Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C

The engine of that car looks like the engine in my B13 (just kidding) .

But seriously, i think I prefer the looks of the orginal McLaren super car to this one.

Wil this car achieve 0-60 in less than 2.9 seconds and still be affordable??? This will be the true test of its ability.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Wil this car achieve 0-60 in less than 2.9 seconds and still be affordable??? This will be the true test of its ability.
    No it won't. No it isn't.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I dont think the task is going to be any harder than it would for someone like Koennigsegg for instance.
    I think Koennigsegg has built in the range of 50 cars total, each costing close to a million dollars and all built entirely by hand; not a dissimilar run from the F1. In other words, it's easy to keep the QC up when you're building one car at a time. However, in series run the question becomes can the car be as usable and reliable as the 458 Italia, the Gallardo and even the Porsche Turbo.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

The point of the "soft" and "hard" setting is a thing of the past. The idea for these new electronic suspension was about eliminating compromises. The reason why you have soft and hard at all was that with conventional design you cannot make something that encompasses both, but now you can with the use of electronically controlled dampers like the MR or whatever this uses. Sure racing cars are still just hard, but that's because they have no need for soft, and the rule does not permit any form of controlled suspension....

2800-2900 lb would be considered a lightweight by today's standard, a 911 Turbo is over 3200lb, so is the standard spec Ferrari 458/F430/F360 line of car, with the road going amenities. The hard core stripped models are lighter.

I am curious as to who actually build the powertrain in this thing, as it is sort of strange for McLaren to completely build the powertrain in house.

As far as the quality goes, I think as with anything McLaren this should be pretty impeccable. The F1 was an amazing car, I can only imagine this will be too, especially this is not a "McLaren Mercedes", but an actual McLaren....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I didn't read the 10,000 word press release; did anyone see if they are using variable geometry turbos?

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    No it won't. No it isn't.
    So, what then will make this car great?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I didn't read the 10,000 word press release; did anyone see if they are using variable geometry turbos?
    They do not state such a thing in the press release

(Didn't read the Press Release - Tip: just use Ctrl-F for the keyword that you want to search each time)
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

So, what then will make this car great?
    Because whoever has the 0-60 that beats* others by a tenth doesn't* matter a damn bit when it comes to awesome road cars.

Only teenagers define great auto's based on bhp and 0-60.
    Last edited by LTSmash; 09-09-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Further to the name thing:

The new McLaren supercar is called MP4-12C. Interestingly, this name is even more closely related to its formula one root than the mighty F1 supercar. In fact, Mclaren used the label MP4/12 on its 1997 race car driven by Mika Hakkinen. What does MP4-12C mean? MP4 is the default designation of McLaren's race car since Ron Dennis' Project 4 team bought out McLaren in 1981. 12 is the performance index of this car - expect to see an MP4-10 and MP4-16 in the future. Finally, C refers to the carbon-fiber chassis it employs.
    Further to the G35 thing.. this isn't a 'new F1'. It won't be as fast, as exclusive or as astounding. But then.. it's much cheaper, more accessible and more 'every day'. The short measure of its success will be the inevitable comparisons to the Ferrari 458.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It won't be as fast, as exclusive or as astounding.
    Correct.

I am curious about the supercar that McLaren are preparing. It is said to be in the lines of the Carrera GT. That car will have a very tough job because it will be on the same segment as the F1. Of course McLaren would never admit it, but it WILL be the same car more or less.

Maybe a bigger V8? V10? All carbon? No luxuries? 2 seater?

I guess that they won't try to make a Veyron beater in terms of outright horsepower, but I will just mention Gordon Murray's opinion on this: He said that in order for the F1 to beat the Veyron's top speed, 800 hp was enough, due to superior aerodynamics.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Nice final remark there!
    LOL, that's good stuff. If you're a car guy, you've got to love Jay Leno.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Because whoever has the 0-60 that beats* others by a tenth doesn't* matter a damn bit when it comes to awesome road cars.

Only teenagers define great auto's based on bhp and 0-60.
    Such conclusions are sometimes considered a "fallacy of composition". Most adults are unaware of this.

Such conclusions are sometimes considered a "fallacy of composition". Most adults are unaware of this.
    I guess we can't all win the battle of semantics on the UCP forums, can we?

Late to the party, but as has been mentioned before, I think it's not the greatest looking car but should drive fantastically. Looks to be significantly faster than the 458 and gallardo, and I would be surprised if it didn't drive spectacularly. Personally I'd rather have functional aero than looks, but both would be better and it is a little disapointing that it doesn't look a little better even in a subdued, not screaming "look at me" sort of way.

And lol at Leno. Guy's one of my heroes.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I think some people are underestimating just how fast this thing will be, relative to its competition. The 430 scuderia does 0.38 bhp/kg, this McLaren is pushing 0.46 bhp / kg coupled with the mono-carbon tub, trick aerodynamics, and a McLaren 7-speed gearbox.. it's going to be QUICK
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information