Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: mustang vs Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Congrats! did you get the premium interior?
    Thanks!

yes of course! the basic model is awful. i took some pics today, i'll post them in the User's ride section.

If I had to choose between a 2010 mustang and a new camaro, I hate to say it but I'd have a hard time picking the stang, especially in v6 form. I'm a mustang guy through and through but the 2010 styling doesn't do it for me, so if I was to get a 4.6 car I'd go for an 05-09. HOWEVER, the new 2011 mustangs are total money buisness. The new v6 is incredible (I think 15 horse left than the old v8), and the new 5.0 is even more mind blowing. Better handling, accel, braking, quality, well....basically everything is better than the camaro. Well I might have to still give it to the camaro in the looks department. Something with these new stangs just doesn't sit right with me, but I still think they look good. The camaro I hated at first but once I started seeing them show up on the roads I fell in love, I think they look bad ass. I'd take a 5.0 stang over the camaro any day though.

Right now as far as muscle cars go you just can't beat the mustang. Best gas milage, best performance, best quality, nicest to drive, and best of all least expensive. They are a real winner. Good job ford!
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    There were a couple of companies making IRS units for this chassis years back, but I don't recall if they are still in business. And as I recall, those conversions were quite expensive to have done. For alot less money you could put some really good brake pads and tires on the new GT and tear up the road courses like no tomorrow. I know it seems quite alien to consider for those who haven't experienced one first hand, but these newer Mustangs really do handle well above what their rear suspension would suggest of their capabilities. The only thing IRS would offer them is better ride comfort, which isn't required for winding through the turns as fast as possible.
    I could be wrong but I have never heard of any aftermarket company making IRS for mustangs. HOWEVER, there are people who use the IRS out of the sn-95 cobras and retrofit them into mustangs from 79-04.

Mustangs get a bad rap because of their (mostly) solid rear axles, but with proper setups they can achieve extremely good, race winning handling even with the live axle back there
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Now that the Camaro is coming to Europe, maybe Ford will be brave enough...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    I could be wrong but I have never heard of any aftermarket company making IRS for mustangs. HOWEVER, there are people who use the IRS out of the sn-95 cobras and retrofit them into mustangs from 79-04.
    I was referring to the 05+ chassis. There were at least two custom companies that were offering a retrofit IRS conversion for the S197 Mustangs back when they first came out, but the job billed up close to 10K. I don't know of a lot of owners who had it done, so I'd be surprised if either of those companies are still offering such a conversion.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Now that the Camaro is coming to Europe, maybe Ford will be brave enough...
    Seems to me like they'd have to regardless of other considerations if they want to sell it in Europe. People here are pretty snobby about the solid axel, I don't think it would have a chance over there.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Seems to me like they'd have to regardless of other considerations if they want to sell it in Europe. People here are pretty snobby about the solid axel, I don't think it would have a chance over there.
    Well, I doubt anyone interested in it would care.

The thing is, the Camaro doesn't have a live rear axle, but it still is pretty big and heavy and not at all what we are used to drive. So probably, it will fail spectularly.

The Mustang on the other hand, is a bit of the same, with the differences I know but in Europe those would be pretty much irrelevant, but has an iconic name and it is smaller and lighter. So it probably would sell better than the Chevy.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I wonder if the IRS Ford had developed for the car could be retrofitted?
    I am the Stig

UPDATE:

I just drove both cars back to back. This time, the mustang had the 3.73 rear end.

I was kind of leaning toward the camaro for the last few weeks. I think it has a nicer interior and is roomier and a bit more mature. I went and drove both and i have once again fallen head over heels in love with the mustang again.

My dad said it nicely when he said, "the longer its been since you drove the camaro, the more you like it. But whenever you drive one, you dont like it very much. The longer you go after driving the mustang, the less you like it. But whenever you drive one, you love it."

That pretty much sums up my feelings.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Well.. how often will you drive it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Neat post, thanks for sharing!

Thread Information