Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG (W463) 1998-2010

And more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last...

great car the G 55.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.5 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (101.2 KB, 18 views)

It's an odd car, this one.

This is because someone, somwhere, sat down and said, "I know, let's give it the standard chassis, beefed looks, wheels off a C55 (smaller, though) and a socking great 5.5 V8".

Then someone else said, "No, let's not be pansies about this. Let's give it a supercharger and a huge price tag."

They're mad for these things in Bulgaria, when i went, it was the car of choice for....

-Bulgarian pop star (bad singer)
    -The Mafia (nearly got run over by the guys that owned the hotel)
    -The drug dealers

It's like a Range Rover, but cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    It's an odd car, this one.

This is because someone, somwhere, sat down and said, "I know, let's give it the standard chassis, beefed looks, wheels off a C55 (smaller, though) and a socking great 5.5 V8".

Then someone else said, "No, let's not be pansies about this. Let's give it a supercharger and a huge price tag."

They're mad for these things in Bulgaria, when i went, it was the car of choice for....

-Bulgarian pop star (bad singer)
    -The Mafia (nearly got run over by the guys that owned the hotel)
    -The drug dealers

It's like a Range Rover, but cooler.
    I'm starting to really, REALLY like Bulgaria.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Huh?!?

Did you see the Top Gear episode on it?
    I did, I wet myself
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG (2008)

Following its most recent makeover, the G 55 AMG from Mercedes-AMG is now even more attractive. Boasting an upgraded performance of 373 kW/507 hp, this offroad classic has also been given a fresh look, incorporating a reworked radiator grille and new 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels. Inside, the exclusive interior features the latest generation of telematics equipment and optional climatised seats in combination with designo leather upholstery for enhanced passenger comfort.
    The inclusion of some of the latest technology has made this classic from the AMG stable fit for the future. Thanks to the integration of a new engine control unit, the performance of the supercharged AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine has been nudged up from 368 kW/500 hp to 373 kW/507 hp, with maximum torque remaining at 700 Nm. Likewise unchanged is the vehicle’s effortless performance, with the G 55 AMG accelerating from zero to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds and peaking at a top speed of 210 km/h (electronically limited).
    The upgraded G 55 AMG also features improvements in the areas of safety and comfort. The Electronic Stability Program (ESP®), for example, now boasts a new and more powerful control unit, incorporating a transverse acceleration control to allow more precise recognition of dynamic driving situations and thus provide even better vehicle stability. In addition, the new G 55 AMG now comes with a hill-start assist. A sensor recognises whenever the off-roader comes to a halt on an ascending gradient. The system instantly memorises the braking pressure applied and maintains this for a short instant, giving drivers sufficient time to move from the brake to the accelerator pedal without the vehicle rolling backward. The big advantage of this technology is that in most cases it eliminates the need to use the parking brake.
    Discreet but effective design modifications
    The new G 55 AMG boasts discreet but effective design modifications,including
    a new radiator grille with three distinctive horizontal bars that are painted the same colour as the rest of the body and - exclusive to the AMG top-of-the-range model - also feature chrome inserts. Moving around the vehicle, the highlight of the side view are the new polished 19-inch five-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels painted titanium grey. They are 9.5 inches wide and equipped with 275/55 R 19 tyres that impressively bulk out the wheel arches.
    Still a standard feature of the AMG body-styling package are the bumpers painted in body colour and the characteristic AMG wide fenders. Other features include a brushed-aluminium trim set boasting a distinctive AMG logo and the twin oval chrome tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system, emerging from beneath the stainless-steel running boards on either side of the vehicle - an unmistakable sign of the power of the supercharged AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine.
    New COMAND APS and designo leather upholstery fitted as standard
    The G 55 AMG also underscores its exclusive character with designo leather upholstery, which is standard and now features a new silver-coloured designo emblem on the front backrests. The seats are colour-coordinated with the designo decorative wood trim as well as the wood/leather steering wheel and the redesigned wood/leather selector lever bearing a G 55 logo. Also new is the interior roof lining made of anthracite Alcantara. Helping to enhance passenger comfort, particularly in the summer months, are the new climatised seats, which are available for the first time with this model.
    Drivers of the new G 55 AMG will also benefit from the latest generation of telematics equipment developed by Mercedes. The standard equipment COMAND APS system boasts a high-definition 6.5-inch colour display, rapid HDD navigation with aerial view, LINGUATRONIC for controlling audio, navigation and phone systems, a 4 GB memory for music files, and a slot for SD memory cards. Also available as an option is a DVDchanger and a universal interface for plugging in USB sticks, iPods, or other external audio devices.
    The G 55 AMG is only available as a long-wheelbase station wagon with five doors. The vehicle will be available from September 2008 at a price of
    121,618 euros (incl. 19 percent sales tax).
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG (2008) #2
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Just what a world on the verge of an oil crisis needs.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Just what a world on the verge of an oil crisis needs.
    it's more useful than the M6 (rim) in your avatar...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it's more useful than the M6 (rim) in your avatar...
    Actually that's an M5. Both of which are more useful than the G55 because they can take a turn without flipping over.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

i like it, it's like a brick with a AMG engine stuffed in, now if it only had a machine gun on top

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Actually that's an M5. Both of which are more useful than the G55 because they can take a turn without flipping over.
    just because a car can take a turn it doesn't mean it's useful. they, the MB G AMG and the Ms, have more power than what they need to do whatever they would be use, since the G AMG isn't a proper off road or the Ms aren't proper trackday cars. I know the M5 is quite a good sport sedan, but it isn't "useful" since on the road you can do really fast wich much less power and on the track you would nedd much less weight to go really fast. on the other hand a G AMG has the worng tires and set up to be use off road or even on the snow as a standard G could.
    talking about "usefulness" a Prius is way better, which doesn't mean it's a good car or that I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    just because a car can take a turn it doesn't mean it's useful. they, the MB G AMG and the Ms, have more power than what they need to do whatever they would be use, since the G AMG isn't a proper off road or the Ms aren't proper trackday cars. I know the M5 is quite a good sport sedan, but it isn't "useful" since on the road you can do really fast wich much less power and on the track you would nedd much less weight to go really fast. on the other hand a G AMG has the worng tires and set up to be use off road or even on the snow as a standard G could.
    talking about "usefulness" a Prius is way better, which doesn't mean it's a good car or that I like it.
    The M5 could potentially be useful if you buy the wagon version.

Proof that if you give a brick enough power, it will go fast even if it has crappy aerodynamics. Quirky car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The M5 could potentially be useful if you buy the wagon version.

Proof that if you give a brick enough power, it will go fast even if it has crappy aerodynamics. Quirky car.
    I have heard about the speed the M5 could achieve without the speed limiter, but no one said that it could be stable or drivable at high speed as a true supercar is, which is simply impossible.

Thread Information