like it...
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Nice job it looks good.
    UCP FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    they're not bad. Only 600 bucks for the set. bf goodie AT's (which are highly over rated) are like $725. The coopers are a great tire, I used to run them on my cherokee too. Also I need a mud terrain for the kind of stuff I like to get into. I wouldn't mind seeing your blazer either, My friend has a ZR2 blazer sitting on 33x15's. That things a pig but its kinda neat to look at.

PS- niko, hey I have family that lives in boyton beach, how do you like it out there?
    Boring and full of old people The wifey and I have to hit Miami Beach on a regular basis to have some fun... But other than that is nice and clean, typical South Florida town

Do you like captain dan and the scurvy crew?
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Boring and full of old people The wifey and I have to hit Miami Beach on a regular basis to have some fun... But other than that is nice and clean, typical South Florida town

huh?
    Authentic pirate hip-hop music group from the treasure coast.

EDIT: they are crap too.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Sweet, dude. Looks nice. Have you had a chance to really enjoy them yet or has it mostly be on the little stuff?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Sweet, dude. Looks nice. Have you had a chance to really enjoy them yet or has it mostly be on the little stuff?
    I tested them out a little bit in the snow but nothin too crazy yet. They get way more traction than those damn bald terrains did tho I tell you what. If my rear end wasnt on the verge of giving out I might get a little crazier but I'm going to wait till I have the new ford 8.8 axle swapped in with a locker and forged shafts. Then I'll be way more daring!

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Authentic pirate hip-hop music group from the treasure coast.

EDIT: they are crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post

huh?
    baddabang is right, well at least about the authentic pirate hip hop part I dunno if I'd say they are crap tho. LOL. Maybe its because my cousin is captain dan and my other cousin scott is in the group as well, but I'm pretty sure I'd like them even if I wasn't related lol. They are based out of boynton beach tho so I thought maybe you'd heard of them

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    What was the need for sanding in between coats of everything? Also you could always mask off the silver parts, scuff the black and spray it with a black to get rid of the gloss look. I've been thinking about painting a car with sealer(flat color) then putting clear on it, I wonder how that'd look.

They look great on the truck. Any ideas for tires for a stock, daily driven, pickup?
    The sanding between coats is to ensure an even surface. If you don't sand you wind up with high spots, orange peel, and all kinds of other unesthetically pleasing problems. The sanding gives a nice even surface and gives the additional coats something to grab on to!

as for tires, If you mainly just drive on the road any old set of light truck tires will do just fine. If you get off the road sometimes or just want a more rugged look get yourself a nice set of (non BFG) all terrains. What kind of truck is it? Chances are you can at least fit a bigger size tire on it which you may as well do if you plan on getting tires anyways.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

I actually love the BFG all terrains on my dad's truck, well, for all terrains, but they aren't bald. Does a pretty huge difference.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I actually love the BFG all terrains on my dad's truck, well, for all terrains, but they aren't bald. Does a pretty huge difference.
    They are a good tire, theres just others out there that work just as well if not better for much cheaper. Theres also many all terrain "copies" that are made on the exact molds in the exact factory as the BFG's but they have a different name on them and are sold for much MUCH less. I remember a few years back they had one called "caviliers" at farm and fleet that had them, that may have changed now tho. They are also sold under other brands as well.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Powder coat would have been a better option if you were after a flat appearance. A little tougher, too.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Powder coat would have been a better option if you were after a flat appearance. A little tougher, too.
    and 10x more expensive! Not to mention some people will argue that powdercoating a cast wheel weakens the hell out of it. Theres a bunch of pictures on the net of people who powdercoated their wheels and then ended up shattering them. No thanks, this jeep is pretty much a budget build. I only have about 150 dollars tied up into these wheels
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information