Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new wheels and tires on the jeep.

Nicely done, shame about the gloss. The jeep is coming on really nicely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    and 10x more expensive! Not to mention some people will argue that powdercoating a cast wheel weakens the hell out of it. Theres a bunch of pictures on the net of people who powdercoated their wheels and then ended up shattering them. No thanks, this jeep is pretty much a budget build. I only have about 150 dollars tied up into these wheels
    Fair enough. I know how budget constraints effect your purchases. Simply brought it up because you wanted a flat finish.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Lol thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments Even tho I didn't get the original satin finish I wanted I don't mind the gloss one bit once it was finished. Still looks good and its still not super glossy like it would have been had I used a gloss finish paint instead of satin
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

I'm sure after they get weathered a bit they won't look as glossy. Nice job though, they look good.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The sanding between coats is to ensure an even surface. If you don't sand you wind up with high spots, orange peel, and all kinds of other unesthetically pleasing problems. The sanding gives a nice even surface and gives the additional coats something to grab on to!

as for tires, If you mainly just drive on the road any old set of light truck tires will do just fine. If you get off the road sometimes or just want a more rugged look get yourself a nice set of (non BFG) all terrains. What kind of truck is it? Chances are you can at least fit a bigger size tire on it which you may as well do if you plan on getting tires anyways.
    I paint cars for a living. I've never done the sanding between coats except for primer, never in between sealer, base, clear. Usually with wheels you can't see the peel to bad.

It's a 2000 GMC Sierra 4wd. It mainly just sees roads, so I guess I'll just see what I can get a deal on.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I paint cars for a living. I've never done the sanding between coats except for primer, never in between sealer, base, clear. Usually with wheels you can't see the peel to bad.

It's a 2000 GMC Sierra 4wd. It mainly just sees roads, so I guess I'll just see what I can get a deal on.
    You can fit 33's on that truck stock, you just have to trim a tiny but of the plastic peice that sticks out the bottom of your bumper. Not sure how wide they can be but I would guess 33x12 or 12.5 would be fine! You could also get lift blocks in the back and turn your front torsion bars a little bit for some extra (not to mention CHEAAAP) lift! It definatley makes the truck look good sitting on 33's (my friend has this exact setup actually) even if it mainly sees road time.

Also maybe I made it harder on myself than I had to but I like I said I never really painted anything before and I wanted to ensure it turned out good. Also I don't think I mentioned I used a rattle can (SEM self etching primer, and VHT wheel paint and VHT wheel clear). Not sure if that might make sanding a little more necessary vs normal automotive paint in a spray gun.

Anyways we got some wicked drifts today (along with high winds and -30 wind chills) I pulled down this country road to bust some drifts but I didnt know what I was getting into. Before I knew it there was 5 foot high drifts covering the whole road. I knew I wouldn't make it but I had too much momentum to stop in time. Got her burried right when the bad stuff started lol. Luckly I was all geared up and I also had all my straps and stuff with me and a plow guy came across me shortly and pulled me right out.

Then on the way home I figured I'd "pass it along" and saw this girl who spun her car into a ditch. She was in there pretty good lol. It was a brand new impala. The back tire was like 8 inches off the ground lol. Her dad was there just about to call a tow truck ($$$!!!) I told him to put his phone away and pulled her right out

Last edited by Juggs; 12-21-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

You can fit 33's on that truck stock, you just have to trim a tiny but of the plastic peice that sticks out the bottom of your bumper. Not sure how wide they can be but I would guess 33x12 or 12.5 would be fine! You could also get lift blocks in the back and turn your front torsion bars a little bit for some extra (not to mention CHEAAAP) lift! It definatley makes the truck look good sitting on 33's (my friend has this exact setup actually) even if it mainly sees road time.

Also maybe I made it harder on myself than I had to but I like I said I never really painted anything before and I wanted to ensure it turned out good. Also I don't think I mentioned I used a rattle can (SEM self etching primer, and VHT wheel paint and VHT wheel clear). Not sure if that might make sanding a little more necessary vs normal automotive paint in a spray gun.

Then on the way home I figured I'd "pass it along" and saw this girl who spun her car into a ditch. She was in there pretty good lol. It was a brand new impala. The back tire was like 8 inches off the ground lol. Her dad was there just about to call a tow truck ($$$!!!) I told him to put his phone away and pulled her right out
    I gotta go the cheap route, cheap tires ftw.
    I'm sure it helps with the rattle can, never done much painting with them.
    Did you score some digits?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Spray cans are infinitly easier to use with one of these

I am the Stig

they're not bad. Only 600 bucks for the set. bf goodie AT's (which are highly over rated) are like $725. The coopers are a great tire, I used to run them on my cherokee too. Also I need a mud terrain for the kind of stuff I like to get into. I wouldn't mind seeing your blazer either, My friend has a ZR2 blazer sitting on 33x15's. That things a pig but its kinda neat to look at.

PS- niko, hey I have family that lives in boyton beach, how do you like it out there? Do you like captain dan and the scurvy crew?
    It's on here, just search for it lol. I just got priced on a set of BFG 31x10.50's.. 540 plus tax.. My wheels were only 40 a piece too. Have two friends with lifted cherokees, one has a 3" Rusty's and 31x10.50 BFG MT's. The other has a 4.5 Rusty's and 33x12.50 Pro Comp AT's. Needless to say i'm getting a 98 cherokee in early january, Maybe do the 2" Spacers and 30's. Waiting for my big check from UPS though.

Heres a link to a pic of mine -- http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...8&d=1210792218
    Last edited by SupraMan22; 12-21-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22 View Post
    It's on here, just search for it lol. I just got priced on a set of BFG 31x10.50's.. 540 plus tax.. My wheels were only 40 a piece too. Have two friends with lifted cherokees, one has a 3" Rusty's and 31x10.50 BFG MT's. The other has a 4.5 Rusty's and 33x12.50 Pro Comp AT's. Needless to say i'm getting a 98 cherokee in early january, Maybe do the 2" Spacers and 30's. Waiting for my big check from UPS though.
    Do 31's if your going to do spacers, You can fit 30's stock. Dunno where you got that price but congrats I have never heard of them going for that cheap. Still don't know why anybody would pay that much for a different name to be written on the tire but you like them then more power to ya! I know tons of people who won't run anything else. Here's my old cherokee sittin on 30's...No lift and worn out leafs in back. Also please don't tell me you plan on running a rusty's lift some day like your friends lol

That damn old cherokee was a tank. I'd trust that thing to get me through way more snow than my new grand. Probably just because it was just so solid and brick-like that I wasn't afraid to gun it like a mad man to get it through! the 30's on stock height were awesome. The new grand all lifted and no sway bar connected right now just makes it too wobbly to get too ballsy. It also is just too clunky to get crazy without getting nervous. All that will change once I get the rest of my parts installed tho!
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I gotta go the cheap route, cheap tires ftw.
    I'm sure it helps with the rattle can, never done much painting with them.
    Did you score some digits?
    Haha no I didn't and she was with her boyfriend too Her dad was there too lol and he tried to pay me but I turned that down too. Guess I was just looking for good karma.

check out Ultra Grip Tires, Retread Tire | TreadWright, Inc. for some cheap good tires
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

That car needs a wash!
    When you can produce skidmarks from the exit of one corner to the braking-point of the next, you have enough HORSEPOWER!

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    That car needs a wash!
    Havent you seen the add where the Jeep just shrugs off the mud
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Thread Information